AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I dunno. I vacillate back and fourth. Sometimes it sounds like hype, sometimes I really want to get one. We'll see around black friday how things are shaking out.

I wonder when maindboard suppliers will finally have solved all remaining issues of the Ryzen platform. When checking mainboard reviews recently, there were hardly any without problems. It's still like getting the lesser evil somehow...

Meanwhile I think I will no longer get the 1600, but the 1500 instead.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I wonder when maindboard suppliers will finally have solved all remaining issues of the Ryzen platform. When checking mainboard reviews recently, there were hardly any without problems. It's still like getting the lesser evil somehow...

Meanwhile I think I will no longer get the 1600, but the 1500 instead.
R5 1600 + Asus Prime B350-Plus here, no problems so far with the latest BIOS version (Agesa 1.0.0.6a). I set the CPU at 3.6 GHz, core voltage is only 1.2V, my 3000 MHz memory runs at 2933, no glitches, nothing.

It all depends on your needs, but I wouldn't get the 1500X, 2 cores / 4 threads extra mean a lot.
It's easy if you know how

Seems you are lucky, that board also gets lots of bad reviews for various reasons:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813132965

fluffy_little_something wrote:Seems you are lucky, that board also gets lots of bad reviews for various reasons:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813132965
People who don't know how to overclock their memory should be banned from leaving reviews. Period.

Go over to ASUS official forum and see for yourself. Prime B350-Plus threads almost do not exist, while new ROG Strix B350-F Gaming mobo seems to have a lot of problems right now.

Which memory modules do you use? Ones with Samsung chips, I suppose...

Regarding performance, the 1500 benchmark result is almost twice as good as my current processor's, despite having two cores fewer.
The benchmark results for the 1500 vs 1600 are around 10700 vs 12700 respectively. My current CPU achieved only 5700, and yet it is almost enough for my needs. So, the 1500 should be enough for me. It is clocked higher than the 1600 and I read that up to 4-core Ryzen processors benefit from the cache architecture, whereas 5+ cores have to share cache across units or something like that, which slows things down.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Which memory modules do you use? Ones with Samsung chips, I suppose...

Regarding performance, the 1500 benchmark result is almost twice as good as my current processor's, despite having two cores fewer.
The benchmark results for the 1500 vs 1600 are around 10700 vs 12700 respectively. My current CPU achieved only 5700, and yet it is almost enough for my needs. So, the 1500 should be enough for me. It is clocked higher than the 1600 and I read that up to 4-core Ryzen processors benefit from the cache architecture, whereas 5+ cores have to share cache across units or something like that, which slows things down.
No, I use low profile Corsair LPX 3000 which are single rank Hynix, working at CL16, 1T.

Infinity Fabric loves fast memory, and the "slow down" thing is not really a problem if you've got one. Just make sure you get 2667 MHz or faster.

Lesha wrote:
People who don't know how to overclock their memory should be banned from leaving reviews. Period.
:clap:

Kaine wrote:
Lesha wrote:
Well, when you read the negative reviews, they are not about overclocking memory, but mostly about build quality and BIOS issues.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Kaine wrote:
Lesha wrote:
Well, when you read the negative reviews, they are not about overclocking memory, but mostly about build quality and BIOS issues.
You are right, I do not say that the one I've got is without flaws, I have certainly had better mobos in the past. But it serves its purpose well for the money I spent.

Lesha wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Which memory modules do you use? Ones with Samsung chips, I suppose...

No, I use low profile Corsair LPX 3000 which are single rank Hynix, working at CL16, 1T.

Infinity Fabric loves fast memory, and the "slow down" thing is not really a problem if you've got one. Just make sure you get 2667 MHz or faster.
AFAIK this is isn't strictly a Ryzen thing, and more a consequence of people being unaware that RAM speed can greatly affect performance in general. Intel performance scales near identically as RAM speed increases. To be fair, it was a gaming focused article/benchmark I read discussing this, so not sure how applicable that is with audio.

cron wrote:AFAIK this is isn't strictly a Ryzen thing, and more a consequence of people being unaware that RAM speed can greatly affect performance in general. Intel performance scales near identically as RAM speed increases. To be fair, it was a gaming focused article/benchmark I read discussing this, so not sure how applicable that is with audio.
Productivity-wise memory speed does not have such an impact as with games, and the sweet spot currently should be 2667 MHz. After that, the gains are not as high compared to going from 2133 to 2667.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Kaine wrote:
Lesha wrote:
The best assembled PC I have done is the current one I have now which has the components that I haven't read any reviews about them! I mean i read general reviews about the benchmark of processors and graphic cards, but not a specific brand.

My next built would be have the same plan, which is:
- Motherboard is either Gigabyte or Asus (intel or amd based)
- any dual ram that is 2x8GB middle speed and price but popular model
- good PSU with golden certification if possible of 700-750 watts.
- middle GPU of GTX 1060 or RX 580 for games
- 500 GB SSD drive
- good silent case (this is essential as it was my only mistake in my current built that I sacrificed few bucks and purchased not a silent case!)

I would make my list buying from one shop (I have dealt with some bad shops and good shops, so better know your dealer). This is make it easier to return something in case of a fault, but most important of all is receiving only sealed products (not open boxes).

Oh, and no overclocking for me at all :)

I just like to make music, I just want the thing to work, I can't get into all this fancy newfangled stuff :hihi:

Gimme a board that works, chip me, ram me (wait, that came out wrong..... )

Here is a great guide for overclocking Ryzen

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-ryzen-o ... ing-guide/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”