"In All Things" - Chillout/Progressive/Metal/EasyListening?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
KVRist
224 posts since 3 Oct, 2012 from VA, USA

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Here's a brand new Shreddage 2 and Shreddage Bass track I just finished up, and the 2nd to last track to do for the album "Selfwatcher" (one left to write), then it's off the vocal booth, and to do some final editing.

I guess this one is a little different than my recent tracks, and is all over the place stylistically. Oh, and for anyone who says Shreddage 2 isn't well suited for solos, check it out @ 2:40 at the very least. There's definitely room for improvement, but Zircon and team have built a fantastic tool, and I've been pretty floored with the results. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/audiosupernova/in-all-things

KVRist
340 posts since 16 Oct, 2011

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:47 am

Holy shit, this is freaking good. Definitely one of my favorites from you. It sounds like the kick drum is taking up too much room in the mix when it starts doing the double-bass part, but other than that, it sounds really nice.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am

Yeah :(

That might be the bass guitar as well. It fires off with the kick drum in those spots and I didn't vary its velocities enough, so it's got the machine gun problem. I was noticing that in the stereo on my way to work this morning. Will fix.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:15 am

Alright, I made some tweaks and updated the song, so the source link will have the latest version.

KVRist
236 posts since 2 Jun, 2012

Post Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:10 pm

well,if for you shreddage 2 it's so good for leads,i throw down a challenge,since I think it doesn't fit well for all kind af solos.

take the slayer video i've posted in another thread ignored by Zircon,and play the same first solo of Spirit in black song.Then,we can compare the results.Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkc83QNq8SI

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:58 am

Well, I don't think you're being ignored necessarily metalheart, but people may not have time to try to figure out all the notes and whatnot that's going on in the Slayer song you posted. Besides the fact that I don't really have time either, I personally wouldn't even try it because I HATE Slayer. No offense if you like them, I've just never liked their music. Covering it would be torture. I know music is completely subjective, so I know we all like different things.

I do agree that Shreddage 2 probably isn't good for all kinds of solos(just because no product is perfect), but like with most things, people are usually limited by their own abilities, rather than the instrument or program. Steve Vai on a $100 beginner guitar would still sound better than me on a $40,000 guitar, because I suck, and he's awesome. No amount of better instrument will make me a better guitarist than him.

That being said, I'm still learning some new things I can do with Shreddage 2, and with a lot of practice I've been able to expand it's "abilities" through some different techniques and effects. There's a lot that you can do outside of Shreddage 2, much of which involves the DAW and the virtual amplification software. I find that what you amp with effects the sound of Shreddage 2 more than anything. I also make use of increasing/lowering the instrument volume in FL Studio(not the channel volume), affecting the input volume of the guitar into Amplitube 3 which makes for some really cool and different tonal qualities. Mostly though I find that playing with Amplitube 3 has been the greatest benefit for me in terms of what I can play. Some amping setups almost force you into certain types of music, or at least it seems that way in my case.

I almost forgot, another thing I think really helps add to the realism is extensive use of pitch bend, the mod wheel(vibrato), expression pedal(unison bends) and the portamento slides. Even if you get "the notes right" on a cover song, there's a lot more going on than simply the notes themselves.

I think one thing that could be added to future libraries is the addition of finger tapping, as a massive part of playing guitar solos doesn't even use the pick at all, but tapping on the strings with just your fingers. This obviously wasn't included in Shreddage 2, but would definitely add to the realism.

It's not that you're not trying any of this stuff, I don't know what you're trying, but I'm just trying to point to some things that have at least helped me out in my own musical adventures. Best of luck.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”