Where can I put a custom user preset library?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just want to be able to have my own folder structure for presets (bitwig devices and vst presets mixed), but I can't seem to figure out how to make my own custom folder directory in the library, other than using to the Files tab for a folder on disk, which shows way too much (my whole computer). And I don't want to save presets under each VST in the VST list since that is disorganized, I just want my own folder structure where I can have folders of different types of instruments. And I don't want to mix them with the factory content for layered instrument.

I've tried adding custom locations to both the content and music tabs and the folders I have there don't show up.

Where is the user preset directory? And is the Files tab the only way to have my own folder structure? I'm too used to Live where there are custom locations right there on the main browser pane.

What are you guys doing for user presets? Just adding your presets to the factory library and having VST presets under the VSTs?

Ok so I've found the Bookmark thing under files. I guess that's the only thing to use if you want your own custom folder structure eh?

Bitwig should have a custom metadata tab where you can arrange your custom presets by custom folders. Just like in Studio One.

Or even if the Bookmarks were it's own tab rather then under files, and didn't show file extensions. This is what I figured the library locations would be like. Point folders on disk there and have them display sub folders and files. Basically like Ableton's "Places" or Studio Ones Shortcuts, which both make perfect sense. Bitwig has all these different tabs yet they don't really seem that useful to me.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:What are you guys doing for user presets? Just adding your presets to the factory library and having VST presets under the VSTs?
If you add your presets to the factory library, are they safe from being overwritten upon upgrades?

pdxindy wrote:If you add your presets to the factory library, are they safe from being overwritten upon upgrades?
Yes, the will get stored in the user library folder, which is totally separated from all the content which comes from the package manager and won't be affected by upgrades.

kurasu wrote:
pdxindy wrote:If you add your presets to the factory library, are they safe from being overwritten upon upgrades?
Yes, the will get stored in the user library folder, which is totally separated from all the content which comes from the package manager and won't be affected by upgrades.
Thanks for the answer... So even though they are visually mixed in the browser, they are actually separate behind the scenes?

And what if I want to have a separate user library, where would I do that? (according to the intended methodology)

On windows the user presets are in:
Username\Documents\Bitwig Studio\Library\Presets\
I don't know if there is a way to structure it differently ATM.

I also would like to see a clickable tag field/genre/author area in the browser. This is only available in the devices itself, but I for instance often have a LFO as the first device, so a preset for that would show up under the LFO, no matter what instrument follows - far from ideal ;-)

But the foundation is there. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream | Instagram | YouTube

Return to “Bitwig”