VST unique ID

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
2DaT
KVRist
317 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:47 am

Where can i get one? I am planning to release a plugin this winter and i am quite sure i need to get VST 2.4 unique id somewhere. I have acc on steinburg site but cant find where exactly i can get this.

aciddose
KVRAF
12075 posts since 7 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:56 am

You don't "really" need to be assigned an ID. All you need is to ensure it is unique vs. the other plugins managed by a host.

Ideally hosts shouldn't even use it for anything, but unfortunately they do rather than generating a longer ID value from the various other data provided by a plugin.

Given that there are unlikely to be anywhere close to 4 billion vst plugins out there and far less probability of a collision in a particular host + set of plugins, randomly generating the ID (see GUID) is a fairly safe bet.

I'm not sure how the stienberg site works, someone else may be able to help you get an actual assigned ID value if you still want one.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.

FabienTDR
KVRian
989 posts since 24 Feb, 2012

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:55 am

The Steinberg plugin id site is pointless. Very much like anything Steinberg does.

It doesn't even check duplicates, wtf! And it's trivial anyway to hash a full plugin to generate a truly unique ID.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

AdmiralQuality
Banned
6657 posts since 10 Oct, 2005 from Toronto, Canada

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:40 am

FabienTDR wrote:The Steinberg plugin id site is pointless. Very much like anything Steinberg does.

It doesn't even check duplicates, wtf! And it's trivial anyway to hash a full plugin to generate a truly unique ID.
You want this value stable for any given product.

Most hosts, at least the smart ones, find the plug-in by a series of tests, ID being the first of them. So if it can't find the same filename, date, (size?) as the plug-in it used previously, it will try to substitute a different one as long as it has the same ID and number of parameters. This lets you upgrade a product without breaking every project that used it, among other obvious benefits.

Then there is the opposite of tolerance... Hosts that get pissy if two plug-ins share the same ID and only show you one of them. Hosts that don't look at ID at all and only identify the plugin based on its exact pathname. Etc.

Anyway, best to just pick a string you like. I use the first 3 chars to ID vendor (me), then the last char for a product ID. If there is a conflict with some other product, the best way to find out is in Beta testing, and if so, fix it then.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”