novation impulse modwheel on channel 3 rather than channel 1

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick work thanks tom.

I will check this out tommorrow. Long day of work ahead now...

I notice the loop button gets used as a second shift on the script. Could you use loop + octave up and octave down for pad transpose? For bws purposes I would probably keep my pads down two octaves from where they are now.

Graham!

Are you saying the mod wheel worked without any changes to the script tom?

I get plugin launch OK by activating both ARP and roll.

Are you running the latest firmware on the impulse?

Not sure what you did Tom but I have a working mod wheel now.

I did a factory reset (which I hadn't done after my firmware update so maybe that's it.)

I am going to be running late for a work if I don't go but I couldn't resist trying to get this working.

Thanks so much.

On the other hand my page selection has stopped working. The light on the key MIDI/Page Down is on and won't budge.

Before I could select Midi, Plugin, or both to get mixer.

Graham

not so good, I've also lost clip launch, transport controls. It seems to have turned back into a generic midi keyboard without controls...

Hm - I start to wonder if your hardware has issues.

I removed pretty much all sysex other than sending text to the display so nothing untoward should happen, no automatic setting of states or presets etc.

The Loop button can only be used in certain situations by the internal script but not for the octave buttons since they don't send anything if shift isn't pressed, they just internally adjust the octave of the keys.

The Mod Wheel works for me without a hitch on Windows and Linux and I can always access it's settings in the impulse. That is why I wonder if something is wrong with your hardware or you Linux system. Can you check if everything works for you on Windows, just to make sure we are not seeing totally different problems than what the script is doing?

I will check about he firmware but honestly this starts to sound like a different problem altogether.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Ok, did the firmware update and a factory reset.
Wow, they changed a lot in that one:
- The impulse has now two midi-in-ports, one called "Impulse" and the other (on Windows) "MIDIIN 2 (Impulse)". So I guess they send controller data now on a different port.
Can you check on your machine if you also have a second input port now?

I'll investigate what else has changed.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Like you, I now have basically a brick. :o

They changed the functionality to be almost completely Automap-based it seems.
If there is no solution to this, we can trash our script and the support for the controller.

:pray:

Cheers,

Tom

Ok, all back to normal.

Phew, what a ride.
Please download the script again from the same location as before.
One of the sysex-strings in the original script was actually important it seems, since it set the Impulse to the state we need and want, which seems to be basically what Live is using.

Now I seem to be on the same page as you were, Mod Wheel on Channel 3 and all (which is fixed in this script).

I'll now check Linux again.

Cheers,

Tom

Oh phew.

Yes I have 'Impulse midi 2' as well as 1. I think you might have asked that before and I disn't pick it up.

I'm glad we're on the same page and some progress.

I will be able to check this out tommorrow.

All the best
Graham

For me it works fine now on Linux.
The only thing missing is Channel Aftertouch which may even be a Bitwig Linux bug outside the scope of this script. I created a bug report for it.

There are some other things I want to improve but I have another controller to look into rather urgently.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

My Linux experience seems not the same as yours. I'm not quite sure what I could try differently or why this is.

The script works for me only if I comment out line 96 and line 100.
At the point the script successfully reaches and executes the sysex line and the impulse 25 stops being a brick.
Probably because of the commented out lines I now can't address the drum pad separately.

Pluses to new script
1. Mod wheel!
2. I discovered I can now Shift<< to change tracks on the clip launcher. This is great - I couldn't do it before.
3. not sure what other improvements may be there... but running on up to date firmware is surely a feature :)

Other problems I had which seem new to this script are:
1. E1-8 not programmable controllers in Global mode even though the indicators are showing up in Global mode on the macros or the device (when shifted).
2. The second encoder, E2, now doesn't work in any mode whether on Mix, Global or Device Page. I had a look at the script because this would seem an easy thing to fix but I couldn't find the problem. I have no controller assignments listed so that's not it.
3. I can't seem to Select next/previous track in any of the modes. This is said to be possible on the current (ie original) script instructions using Shift-Page UP and Shift-Page DOWN. It should be possible in both Global and Mix mode according to these instructions (In Device mode it moves between devices). It is useful especially for being able to select and arm a track (Loop plus Record).

I also still get the problem, as per the last script, of being able to intermittently confuse the controller/bws/script. I'm not really sure how this is triggered but possibly something to do with the midi/mixer button below the main fader. I'll let you know if I can narrow down this problem.[Seems pretty ok actually]

Thanks for your good work and good luck for the other control scripts you're working on as well as this one.

all the best
Graham
Last edited by gravy on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

no beat clock yet either although I think we established that might be a limitation of bitwig at this point??

Can I suggest:
Line 160
if (data1 == 8) host.showPopupNotification("Mixer and Devices Off");

This Midi/Page Down button is wasted and doesn't enable anything at the moment. It seems my #1 in the post 2 above about E1-8 not being programmable in Global mode is because Global isn't really a mode. It's when no pages are selected. I'm guessing another 'page'/mode could absolutely be created off this button if ever it is needed.

So I guess ignore that issue about E1-8. [edited that post to reflect that]
Last edited by gravy on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

The data1 test above is for an EIGHT. KVR forum turned my 8 into a smiley. Lame!!!

Another wasted key is the Mixer/Midi control below the fader. As far as I can tell it does nothing in Midi mode. It is not assignable. In Mixer mode it has a function but it's not clear why you would want to turn this off... If it was at least assignable when in devices mode that would be great.

EDIT: Actually the key is sort of working in reverse. It IS assignable when it is indicating 'mixer' and not assignable when indicating MIDI mode. I would expect the opposite.

Return to “Bitwig”