VST3 Hosting for Blue Cat's PatchWork and MB-7 Mixer Released

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We are happy to release new versions of Blue Cat's PatchWork and MB-7 Mixer that include VST3 plug-ins hosting.

You can now load Blue Cat Audio or third party VST3 plug-ins into both plug-ins, mixing them with VSTs and Audio Units in the same session. More details about this new release are available on our blog.

The update is free for existing customers and can be downloaded from the same link as the original full version (link received upon purchase).

Enjoy!

I was about to post a question in a new thread - but this development may be related. I just yesterday installed (and then reinstalled just to make sure I didn't miss anything) the VST3 Win-64 version of PatchWork. I could find nothing anywhere that would let me launch the standalone version of PatchWork.

Will the newly released version clear this up, or is there something else that is creating this problem?

Related question, as long as I'm here: can we safely install the new version over the old, or should we uninstall the old one first?

Thanks.

This is good news, thank you. Are there any plans to make PatchWork compatible with 32-bit plug-ins, as this would be quite useful. I believe there is a rival that is able to do this...

dmbaer wrote:installed the VST3 Win-64 version of PatchWork. I could find nothing anywhere that would let me launch the standalone version of PatchWork.
To get the standalone version of PatchWork, you just need to install the "App" version - the VST3 version only installs the plug-in, not the application.

For updates, there is no need to uninstall the previous version, it should just work out of the box :-)

s_tombs wrote:Are there any plans to make PatchWork compatible with 32-bit plug-ins, as this would be quite useful.
There is not plan to integrate 32-bit bridging into PatchWork, for many reasons. BTW you should be aware that bridging has a cost (in performance and stability), so it is not completely transparent, whatever the bridging solution.

Anyway, we have already partnered with SoundRadix to offer a bundle with 32Lives, which will let you resurrect older 32-bit Audio Units on Mac. On Windows, some customers have had success with jBridge too, but it depends on the host and plug-ins.

VST3 option works well as VST in all progs, but not VST Synth. in VEP? Also I have had not experienced a successful recall of VST3 presets, in either VST or Synth, eg:I have to load VST3 plugin each time I reload and their presets too.

Thanks for the feedback. Can you maybe elaborate about "works well as VST in all progs, but not VST Synth". What kind of issue are you having?

Also, about presets reloading, can you maybe tell us with which plug-ins and host you are having issues? Most plug-ins and hosts that have been tested in the past few months were properly recalling settings, so maybe that's something specific that has been missed?

Apologies I had only tried Hornet VST3 and they do not recall, but have just tried Blue Cat VST3 and we are fine!
The Patchwork Synth will load in VEP, but does not work with any number of VSTi/VST loaded and stops other Synths working and eventually VEP freezes, also.

So really happy with VST3 access, except Hornet and shall report others, if they have problems. The Patchwork Synth is not working in VSL VEP and is not a show stopper and having VST3 access within VEP, is a bonus, when using Patchwork VST, which works fine and does not crash.
Last edited by Paul Corello on Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, thanks. We'll check this one out. Which version of the PatchWork synth plug-in are you loading in VEP? The VST3 one?

As explained on our blog, we advise to use VST3s only when required, as most VST3 hosts and plug-ins are much less stable than their VST2 or AU counterparts.

VEP does not accept VST3 plugins, so VST2 Patchwork Synth is the culprit, but, as stated, already happy to be able to access VST3, using Patchwork VST, within VEP. I have had to install a number of plugins as both VST2 and VST3, just because of VEP, so if I can gradually uninstall the VST2 component (saving space on SSD), I shall be happier.
"..it appears that VST2 or AU versions of the same plug-in are often much more stable than their VST3 counterpart.." I have noted this and have already noticed this to be the case, with a few manufacturers.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: To get the standalone version of PatchWork, you just need to install the "App" version - the VST3 version only installs the plug-in, not the application.
Follow up question: since you sent me the direct download URLs earlier, I don't know how to download the App version - do I just download the demo version and my authorization will take care of both standalone and hosted Patchwork versions?

Thanks.

At the url that you received by email there is a link to download the App version. That's the one you want. The demo version will not let you register: it is a different binary.

Blue Cat Audio wrote:At the url that you received by email there is a link to download the App version.
Ah, so there is. I did not notice that the other times I downloaded Patchwork.

Hi, I have started making some 'chains' with Instruments & FX in standalone PatchworkSynthv1.73 and would, now like to use these in VSL VEP5, but there is no sound and when loaded, Patchwork stops the sound from all the other VST. Paul

Hi Paul,

are you using the VST or AU version of PatchWork? By the way, did you make sure to insert the "Synth" version (not the effect), as explained here?

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”