Wavetable error

Official support for: sonigen.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just had a nasty crash with Sonigen in Studio one.
I loaded a larger wav sample in wavetable osc...error after error popped out...about 1000 of them :-o

As i mentioned in the other thread:
Selfik wrote:Just had a nasty crash with Sonigen in Studio one.
I loaded a larger wav sample in wavetable osc...
How large ? He probably wants to know that as it helps narrowing down the problem. What format probably doesn't hurt either to know IE 32 bit float 24 bit integer 192 kHz etc ?

Here is my reply from the "Instruments" thread:

1.)
jupiter8 wrote:
I loaded a larger wav sample in wavetable osc...
How large ? He probably wants to know that as it helps narrowing down the problem. What format probably doesn't hurt either to know IE 32 bit float 24 bit integer 192 kHz etc ?
I am using 16-bit 44.1 kHz samples as it imported by FFT analysis anyway. You could even delete the sample from the editor after that.

As the maximum FFT size is 16384 samples (for a single waveform) using really huge samples makes no sense anyway. I tried "downsizing" very large samples using timestretching inside Steinberg Wavelab Elements 7.
You also don't have to care about loop points etc. as the FFT analysis extracts the harmonic content so looping will be automatic.

2.)
osiris wrote:I saw you can import samples into the wavetable oscillator. So just to be clear they have to be 16 bit, and what does 16384 samples translate into timewise?
I don't know if it has to be 16-bit but 24-bit causes problems in other synths (e.g. PPg Wave 3.V) so i did not try it. Besides this the waveforms are imported by a realtime FFT analysis so the sample has no use after that. You could even delete it from the editor after the FFT analysis is finished. BTW the wavetable is also saved within the preset files so no extra wavetable file is needed to use that preset.

About the sample size:
in 16-bit and 44.1 kHz a size of 16384 samples is around 376 ms.

I could switch the display in Wavelab Elements 7 so i could compare time and samples. In Wavelab you could also use the timestretch feature to fit a longer sample into less samples.

You should be able to get a similar result by calculating 16384 : 44100 Hz = 0.372 s.

this is only for a single waveform if you want to create a wavetable with many waveforms for morphing you could use multiple amounts of 16384 (e.g. 163840 with 10 waveforms). Anyway the highest FFT size does not always deliver the best results. In some cases even 4096 could sound better.

You should also have a look at the Help file at the subject "WaveMaker".
That's how i found out how to use the FFt editor properly.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I loaded a larger wav sample in wavetable osc...error after error popped out...about 1000 of them :-o
If you could upload the wav file somewhere so I can download and try on my dev system it would really help me find the problem.

It might be a little while thoough as I am in the middle of doing a fresh install on it. Takes forever to reinstall all the softwares.

Thanks,
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Sorry for late reply...
It's 44.1khz 16bit 3.36min wav
Didn't know about lenght limitation :shrug:
Would be nice to have some warning message about that.

Selfik wrote:Sorry for late reply...
It's 44.1khz 16bit 3.36min wav
Didn't know about lenght limitation :shrug:
Would be nice to have some warning message about that.
There isn't a maximum length limitation.

I've found the problem, some of the arithmetic in the waveform display code was overflowing when the file length got to long. Thats why you got the repeating error messages, cause it reports the error, unwinds, and then it tries to repaint the window again, and so it starts again.

I will have a fix up tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for the help!
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Great :tu:

Return to “Sonigen”