new tracktion browser ?!?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1152 X 864

Great idea :idea: :)
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I like Trowsr! I have Trawlr, because it trawls through the files for you but to me all these words look welsh or something! It must be the missing 'e'!

Mod this program looks like a cracking idea, and i'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if you don't go with the TrowsR idea! genius!
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

1600 * 1200 here..

By the way, where did you get that sleek looking OSX skin?

Regards/falke
Image Home of ARPARATUS, STRINGER and PUFF & PYS

Ehm.. if it's done up in a different color scheme, will it be called "brown TrowsR"?

:lol: :P :lol: :P

This looks good! I'm at 1280x1024, btw.
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

That OSX Skin is a native XP Theme from Kol. Here is the linkk Kol's Panther 1.5. To use it, you'll have to install the uxtheme.dll swap. Look for it on the net. It's a hack on that particular windows dll which makes it such that you can skin xp using it's native visual styles. I like it, because it's native, thus adding no weird memory resident oddities.. but at the same time you get a cool desktop. :D

I dunno if I'm gonna be able to go with TrowSR.. the thought of people wanting my pants makes me... nervous. :roll: :lol:

I leaning toward the tacky name.. Tackywrapper! why? because I get to name one of the dll files included 'Tackyhooker.dll'.. hahahaha :lol:

I've got the majority of it completed now. It's really almost ready! but I keep getting little ideas. Like.. now I researching a way to tack on the Lame MP3 encoder.. so you can dragndrop a file from the browser to a spot on the right.. and have it make a mp3 for you. We'll see how that goes... but beyond that it's coming along nicely. :D
ModuLR / Radio

ModuLR wrote: I leaning toward the tacky name.. Tackywrapper! why? because I get to name one of the dll files included 'Tackyhooker.dll'.. hahahaha :lol:
I want 20% of the money you make if you use a name including Tacky. I am the guy behind Tacky. Tacky - that's me!
I've got the majority of it completed now. It's really almost ready! but I keep getting little ideas. Like.. now I researching a way to tack on the Lame MP3 encoder.. so you can dragndrop a file from the browser to a spot on the right.. and have it make a mp3 for you. We'll see how that goes... but beyond that it's coming along nicely. :D
That sounds like terrible UI. How about just a button "make mp3?" Or an option on a right-click menu? That would be really useful, actually, and very intuitive. Dragging a file onto an "area" to instigate some action doesn't make any sense. It's non-standard (and non-standard UI is bad, no matter how cool you think you are for coding it :-)) and it undermines the drag-and-drop metaphor. Drag and drop is useful when you need to connect an arbitary source (e.g. a file) with an arbitrary target (e.g. a folder), or at least an action (e.g. 'new filter') with a location-specific target (e.g. a track), not when the target is stationary. The right-click option also saves screen real estate.

Martin
"Life is both a major and a minor key"
-- Travis, Side

yeah, it might not make sense... :lol: I just roll with ideas as they come. Some aren't well thought out. :oops:

Currently, tho.. the right mouse click is used for playback. There is no right context menu, so adding something there won't work. I was really just looking for something to stuff into this little blank area I have. The two thoughts I had where a memo pad, or the mp3 exporter. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Might be good, might be bad, who knows what evil lurks in the tackywrapper! BTW, please don't sue me... :lol:
ModuLR / Radio

with the mp3 exporter, you could also make it do ogg like the existing oggdropXP.exe (which is just lovely, what with the spinning fish and all)

other idea for what could go there, tempo calculator :P

choose a tempo and time sig. then a different time signature and it outputs the correct tempo automatically, change the second tempo and the time signature updates to the nearest approximation. (actually I should just suck it up, steal some code, and do that one myself)

Yeah i was about to say - ogg conversion would be great - you find an .mp3 file you want to use but cant drag/drop it cuz tracktion doesn't support them! but convert to ogg and you're a spaceman!
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

I'm wondering if you could create a VST plug that's could just bring the tackywrapper app up anytime it was activated...

Rock -> I was planning on making it collapsable.. does that work?

Ogg/Mp3 -> The more think about it, the more I think I'm gonna investigate those bits at a later date. I'm about to go on vacation starting next friday.. and I dunno if I could have a Ogg/Mp3 idea sorted.. so I better wait. I'd like to release this thing before I leave tho (preferably this weekend).

Another question... how many VST's do ya'll use which have drag and drop support? like drag a file to the VST.. and do you use that support?

The reason I ask is because the way Tacky works, it basically traps tracktion and assigns it's window to a panel within Tackywrapper. The problem I have encountered is that when trying to dragndrop to a VST (whether locked or not), it can't be done.. because clicking on the browser pushes the VST into the background.. so you can only drag things into tracktion (but not the VST windows). Before tracktion support multi displays.. it most likely would have worked fine.. but now that the VST windows are completely seperate windows.. they get pushed behind Tackywrapper. The lock works fine as long as Tracktion has focus.. but once you click outside of Tracktion and in the tackwrapper... the windows disappear. Give focus back to tracktion, and they're back. It's kinda cool in that you can clear all your locked windows with a click, then bring them back.. but at the price of not being able to dnd to a VST.

thoughts? Ultimately, I could make this into a VST.. which would support the dnd to other VSTs easily... BUT it's not nearly as cool as watching Tacky take over Tracktion. :D :wink:
ModuLR / Radio

only ones i can think of immediately are ...

energyXT
dr008

(but dr008 has its own integral browser anyway)

... im sure i must have more though ...

... a vst browser would work for just as well for me too tbh (but as you say nowhere near as cool as wrapping tracktion)

slainte :) rob

just done some QUICK testing ...

ruction
dicer
sfz+
vsampler3

... all support drag-n-drop too

slainte :) rob

okee.. back to the lab.. gonna see if I can trap those stray VST windows so they don't get pushed to the background. ARGH! :D
ModuLR / Radio

Return to “Tracktion”