the MU.LAB Loop System

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a fork from an earlier thread ....
liquidsound wrote:You can write a little groove, just 2 bars and set the Song Loop for that so it keeps on going.
Open the Part and set a loop in it by right click on the time line.
Do not use the Part Start here yet.
Make a short loop, couple of beats long, anywhere you like.
Go back to the composer window and hit Play. Also observe the Part. Now it has vertical dividers = Part's loops!
Try to move the loops marks and see how it changes.
Sorry I didn't manage this to work.

1. start new project
2. double left mouse click on timeline; a pencil appears; choose new sequence; a color block appears on the timeline that spans 4 grid spaces.
3. double left mouse on the new sequence and a piano roll appears
4. enter notes in the piano roll and hit close
5. What's next ?

Regards, James

liquidsound wrote:Do not use the Part Start here yet. Make a short loop, couple of beats long, anywhere you like.

There are two other options then ... should I use loop start? And you are referring to a smaller loop inside a larger part? Sort of like the image below?

In the manual ... http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/sequence-editor.html
the bottom section is what you are refering to ...

sunhome wrote:This is a fork from an earlier thread ....
liquidsound wrote:You can write a little groove, just 2 bars and set the Song Loop for that so it keeps on going.
Open the Part and set a loop in it by right click on the time line.
Do not use the Part Start here yet.
Make a short loop, couple of beats long, anywhere you like.
Go back to the composer window and hit Play. Also observe the Part. Now it has vertical dividers = Part's loops!
Try to move the loops marks and see how it changes.
Sorry I didn't manage this to work.

1. start new project
2. double left mouse click on timeline; a pencil appears; choose new sequence; a color block appears on the timeline that spans 4 grid spaces.
3. double left mouse on the new sequence and a piano roll appears
4. enter notes in the piano roll and hit close
5. What's next ?

Regards, James
You are almost there. You did everything right but exited too soon.

Two terms between us:
In the Composer you have the "Song Loop".
In the Sequencer Part you have the "Part Loop". It may not be the right technical name but for now....

I suggest though that before step 2 you move the right Song Loop Locator in the Composer, more to the right. Give yourself at least 4 bars, drag it up to the line under "5".
Now when you perform Step 2 with the pencil, you get a longer Part to experiment with.

At step 4 don't hit Close. Here is where you insert the Sequencer Part Loop as in the image you posted.
Right click on the timeline and insert "Set Loop Start" and then "Set Loop End".
Try to select a specific area, as in the image, and not the whole Part!
Done!
You can close and get back to the Composer.

Now, before you hit Play turn on the Loop switch located under the Red Metronome just on the right of the Transport Panel. It will change color and turn the Song Loop Locators "on" = Green.

Now you are ready to Play. According to what you have written in the Part you will hear repetitive patterns of notes (the ones between the Part loop locators only) for the length of the Part (in this case 4 bars) and then back again forever until you stop the madness :hihi:

Experiment with the positions of the Part Loop until it you see how it works.
You must first feel very comfortable with this in order to understand the other Locastor that you saw in the image: Part Start.

I think this should do it. If not, we'll get there no matter what! :wink:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote:I think this should do it. If not, we'll get there no matter what! :wink:
Hello liquidsound.
Just a quick comment, to say that I applaud the clarity of the instructions you gave, when helping sunhome with his query.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm a fan of clear, step by step guides, etc - and yours is perfect !
I'm sure sunhome will follow it ok now, but " ... if not, we'll get (him) there no matter what!"

Les J.

Improviser wrote:
liquidsound wrote:I think this should do it. If not, we'll get there no matter what! :wink:
Hello liquidsound.
Just a quick comment, to say that I applaud the clarity of the instructions you gave, when helping sunhome with his query.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm a fan of clear, step by step guides, etc - and yours is perfect !
I'm sure sunhome will follow it ok now, but " ... if not, we'll get (him) there no matter what!"

Les J.
Thank you.. :oops:
I really looking forward to undersatand Mu.Lab as well as some other advanced users in order to help other in the Mu-Journey :D

Just a quick wave of appreciation as I am working on this right now :)

[edit] seems back in the main comp window only my little loop within the bigger part is playing although it now seems to be playing the length of the bigger part. Interesting. Going back under :)

Yep, the little loop becomes the bigger part with just the loop end/start set. Haven't tried the part start flag in the sequence timeline yet.

Gotta go for now, again thanks and the "aha" just flashed as I just reread the polyrythm idea in the manual ... http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/sequence-editor.html

This means you can build up a composition with a sequence looping every 8 beats while another sequence is looping every 12 beats. This also allows for nice poly-rhythmic music.

Regards, James

sorry to bring this up ... It occurred to me that LIVE has loop markers as well ... Inside a midi clip you can set start and stop loop markers which does lead to endless possibilities as you move either a fixed loop size bar above the midi or just change the loop size bar with the start/end markers. I usaully use the first method as a fixed dragable bar over a midi clip can yield fantastic results it's like a magnifing glass as you a smaller section of your midi. It's nice to see one of Abletons best features is also here :) The implementation of the loop markers in Live is a re-sizable from both ends horizontal bar above the timeline.

However, I still haven't figured out the part start flag and what doors that opens.

Regards, James

sunhome wrote:sorry to bring this up ... It occurred to me that LIVE has loop markers as well ... Inside a midi clip you can set start and stop loop markers which does lead to endless possibilities as you move either a fixed loop size bar above the midi or just change the loop size bar with the start/end markers. I usaully use the first method as a fixed dragable bar over a midi clip can yield fantastic results it's like a magnifing glass as you a smaller section of your midi. It's nice to see one of Abletons best features is also here :) The implementation of the loop markers in Live is a re-sizable from both ends horizontal bar above the timeline.

However, I still haven't figured out the part start flag and what doors that opens.

Regards, James
Yes, in Mu.lab though you can't drag a Part Loop as a Unit.
But here (I don't think Live has this one) the Part Start has a unique job of telling were the Part Starts before engaging in the Part loop.

Cool indeed! :D

Return to “MUTOOLS”