Did you know (Tips and Tricks) NO CHAT!

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How to transpose a sequence (in a clip) on-the-fly using a piano keyboard or a grid controller etc.

This took me a long time to work out, on and off, combined with help from this forum and from Bitwig support, so I decided to write it down for others. What I wanted: to record a sequence in a clip and then press a key on a keyboard and transpose said clip to that new note root whilst playing "live". That way I could do a sequence with drums, and play the sequence up and down whilst accompanying myself using a different keyboard for leads/chords etc. Mainly for playing in real time rather than recording.

1) Generate an instrument track (containing e.g. "Polysynth") and record a clip which contains your musical sequence. Accept MIDI input from "All ins" etc.

2) Add a "note pitch shifter" in front of the Polysynth - see attached screenshot

3) The note pitch shifter has a window towards its bottom right hand corner called "Semi" and in the screenshot is set to 0. There's a green dot showing on it too. Adjust it to each semitone you want to shift it to and then right-click "add to controller or key" and then press the corresponding key on your keyboard. Do the same for the next semitone etc. etc. until all 12 are added for the bottom octave of your controller keyboard, or you have done it for root/thirds/fifths/octave and done the assignments against a grid controller perhaps. The other attached screenshot shows the mappings, in the mapping browser on the right hand side (press the pointing finger/hand icon in the bottom right hand corner of Bitwig)

Now when you play your clip, you can move the root pitch up and down that bottom octave's worth of keys.

The part I hadn't grasped is that the "Semi" window can have controller inputs assigned to it - you just change the value, assign the key, then repeat until you have what you want. Easy! I have added a .bwproject to show how I did it.

If you know any, please do add other/better/alternative approaches or corrections.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

^^^ Note Harmonizer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mscdXBkfP5E
but the easiest with Reason Rack and PolyStep sequencer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFWmvua ... e=youtu.be
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

svervs wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:44 pm Too bad this thread never took off ... :shrug:
Anyway here's another one I've just discovered:

EQ: Alt-dragging a point adjusts the Q, and keeps the dB.
Now this work with the wheel of the mouse. Alt+drag do nothing

Workaround to get multiple stereo audio streams out of an FX Grid and/or to "insert" devices/plugins inside a grid patch!

Create this Chain preset:

Chain, named "Mod Receiver", with mix = 0
two Macro modulators (or a single Macro 4) set to bipolar
Stereo Split
in the L and R chains, put a DC offset.
Assign the two Macro modulators to the DC Offset in L and R channels.

(You could of course make a mono variation, just skip the Stereo Split and use a single DC Offset inside a chain with mix = 0.)

Now for the fun part:

1. Inside the grid, for each output: add a Stereo Split and two Modulator Outs.
2. In the PreFX chain, add a Mod Receiver.
3. Assign the two Modulator Outs to modulate the macro knobs on the Mod Receiver.
4. Anywhere in the project, add an Audio Receiver that points to the Stereo Split inside the mod receiver.

You can add multiple Mod Receivers listening to as many modulator outputs as you like.

To insert VST plugins or other Bitwig devices into a grid patch:

Steps 1-3 above.
4. Inside the Mod Receiver's chain after the Stereo Split, add the devices/plugins of your choice.
5. Inside the grid, add an Audio Sidechain that points to the output of the last device in the Mod Receiver.

You can also use this for feedback patching that mixes grid modules and devices.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hello everyone,

I've been planning to do this for a long time. This thread is now 5 years old and has 15 pages. Some of the presented tips are no longer valid, some only apply to some specific versions of BWS. OTOH some great tips are buried between things of less value. Would you be interested in having access to a compiled list of all these tips? I was thinking of doing a searchable, sortable spreadsheet, like this one:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12eEHc0Ilf9gEM1NuRkBZG8knbbvZuyMkaT5Ebyv9o4Y/edit?usp=sharing)

It's just a beginning, since it's a tedious work. But I'm sure that I'd be able to add tips for one page of this thread per day. So it should take just a little bit more than 2 weeks to have it all combined.
What do you think? Is it worth the effort? I don't want to do it for myself only, but if anyone else will benefit, I'm willing to do it. I may even give access to a few people and we can colaborate.
Besides, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. What should the categories and subcategories be? How can I tell which tips apply to which versions of BWS, etc. ?

