Valhalla plugins, betas, and Yosemite

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I'm looking for feedback on how the Valhalla plugins are running in Yosemite (OS 10.10).

First of all, if you haven't installed Yosemite yet, DON'T. There is no possible advantage you have for upgrading to the 10.x.0 or 10.x.1 version of ANY OSX release. Once you get into the 10.x.2 releases, things get more stable. Generally speaking.

I have heard a few reports of GUI weirdness in Yosemite with the Valhalla plugins. From the reports, it *seems* like the weirdness is with the current release versions, versus the betas.

Ableton has reported issues with Live 9.1.5 and 32-bit VST plugins based on the older Juce framework:

https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/yos ... patibilty/

So I thought it was a Live bug, but I've received a bug report about my plugins in Cubase 7.5 on Yosemite. I think it may be an issue with the older Juce framework. I'm HOPING it is just with Juce, as opposed to Yosemite pulling support for some APIs used in the 10.4 SDK. If the latter is the case, I will need to drop PPC support ASAP, and only support OS 10.6 and above.

The betas that are out there are compiled with the 3.0.5 Juce version. I'm hoping this is recent enough. I'm creating a Yosemite boot drive today, so I'll be able to test this on my own system. However, if any of you out there have installed Yosemite (and remember, this is NOT recommended in general) and can test out the betas, I'd welcome any and all feedback.

My goal was to launch the betas as full versions next week. If I run into Yosemite issues that aren't fixed by the 3.0.5 Juce version, I will have to push the full plugin release back by a few days.

Sean Costello

I'm running OS 10.10 Yosemite and have the beta of all of your products installed.

So far I've noticed no issues using ValhallaRoom and VVV regularly. If there are specifics you'd like me to check, I'd be happy to.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Hi,

I've installed the Os X Yosemite version and I encounter the bug that let the plugin window on and empty when it is closed on Live 9.
Maybe I can check the betas version to see if it fix this? (VintageVerb, UberMod and Room)

Cheers,
Ben

I have that bug too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3DLRFd ... G4ylI3KLgg

As stated, It's just the 32bit VST versions (but I stick to VSTs so I can be cross-platform).

Bonehead question here - Where are the updates and/or betas? Do I need to fill out a request form?

bh9090 wrote:Bonehead question here - Where are the updates and/or betas? Do I need to fill out a request form?
Check the AAX thread above this one for links. The updates were originally spurred on by the need to use the latest Juce code for AAX. Fortunately, this will also fix the Yosemite issues.

I'll announce in this thread when the Yosemite-friendly updates are available. I'm working my way through the builds...

Great. Thanks Sean.

I (foolishly) installed Yosemite on my mid 2011 27" iMac.

After a week of trying every trouble shooting test known to man I had to go back to 10.9.5 via a Time Machine Recovery.

To be fair the only problem I had with Yosemite was using Logic Pro X 10.0.7 :o
Logic suffered a HUGE cpu overload in 10.10.0.

Very long story short: this issue has been experienced by many (not all) mid 2011 iMac owners. Seems to be partly at least linked to the AMD cards in most of them.

Upon returning to 10.9.5 everything was normal, although I had to re-authorise many (not all) plugins, including all Valhalla plugins.

I had no such issues with iLoked plugins :D
One example of when iLoks can be very useful.

cheers

Beatworld wrote:I (foolishly) installed Yosemite on my mid 2011 27" iMac.

After a week of trying every trouble shooting test known to man I had to go back to 10.9.5 via a Time Machine Recovery.

To be fair the only problem I had with Yosemite was using Logic Pro X 10.0.7 :o
Logic suffered a HUGE cpu overload in 10.10.0.

Very long story short: this issue has been experienced by many (not all) mid 2011 iMac owners. Seems to be partly at least linked to the AMD cards in most of them.
In general, I don't recommend updating to the 10.x.0 or 10.x.1 release of ANY OSX version. Too many bugs for those first few releases.

Having said that, Yosemite is PURTY. I like the flatter look. Probably not much of a surprise there.

Yosemite is also an even numbered OSX release. These tend to be better than the odd numbered ones, as far as stability. Think about 10.6 and 10.8, versus 10.7 and 10.9. Once Yosemite has been out for awhile, it should be much better than Mavericks.
Upon returning to 10.9.5 everything was normal, although I had to re-authorise many (not all) plugins, including all Valhalla plugins.

I had no such issues with iLoked plugins :D
One example of when iLoks can be very useful.
Yeah, f*** that. :lol:

In all seriousness, I can see where iLoks make sense for different business models. I've thought about surround sound plugins, and using iLok for those would be a no-brainer. Surround sound reverbs are primarily used by post-production facilities, that are usually running PT11 on a LOT of workstations, so the iLoks are already there. For lower cost plugins that are primarily focused on music applications, iLoks make less sense.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
In general, I don't recommend updating to the 10.x.0 or 10.x.1 release of ANY OSX version.
Having said that, Yosemite is PURTY. I like the flatter look. Probably not much of a surprise there.

Sean Costello
In general I avoid early OSX updates but all feedback I had (albeit not from any mid 2011 iMac owners :). ) said all good plus Apogee released Yosemite drivers so it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Yosemite sure is PURTY, I like it.
Plus it ran well for everything I tried, apart from Logic.

How ironical that Apple's own App didn't handle it :D

As Logic was completely unusable for me (cpu load so big that projects just choked as soon as I hit play) I can't give any feedback on how Valhalla products performed.

Beatworld wrote: As Logic was completely unusable for me (cpu load so big that projects just choked as soon as I hit play) I can't give any feedback on how Valhalla products performed.
My guess is that the Valhalla plugins perform fine in Logic / Yosemite. I haven't heard of any AU issues in Yosemite, just GUI issues with the 32-bit VSTs.

Aspect from Loomer also seems to have had some of the same issues (also a plugin made in JUICE framework) and it seems that he (Colin) has fixed it :)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=423206
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

but I've received a bug report about my plugins in Cubase 7.5
All the JUCE plug-ins had an issue with any Mac OS X version and Cubase 7.5. You should update JUCE and see if you still have the problem, otherwise report something there : http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/cubase- ... ose?page=1

OK, I've updated all the plugins with Yosemite fixes. Things are working great in Live 9, which seems to be the main source of complaints. Feel free to request the betas from the usual location:

http://valhalladsp.com/aax-request-form

Return to “Valhalla DSP”