Looking for compositional music theory resources

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi people, as per topic I feel that I still lack a lot of knowledge when it comes to music theory, especially in the areas of melodic development and how to write music progressively.

I'm getting a bit fed up of only being able to create tunes that develop vertically (via layers of sound that are either on or off..) rather than horizontally.
I'm looking to be able to write music in a more horizontal and linear fashion so..

Are there any good resources out there that people can share links to or information about?

Cheers

Do you know the EIS (Equal Interval System)?

www.equalinterval.com

I'm studying it and I'm very excited about it. Much of it is stuff you can find also elsewhere but the approach is very unique and it really enables you to think differently, and thus write differently.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

For basic music theory, you can go to musictheory.net which is all done in flash.

For more in depth theory, go to:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/introduction.htm

If you can't find the links to get started there, here they are:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

Between those two sites, you shouldn't have a problem learning theory. There are more out there, but those are some good ones. Hope this helps.

Brent
My host is better than your host

gravehill wrote:Do you know the EIS (Equal Interval System)?

www.equalinterval.com

I'm studying it and I'm very excited about it. Much of it is stuff you can find also elsewhere but the approach is very unique and it really enables you to think differently, and thus write differently.
This looks interesting, but do you know how much it will cost? It's not available to buy yet. I've heard of it before. I only ask because I like compiling these resources to give to people who I either teach or who just ask where to go.

Brent
My host is better than your host

gravehill wrote:Do you know the EIS (Equal Interval System)?

www.equalinterval.com

Aye, I bookmarked this site a while back and have enquired about it. They recommended that I take some guided lessons with a graudate of this course to compliment the books and audio materials.
I have every intention of investigating this further when I goto the States this Summer as I think it may contain a lot of knowledge that is apt for my needs.
koolkeys wrote:For basic music theory, you can go to musictheory.net which is all done in flash.

For more in depth theory, go to:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/introduction.htm

If you can't find the links to get started there, here they are:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

Between those two sites, you shouldn't have a problem learning theory. There are more out there, but those are some good ones. Hope this helps.

Brent
Thanks for these links, I shall go through these and see if they help. :)

spuddle wrote:They recommended that I take some guided lessons with a graudate of this course to compliment the books and audio materials.
I have every intention of investigating this further when I goto the States this Summer as I think it may contain a lot of knowledge that is apt for my needs.
Guided lessons is what I'm doing and you don't have to go to USA for that, either. I'm living in Germany and my teacher is in Los Angeles. It works ok via Skype or telephone. Depending on the teacher, the prices for lessons vary between 55-65 USD. You can find more general info on this forum.

For more traditional music theory you can also check out MusicWeb.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

gravehill wrote:
spuddle wrote:They recommended that I take some guided lessons with a graudate of this course to compliment the books and audio materials.
Guided lessons is what I'm doing and you don't have to go to USA for that, either. I'm living in Germany and my teacher is in Los Angeles. It works ok via Skype or telephone. Depending on the teacher, the prices for lessons vary between 55-65 USD. You can find more general info on this forum.

For more traditional music theory you can also check out MusicWeb.
I am aware they do lessons over the phone however I am deaf and find it hard to communicate over the phone even with hearing aids.
I would much prefer to meet up with a teacher so I can lip-read them and it's generally easier for me that way.
I am relocating to the States and so with any luck I'll find someone I can commute to for lessons.

Cheers.

Return to “Music Theory”