+1
Bitwig 5.2 beta 1 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + Presonus Studio One Pro 6.6
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4.1 Sonoma

It sounds very useful especially because it can be produced to be a searchable form somehow. Any form of simple spreadsheet approach would certainly be very handy, but the ability to sort/search/categorise as per your proposal would add a lot of value.

Hey guys, I'm new to Bitwig, and it's a great audio station, but time after time, I got some questions, and here is one of them.

Can I save track a height as default? I don't like the default track height and want to increase it. Didn't find it by myself.
🇺🇦

almazmusic wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:52 pm Hey guys, I'm new to Bitwig, and it's a great audio station, but time after time, I got some questions, and here is one of them.

Can I save track a height as default? I don't like the default track height and want to increase it. Didn't find it by myself.
It seems like you can't.
I saved a template with my screen set up the way I like it, and when I reloaded the template, everything was set back to default.
And this place if for tips and tricks, post general questions in the normal chat. :D

Did you know that you can build master preset Pages in the grid?

If you plan on building a grid device with multiple instances of "the grid", I reccommend running it in an "Note FX Selector". I tried to build something with a "Master Modulator", a Modulator that changes parameters in different Instances of "the grid" instantly. I came up with the solution to make an additional grid in the grid selector.
Its basically a dry audio signal rooted to a macro-knob that goes out to a audio lane, but it's pure signal. Then you can reroute this signal into the different grid instances, hook it up to a module-out to macro to your destinated manipulated module in the grid, and you are golden.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grid Summing: a quick shortcut to mixing multiple signals by leveraging modulator superposition.

1. Add a Level module, this will be the sum output
2. For each input signal that needs summing: route to a modulator and modulate the Level knob

When multiple modulators are modulating the same parameter the resulting offset is the sum of their values. At audio rate this becomes a summing mixer! What's more, feedback is allowed, it will automatically insert a 1-buffer delay where necessary to make this work.

Use case: I wondered what it would be like if FM-4 allowed modulating the mod matrix, so I made a FM-4/Phase-4 hybrid in the Grid and needed four separate sums of each of the 3 oscillators. The mod matrix on the right (green-yellow) is driving phase inputs on the left.

image_2021-03-14_115047.png

using macros and an fx layer you can make a unison detuning machine, so with 4 layers you could have 4 frequency shifters, and the shift knob on each is modulated by the macro, for the first one the modulation amount is +1, the second +2, the third -1, the fourth -2, this means the macro will spread out the pitch of each layer in both directions up and down. make it even better by using delay/chorus (usually use these), and sometimes other effects like tremolo, reverb, filters, distortion etc and you can put macros on these too. can really fatten up a sound, making it sound bigger, but at the same time can soften it up by spreading out the sounds pitch and spreading it out over time with delay the sound can become less concentrated. doing this with delays can sound like reverb. make sure to match the volume coming in and out of the plugin.

another tip is using similar effects, mostly frequency shifters and delay/chorus, in a multiband fx, which can give a dispersion effect, seperating out the different frequencies of a sound so they dont add up so perfectly, it will make the sound less dense and heavy, it wont take up so much room in the mix either. perfect for pads, especially as you can modulate the devices or the filter cutoffs for the band splitting.

The Select Tool is just a short selection if you hold the number of the Tool (like "4" for erase)... hold 4 and then erase, then release the key and the cursor switch back to the previous Tool, like "1",automatically.

This is cool, because you dont need click "1". This works for alle Tools. And its a bit faster.
I just found it today :hihi:

And the Eraser Tool can be used as the Knife Tool, by just Click on a Clip. ;)

Did you know that... you can often make your mix louder by using a clipper that will shave off short-term audio spikes that trigger your compressor/limiter too soon? Turns out it's pretty easy to make one in FX Grid:

And here's the preset:
Clipper.zip
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

poly modulators of FX Grid (mono mode) can see the inner MIDI generators instead of the outer ones
so for ex. 4-stage can be triggered programmatically from inside of the Grid

Polarity's MIDI note generator is here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/polar ... t.bwpreset

I can't even imagine how the MIDI routing is working in this case but interesting :D (hopefully we gonna a get a proper MSEG on someday :help: )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Bitwig”