Help me understand DSP Performance Graph

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! The DSP Performance Graph is not simple CPU meter with % load. Why measure unit is "ms"? How this ms refer to CPU load? What is Period jitter? And basically how to properly read all this data?

Thanks!

The graph is also lagging badly, it's a bug and the fix is coming, they told me.

As mentioned it lags behind a bit, so that can make it a little harder to understand.

In short the blue graph and the average load number are basically what you want to look at.

Usually a CPU meter would show you the maximum or average load number over some period of time. The blue graph shows you all the individual readings with the most recent ones on the right.

Buffer is the size of your audio buffer in samples. Sample rate is obvious.

Deadline is the amount of time that Bitwig and all your plugins have to do their calculations. I think this is always just the buffer length but measured in ms instead of samples.

Average load is how long, on average, it took to do all the calculations. Average load divided by deadline would get you a "% load" reading similar to other DAWs (and I think is what is shown by the little bar under "DSP" just to the left of the BPM display in the main window).

Peak load is the longest amount of time it has taken to do all the calculations over the amount of time represented by the graph.

Period jitter I'm not totally sure about that but I think it's the percentage difference between the last two readings. It seems to change too fast to be an average.

Thanks! Am i right when peak load reaches deadline i will get pops and clicks?

Right.

Also, is that normal that when the DSP performance graph is open, Bitwig's performances are more stable? If yes, is there a way to keep it open by default?

cxfgjcghjkvhjlkvhl
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On Windows as long as the power plan is set to high performance, the CPU will run full throttle all the time. You shouldn't need to mess with BIOS settings as you're already telling Windows not to ask for the lower performance states by picking the high performance power plan. I'd generally recommend not changing those things so that the default power plan will still work normally if you want to use it when you're not running your DAW.

Return to “Bitwig”