Mid 90's choir pad

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was going to post in this is the psy trance thread but think the sound as useful in any older 90's style of music and it would reach a greater range of synth heads here....

Old skool synth I.D. request please...2 total classics. I am wondering what the choir pad was from evident in both tracks ? I am imagining this synth pad went down in synthesiser history so if the trance heads cannot help we can widen the search later on. As we can tell from 1995 onwards. I was randomly thinking JD-800/D-50/JP8000 etc.??

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQehN7xtvnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onquKz5SYRs

Any wavetable synth will do.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Sounds more like an Emulator or other sampler rather than a rompler. Rompler's tend to use vert short pieces of sample, and the examples you show sound like the sample length is much longer.

tehlord wrote:Sounds more like an Emulator or other sampler rather than a rompler. Rompler's tend to use vert short pieces of sample, and the examples you show sound like the sample length is much longer.
You can create exactly this choir with wavetable synth like Dune, that has nothing to do with length of the sample.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

He wants a synth ID from 1995

AnX wrote:He wants a synth ID from 1995
JD-800 :D

tehlord wrote:Sounds more like an Emulator or other sampler rather than a rompler. Rompler's tend to use vert short pieces of sample, and the examples you show sound like the sample length is much longer.
I'd go with that. The M1 MassiveChoir (Choir sample) is close but a bit too dark I reckon and it's the same with the Choirs on the D-50 or JD-800. The Roland ones tend to sound more like the old Fairlight choir samples. Even Angels Sing on the JV-1080 sounds more obviously synthetic than the examples (but not by much).

I think it might be the Mixed Choir or Female Choir from the Emulator II disk set (Disk 96).

I find it more interesting to layer several of them together to get a sound which is more complex and less easily recognizable. For instance, I've layered choir patches together from the JV-1080, Morpheus, and Wavestation SR and run the whole lot through a reverb. Sounds great!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Ok thanks for the replies, I was kind of thinking this was going to be so recognizeable that it would be a case of: "Ahh you idiot everyone knows that is the 069 Bank B Heavens Choir from the D-50"

Seems a bit more ambigious. Thanks for the Emulator suggestion.

Synthman2000 wrote:Ok thanks for the replies, I was kind of thinking this was going to be so recognizeable that it would be a case of: "Ahh you idiot everyone knows that is the 069 Bank B Heavens Choir from the D-50"

Seems a bit more ambigious. Thanks for the Emulator suggestion.
Listening to the first track, my first thought was that it was, indeed, probably one of the mid-90s Roland ROMplers. Then I tried one or two of the sounds out against the audio and realised they weren't right. I wouldn't be surprised to find the sound came via one of Zero-G's early and not-exactly-legit sample CDs as the sample or one very like it is pretty common from around that time.

Close tehlord.. but I think the track versions are a little more beautiful and have an emotional tension... the chosen chords of course are having an effect but the texture of the synth choir sound is providing the listener with a sense of greater expectation and ascension.

Synthman2000 wrote:Close tehlord.. but I think the track versions are a little more beautiful and have an emotional tension... the chosen chords of course are having an effect but the texture of the synth choir sound is providing the listener with a sense of greater expectation and ascension.
As you say the chord structure is very different in the tracks themselves, and with mixing and filtering I think that's about as close as you're going to get without the exact source samples used.

Thanks for the opinion.

Inadvertent post (a delete button would be handy on this forum)

Return to “Sound Design”