EMU Proteus X2 and Windows 7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I just discovered the EMU Proteus X2 incl. 2x2 MIDI interface and I am really thinking of getting this pack. Unfortunately my DAW is running on Windows 7 x64 which is not officially supported by EMU. So does anyone have experience (good or bad...) with running Proteus X2 running on Windows 7?
Any comment is appreciated!

Best,
Kristian
Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

crisis-at-music wrote:Hi,

I just discovered the EMU Proteus X2 incl. 2x2 MIDI interface and I am really thinking of getting this pack. Unfortunately my DAW is running on Windows 7 x64 which is not officially supported by EMU. So does anyone have experience (good or bad...) with running Proteus X2 running on Windows 7?
Any comment is appreciated!

Best,
Kristian
AFAIK... No! But seems that proteusVx can run (bridged) inside a 64bit DAW (expect some crash though) because it lacks the "dongle" copy protection software wich is strictly 32 bit. Probably the best solution is emulatorX3 wich should run fine on x64 systems. This is a link with more info about compatibility of the various versions
Free proteus Vx sounds:1/2/3

Thanks for the info. I will have a look into that forum. Interesting that the copy protection seems to be the restricting thing. (As always... ;-))
Instrumental synthwave/synthpop with classical elements: https://www.feiyr.com/x/CaMResonance2022

You can always use the free ProteusVX version.
It does not stream multisamples but it's rock solid.
However you cannot use the EMU commercial soundbanks (like Xtreme Lead) because of the CD protection.
http://www.emu.com/products/category.as ... tegory=527
The soundfactory sounbanks should work.

It works in Windows 7 64bit but you need to start it in XP SP3 compatibility mode and as administrator.
(go to the proteusvx.exe, right mouse button, compatibility)

If u use the vsti you also need to start the host (like cubase) in admin mode.

I own emulator-X2 and it does not work in 64bit because of the c-dilla protection.
The standalone version works in 7, 32 bit but not the vsti.

Emulator X3 uses challenge and Response and for this reason I'm not upgrading.
I think the EMU 2X2 as 'dongle' was a much better solution.
The EMU 2X2 is also rock solid and works fine in every windows version.

Vstream wrote:You can always use the free ProteusVX version.

However you cannot use the EMU commercial soundbanks (like Xtreme Lead) because of the CD protection.
Just bumping this because this is incorrect, I have bought 5 e-mu cd's from DV247

Virtuosso
Mo Phatt
Planet Earth
X-Treme Lead
Platinum 88(won't load the largest set though, need full version!)

These all work with VX, the individual CD's themselves authorise the content, they need to be in the pc when first using the library, then they are authorised!

I know this is old but just found it through google...
as far as I know, there is no way to run proteus x2 on win 7 64...I have tried various subtle hacks, and can get nothing...
however, It is possible, and works fine to install the commerical libraries and use them with proteus vx...
also...a hack that may or may not be useful...

if you have proteus x, download a piece of software call 7zip...It is an open source extractor, and can be downloaded at http://www.sourceforge.net. (There are other ways to do this, but 7zip is simple) Go on to the proteus x cd and go through the files. (I'm sorry, I can't recall off the top of my head the exact file.) It is a file that has a .cab extension. Find the cab file that has the emulatorconverter.exe file inside of it. Extract the file somewhere on your computer. You can now use the emulator converter for proteus x without installing the whole program, and you can use whatever sounds you convert in proteus vx...even though it has less features, the sound and the effects are still top notch.

if this helps somebody..glad to share it.

breakmixer wrote:

Just bumping this because this is incorrect, I have bought 5 e-mu cd's from DV247

Virtuosso
Mo Phatt
Planet Earth
X-Treme Lead
Platinum 88(won't load the largest set though, need full version!)

These all work with VX, the individual CD's themselves authorise the content, they need to be in the pc when first using the library, then they are authorised!
Interesting post, as I am planning a new W7/64 bits system. Could you tell us if the dreaded c-dilla protection stuff is installed with the libraries, as I purchased the whole Vintage X Pro ones several years ago with Emulator X2 ? It's easy to check : there is a CDACxxBA.exe running in the background, if installed...

I upgraded, since, to EMu X3 and would like to use the Vintage X Pro libraries without crippling my new system with the c-dilla crap...

Thanks in advance and sorry for the slightly OT post, but this is important for me...
AMD R7 3700X/Asus Prime X470-Pro/32Gb/W10Pro(64)/RME Fireface UCX+ADA8200
Cubase Pro 10.5.20/EmulatorX3 and several other VSTis
VMK-188+/Akai MPD32/Akai ME-30P/05-RW,D-110,TX-802/pre MIDI stuff...

A complete waste of $99 IMO.

What's funny is how I purchased damn near every E-mu module or soundbank for the modules around 2000...except for the Proteus 2000/2500.

LOL @ how happy I was to finally get it as a software option. :lol:

I'll never buy another software instrument with shitty copy protection again.
Remember kids...Everything is impossible until it's actually done.

It does not stream multisamples but it's rock solid.
http://www.emu.com/products/category.as ... tegory=527
The soundfactory sounbanks should work.
I did not use it very often, therefore I am not shure if I am if I'm doing something wrong. But as far as I can see, Proteus VX does not work correctly under Windows 7 64-Bit. It loads as a VST, you can browse the library and it plays the sounds. You can even save own banks, but it does not recall them if you save a song with your DAW. And if you want to load your own or the factory soundbanks you get an error message, that this is not a correct Proteus sondbank.

ProteusVS working rock solid here on w7 64 bit both standalone and as vsti (inside FL and Reaper). I, however, haven't managed to get commercial libraries to work. I do have several of them, got them with my xboard, but when I installed them and tried to load them, they simply didn't load in proteus vx, the process just stopped and never resumed.
If anyone has any specific instructions of how to run those libraries in Proteus VX in w7 64 bit environment, that'll be greatly appreciated!

I dont know about the Proteus, but Im using the Emu libraries with Emulator X3 on Windows 7 HP 64bit with no problems here, so the libararies at least have no problem with Windows7 64bit.

I run Proteus VX on windows XP 32bit/Cubase 5.5 with E-Mu libraries, they are installed to the same 'Creative ?' whatever folder and I choose the bank from the folder it loads the bank and the presets show, can't explain it very well but I know when I'm in front on the pc...

however I won the Proteus X2 with midi dongle whassy from Ebay, intalled the updated drivers from E-mu and could I get it to run in XP, no could I f**k, I had to reinstal the free VX! Yes I had plugged in the midi dongle....

Why does the freebie VX work but the payware X2 not? It sits on the shelf now incase I can get it to run one day on another new pc...

Only cost me £30 though so sod it, installed the extra content from the boxed version so not all bad!

The problem with the VX version is that you will not have access to the modulation matrix and will not even be able to choose between mono or polyphonic modes. The sounds are all there though.

Only the multi setup soundbanks that require streaming (such as mso) don't work for me in ProteusVX (win7 64bit)
The mso individual libraries work fine.

P.T. wrote:The problem with the VX version is that you will not have access to the modulation matrix and will not even be able to choose between mono or polyphonic modes. The sounds are all there though.
I just wondered why the driver wouldn't work for the X2 in XP/32bit, it was a driver issue?

Return to “Instruments”