Olga?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Olga

It's a pretty simple synth with a very obvious layout. If you know how to use a synth, you can work it out in about 5 minutes, with or without labels.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:02 am It's a pretty simple synth with a very obvious layout. If you know how to use a synth, you can work it out in about 5 minutes, with or without labels.
Looks like that, going by the screenshot. I just mean large part of the labels are kinda meaningless. Some of them are actual Russian words but not the ones that would make sense to write on a synth.

E.g. "мешалка" is something like that rather than a mixer in a synth

Some are fine though.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

That makes it even cooler!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

There is a button you press to change the labels to English

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:33 am Looks like that, going by the screenshot. I just mean large part of the labels are kinda meaningless. Some of them are actual Russian words but not the ones that would make sense to write on a synth.

E.g. "мешалка" is something like that rather than a mixer in a synth

that's the joke :)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:51 am Does anyone know how to make Olga's presets show up in Studio One? They show up fine in Orion but Studio One can't see them for some reason and, of course, Olga doesn't have anything resembling it's own preset management. I noticed on Schwa's forum someone had the same question about Reaper but it went unanswered.
Do you mean that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's what I expected but it's not there on my Studio One for whatever reason. (The list that reads "None" is the Input List.) I'm sure it used to work on my old machine. I even tried reinstalling Olga. Maybe there is a setting somewhere to turn it off and on, although when I add kHs One, I can see that preset list. If there is a switch, I can't find it and, as usual, the help is no help at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In Reaper, the presets don't show up in the Olga VST3i, but they're there if I use the VSTi instead - this might also be the case in Studio One?

recursive one wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:52 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:04 am
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 pm It's more fun to tweak it without English labels, IMHO.
When I’m looking to have that kind of fun on a computer I’ll run a game where I pretend to pilot an X-Wing fighter to take down the Empire. Pew pew!
Just looked a the screenshot, for me most of these labels don't seem to make much sense either, despite it's my first language.
It’s a good synth, no doubt, but a character synth that only gets occasional use. If I were using it all the time, I’d buy it despite the overly cute and confusing UI, but the combination of infrequent use and poor UI design makes it a no-go for me.

Maybe what gets me is that if you gave me a day with the UI I could make something way better. It could still look odd and “fun” but also be intuitive and clear to use.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Burillo wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:49 pm that's the joke :)
Sure, I just wanted to say that those who understand Russian don't have much advantage in reading this GUI over those who don't. :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I love the GUI but my issue is I can't get the two oscillators anywhere near in tune so unless I only use one, this synth is only good for grimy drones. I'm actually underwhelmed by its features and I wonder if they manage to make any money out of it. I certainly won't be spending mine!

Good, at least one plugin which you can't tune properly. :P It's by design, though. Real analog voltage controlled oscillators are always fluctuating in pitch ever so slightly, so this is all in that vein.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:39 am Good, at least one plugin which you can't tune properly. :P It's by design, though. Real analog voltage controlled oscillators are always fluctuating in pitch ever so slightly, so this is all in that vein.
I would be happy with that but the oscillators are tones apart from each other, not just fluctuating slightly in pitch. They are not even in harmony with each other. They sound vile together!

Beautiful, isn't it!?!
mrcleats wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:41 amIn Reaper, the presets don't show up in the Olga VST3i, but they're there if I use the VSTi instead - this might also be the case in Studio One?
You sir, are a frickin' genius! That did the trick. Thanks for taking the time. Thanks to DeePho, too.
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:34 amMaybe what gets me is that if you gave me a day with the UI I could make something way better. It could still look odd and “fun” but also be intuitive and clear to use.
I only needed about an hour of actually using it for it to become exactly that. I think the UI is absolutely incredible, probably the best I have ever seen. Yes, usability could maybe be a little bit better but I wouldn't want to make any big changes to it.

Erisian wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:49 am
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:39 am Good, at least one plugin which you can't tune properly. :P It's by design, though. Real analog voltage controlled oscillators are always fluctuating in pitch ever so slightly, so this is all in that vein.
I would be happy with that but the oscillators are tones apart from each other, not just fluctuating slightly in pitch. They are not even in harmony with each other. They sound vile together!
Did you know you can right click any control and type in a value? You can definitely get the two oscillators in tune enough. Each oscillator has a coarse tuning slider (+/-12 semitones), and osc 2 has a fine tune slider. When I have the coarse tune sliders set to 0 and osc 2 fine tune to 0, they are in tune but still drifting a little. Which is GOOD.

Return to “Instruments”