Recreate Moog Sound from Steven Wilson's Regret #9

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there! :)

I was wondering if you could help me to recreate a synth sound from this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwZBDKX6Pwc

Specifically the really low, grumbling one right at the beginning (0:05) and the one following in the synth solo right after (at 0:19).

In the live performance, he used a Moog Voyager to play that part. I tried some things with Native Instruments Monark, Massive and Reaktor but I never achieved a sound quite like that.

Maybe you can give me some inputs on that - it doesn't sound too complicated but I'm realtively new to programming synths. Thanks :)

However he did it, it sounds great. I just like that song, pretty cool!
I don't have a Voyager or a Minimoog, but I do have a Sub Phatty. AFAIK from that YouTube audio, it sounds very smooth/warm, like there probably is no "drive" added into it.

The growling bass: Detuned Saws + filter, nothing special.
The Lead sounds sync'ish to me, so nothing the minimoog can do.

I got to reactivate this. :)
How is the feedbackish effect done? That does not sound like a filter to me.

EDIT: I guess it is related to the osc sync or FM function?

Feedbackish effect? What do you mean by that? There is detuned saws through a resonant lowpass filter, sweeping, some drive/saturation distortion.

Very seventies/early eighties (and still a great sound).

A similar lead can be heard on Gandalf - To Another Horizon (1983)

Gandalf - March of No Reason (Including "The Falling Star")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LX7Alg2OpU

Sounds great, too, same style but IMHO different. By "feedbackish" I mean that the sound turns into metallic screaming sometimes, but it does not sound like simple filter resonance to me, like at 1.19 to 1:21. :shrug:

c1c2 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 amlike at 1.19 to 1:21. :shrug:
1st or 2nd example? If 1st one (Steven Wilson) then I hear a smooth screaming osc sync lead sound.

1st example, yes.
I see. Guess I got something to learn about syncing oscs. :)
Thank you!

Don't forget a little bit of delay.

Adam Holzman used a Moog Voyager and a Line 6 DL4 Delay on that solo.
< Bill Bruford on King Crimson: This is a band where you get to play in weird time signatures and still stay in nice hotels >

Sure. But first of all I had to recognize that the tuning modulation of the synced osc ist the key for that blending metallic sound. Mission accomplished. Thank you all.....again.. :tu: :hug:

I think those sounds could be a Prophet-5, especially the sync lead.
Try Prophanity.
https://www.robersonaudio.com/
MinimogueVA from another software company could do the bass sound. Prophanity could do the sync.
If the sync sounds Moogish, it could be a Moog Prodigy or even a Pro One.
For Prodigy there’s Model Pro by Elektrostudio.
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2240
The sync sounds like it has 2 saw waves.
Edit: likely a Moog Voyager for those sounds.
MinimogueVA has 3 OSCs and also oscillator sync.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:22 am
c1c2 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 amlike at 1.19 to 1:21. :shrug:
1st or 2nd example? If 1st one (Steven Wilson) then I hear a smooth screaming osc sync lead sound.
I am after what OP was after 6 years ago.
What does "a smooth screaming osc sync" mean?

Help :-)
vinnie2k, n00b in all things
"Better finished than perfect" Yem

c1c2 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:12 pm Sure. But first of all I had to recognize that the tuning modulation of the synced osc ist the key for that blending metallic sound. Mission accomplished. Thank you all.....again.. :tu: :hug:
Tuning modulation of the synced osc? What does that mean?
Did you ever manage to get close to Adam's sound?

Hi, not exactly. I just wanted to unterstand the basics of synced oscillation and how to use it. That was just an example.

Modulating the tuning of the synced oscillator alters the sound in a way I would describe as "metallic" or "harsh".

c1c2 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:38 pm Modulating the tuning of the synced oscillator alters the sound in a way I would describe as "metallic" or "harsh".
So I need to find a way to synchronize two oscillators but one slightly detuned, is that it?

Return to “Sound Design”