VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys

as from title

what is exacly a trance gate?

i have it in camelspace, but i dont know what it means

It's a step sequenced gate.
Rather than cutting off at a certain threshold of audio it cuts off in a ste-sequenced...sequence.
Almost all of them are tempo sync so you can cut off 16th notes, 32, 1/4, ect to create some more complex rhythms out of pads and other things.
Also, these gates are great for creating a "side-cahin" liked effect

scuzzphut6 if you can find it.

The important part is you feed in long, usually continuous sounds -- notes or chords, typically pad or string type sounds -- and the trance gate chops that up into discrete note-like segments, bursts of sound with a simple off-on-off volume envelope. You choose a pattern to create a rhythmic loop. Play different chords and you get a rhythmic effect similar to an arpeggiator except with whole, un-broken chords instead of "broken" ones (arpeggios).

Effective if used on the right input. Not generally useful on leads, drums, anything that isn't sustained or would suffer if parts were chopped out.

Having said that, I just got CamelSpace - every track - a gem.
I am amazed at it's versatility.

codec_spurt wrote:Having said that, I just got CamelSpace - every track - a gem.
agree 100%

my best purchase of 2011 without a doubt :clap:
[Insert Signature Here]

Meffy wrote:
Effective if used on the right input. Not generally useful on leads, drums, anything that isn't sustained or would suffer if parts were chopped out.
Well, it's useful on anything that sustains where you want a rhythmic effect. You have to play into trance gates, so if you have a sustained lead you can do a lot by playing into the rhythmic chopping effect of the gate. You can also automate some of them, or just cut the audio up and assign it to different tracks, and then switch up the gate pattern for different sections.

You also have attack and release and variable floor controls per segment on some of the gates, which lets you do more than just simple, repetitive squared off gate effects.

I actually really love a good trance gate, and find them extremely useful, but they are best suited to synthesized sounds because they don't sound as natural on acoustic instruments from my experience.

Here's a good, free basic trance gate (third from top):

http://www.mgaudio.de/modules/main.php? ... s&lang=eng
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Rhythmic Gate is a better description. Trancegate is a marketing concoction.

Giusmex wrote:hi guys

as from title

what is exacly a trance gate?

i have it in camelspace, but i dont know what it means
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

bugs wrote:Trancegate is a marketing concoction.
Yeah.
I take it as a warning though:
"Caution: This device may accidentally make Tarnce."
ImageImageImageImage

the effect was originally accomplished in music during the 90s by just sending the main volume midi cc to set the whole instrument's volume. i can do this on my dx-7, alpha juno (which would be probably one major source of this sound originally) and i believe the juno 106 and many other synthesizers support it also.

in that case you're just using whatever capability your sequencer has to send out midi cc commands and you can adjust any parameter of a cc or sysex controlled synthesizer like the alpha juno.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

@A.M.: I'll buy that, and amend my statement to "not generally as useful".

codec_spurt wrote:Having said that, I just got CamelSpace - every track - a gem.
+1

Here are 2 vids about camelspace that should explain everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9poxZruUnYU

AND

http://www2.camelaudio.com/video/PhatSp ... ce_1.5.ogv

(If we're in the plug plugging phase of the thread ...)

I had fun with Uhbik-T and sequenced gating for a Uhbik preset project (THRAKosaurus!). Uhbik-T is tremolo-based, so the gating has a different feel than other sequenced gates I've seen. Grid-based patterning (rather neatly) gives some extra dimensionality - stereo gating, moving/evolving patterns, and a nice 1-knob way of adding some bend to the dynamics of the gate that's pretty sensible for quickly tweaking or automation.

manducator wrote:
+1

Here are 2 vids about camelspace that should explain everything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9poxZruUnYU

AND

http://www2.camelaudio.com/video/PhatSp ... ce_1.5.ogv

Thanks a lot.
Much appreciated.
But don't spoil it for me.
I like the mystery.

I hit that button - it goes 'doh'.
I hit another - it goes 'duh'.
I hit another one and it goes f***in' duhDahduhDahDohDuhDeDaDohDoduh

Magic!

It's like learning a computer programming language - it would only spoil how a computer works!

But thanks for your efforts anyway! :D

Return to “Effects”