FXpansion Cypher2 - Coming in 2018

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad)

Hi all,

I figure it's time to give you a bit of a progress update on Cypher2 & take a listen to some of its new capabilities...

https://soundcloud.com/fxpansion/cypher-2-early-demos

Headline features:
* Three new analogue filter models plus comb filter
* Six new shaper models including wavefolders
* Sine waveform on oscillators
* More flexible FM routing - Osc1 FMable from both 2 & 3
* Duo/tri-phonic mode for Odyssey-style melodic sync screams
* Dual Ramp generators
* Two LFOs each with 3-phase & quadrature outputs, and a sub-LFO
* Multi-shape envelopes (which output linear, exponential, cubic etc. shapes to the modulation system simultaneously)
* Tweakable analogue noise
* Much lower CPU usage than v1 -- for example, >32 voices playable at 8x oversampled in real-time on an i5-2500

And...:
* All the workflow & TransMod enhancements from Strobe2...
* All-vector, fully-scalable, retina-ready UI, choice of three colour themes
* Quick Presets & randomizer
* New browser, locks, MIDI learn..
* Euclid X/Y control, curves, keyzones
* MIDI Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression, to fully support ROLI Seaboard, Seaboard RISE, Roger Linn Linnstrument, KMI K-Board Pro 4 & Haken Continuum

... And:
* A handful of new insert FX (which will also be coming to Strobe2 in a free update)
* a more powerful sequencer/arpeggiator, to modulate all those lovely sound sources
* .. a few surprises not listed here!

If you own either Strobe2 or DCAM Synth Squad v1, you'll get a generous discount on this one.
cypher2-2024.png
We're accepting applications to beta-test at present, so if you're interested in helping out & can spare some time to do so over the next few months, drop me a line angus ~at~ fxpansion -dot- com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Angus_FX on Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Looks awesome!

Very awesome indeed. Can't wait to upgrade to this massive beast!

Great news! I'm looking forward to trying it. :tu:

looking forward to this, looks great and the new features sound great

Seems this will be for me an instant buy ;)
Last edited by 4damind on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you're still working on the GUI; the browser area is too wide (in relation to the rest of the panel), could be 1/3 smaller (also on Strobe2).

Any plans for an extra discount for people who do own Synth Squad 1 *and* Strobe 2? :hihi:

(and while I´m at it, I´m probably not the right one to test Cypher 2, I´ll wait for Amber 2... is there any sign of the Geist 2 beta at the horizon yet? That´s one I´m *really* waiting for)

I really like how fxpansion is seriously overhauling and enhancing their software. Strobe 2 runs infinitely better on my system than v1 did. They fixed all crashing problems I was ever having.

Signed up for beta. Can't wait!

Looking forward to this :hyper:

Awesome! Waiting for Geist 2 too :)

Duophony is a nice tricky. Will it have a ring modulator too?

Strobe 2 quickly became my favorite synth. The modulation system rocks, the sound is on another level, and the interface is amazing.

I can't wait for Cypher 2.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

If you're still working on the GUI; the browser area is too wide (in relation to the rest of the panel), could be 1/3 smaller (also on Strobe2).
It's collapsible at least. The main reason is to align with the voice settings pane on Strobe2, and the audition control pane on Cypher2 (currently occupied by that subminiature keyboard - that's a placeholder).
(and while I´m at it, I´m probably not the right one to test Cypher 2, I´ll wait for Amber 2... is there any sign of the Geist 2 beta at the horizon yet? That´s one I´m *really* waiting for)
Not too long now, but don't think it'll be this side of the holidays.
Duophony is a nice tricky. Will it have a ring modulator too?
Several! There's the switchable fixed-routing ringmods on the oscillator outputs like Cypher v1, and a couple of different insert fx ringmods (digital & the Nonlinear Ringmod from Strobe2) you can put on the fx bus. All are transmodable, which means it's pretty easy to route the duophonic control signal to any of them for CS-80ish ribbon style things.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Some constructive criticism:

The dark gui doesn't really inspire one to go WOW LETS MAKE SOME AWESOME SOUNDS ON THIS. It looks moody and brings across the feeling that it's mostly for atmospheres, fx, avant-garde or ambient-like sounds/genres.

I also wish the overall look was slightly less simple iPad like graphics, more photo-realistic, but I guess that's the current fashionable look.
Since it's fashionable, it also means it will go out of fashion. It's boring as hell though. Doesn't look inspiring or original. The gui should be something that speaks of all the possibilities of the plugin, or something that doesn't say much in itself. But as soon as it has its own opinion, that comes across and casts the plugin so.

The dark grey panels are wrong, you need different backgrounds for each area of the plugin. Other plugins have suffered this same problem throughout the years, whether commercial or free, and users have almost always asked for more intelligible differentiations between the various synth control areas.

Each area also seems really tiny, barely squeezed in, it looks uncomfortable, not grand and splendorous. Not a good feeling.

The knobs and their labels once again, as in version 1, seem to have barely made it in, they look almost an afterthought: "Oh shit we forgot to label what this knob is for" or "Oh shit, we forgot to put in THE KNOB!".

The sound is ok. Could be even more aggressive and "unstable". Less perfect emulation of components. Sounds too modern VA, if you can make it go from more classic analog character to the modern/static character, that'd be great.

You guys really need someone to do presets for you, that are not the usual people who do them for you and especially not the usual KVR designers either. Things sound too samey, too familiar.

Btw, when you do Amber 2, include keyboard tracking, but one that allows us to change the nature of it anywhere between linear (100%) and curved, i.e. more than 100%.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

Do we really need photorealistic guis these days? I've always thought of that as a poor attempt to make people think they're not using software. Embrace the future, I say.

Return to “Instruments”