VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
mxbf
KVRist
43 posts since 30 Mar, 2019

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:56 am

vortico wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:43 pm
Your question is answered in the FAQ. https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html#is- ... n-for-daws
mxbf wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:24 pm
If I were VCV I'd be going for the f**king throat on this and rushing 2.0 to market and pushing that shit out as fast as possible - I think their product is better. I don't know why they don't take it more seriously.
We do take this seriously. However, this takes time. We have spent roughly 200 of the estimated 400 hours required to develop a DAW version which offers a similar professional experience as the standalone version.
ok :wink:

User avatar
overhishead
KVRist
322 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:06 am

I think VCV could be it's own DAW. Somebody could just make a multitrack "tape machine" module with a transport on it. in the old days they didn't have waveforms displays and metronomes, they just had click tracks. Or maybe somebody could make a Tracker module for it. Somebody could make a Reaper module if they were code gods.

User avatar
vortico
KVRist
300 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:16 am

A timeline and piano roll module is planned for early 2020, assuming that's what you're talking about. The timeline module will give you full control over playback speed and transport controls with (I think) 6 channels/rows of clips, although you can have multiple modules in your rack and drag clips between them. The piano roll module will have a single channel with polyphonic outputs and multiple banks.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6681 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:17 am

overhishead wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:06 am
I think VCV could be it's own DAW. Somebody could just make a multitrack "tape machine" module with a transport on it. in the old days they didn't have waveforms displays and metronomes, they just had click tracks. Or maybe somebody could make a Tracker module for it. Somebody could make a Reaper module if they were code gods.
It can already be used as a self-contained DAW at this point. There are lots full-blown mixers including with sends/returns, fxs (including VST and VST instrument hosting), recorder modules (including multi-track recorders - like from NYSTHI), even piano rolls (Squinky just put one out) and MIDI file player modules (Wrong People have one). It's a bit clunky to setup, but you can even use clock counters from NYSTHI to create scenes in order to introduce new elements based on the number of clock inputs received (the great Omri Cohen has a video on this workflow). If you're planning to compose your track entirely in VCV Rack, it's really already very good at being a DAW. If you're a Reaper user, you can install ReaRoute and even easily dump up to 16-channels of audio directly into Reaper from VCV if you prefer the mixing workflow of a DAW. Where VCV can be a little clunky in it's current state is when your composing primarily in your DAW and want to add VCV to the track. If you're working primarily in VCV, it's already a fully capable DAW.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6681 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 am

vortico wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:16 am
A timeline and piano roll module is planned for early 2020, assuming that's what you're talking about. The timeline module will give you full control over playback speed and transport controls with (I think) 6 channels/rows of clips, although you can have multiple modules in your rack and drag clips between them. The piano roll module will have a single channel with polyphonic outputs and multiple banks.
The timeline module sounds pretty slick. Will it be useful for triggering different sequences/sequencers to create scenes and trigger events based on timeline location similar to using NYSTHI Jooper/Janneker (but hopefully easier to setup)? My workflow as of late is to just let a bunch of things run (outside of drums, where I use the Hora drum sequencers to build up complete drum parts) then bring everything into Reaper to introduce and mute elements to create different parts of the song.

Angle Loss
KVRist
86 posts since 3 Jan, 2012

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:26 am

Would much prefer an AU/VST over a DAW version. Being able to use it in Logic/Pro Tools/etc. will make it much more valuable and versatile as an instrument. I also believe it would attract more musicians to use it.

Personally, I don't want to go through the growing pains of trying to learn a new DAW and experience all the bugs of early software. Seems like VCV should focus on being the most incredible virtual modular synth. An AU/VST version aligns with that vision much more than diverting time to make it an all-in-one synth and DAW.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6681 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 am

Angle Loss wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:26 am
Would much prefer an AU/VST over a DAW version. Being able to use it in Logic/Pro Tools/etc. will make it much more valuable and versatile as an instrument. I also believe it would attract more musicians to use it.

Personally, I don't want to go through the growing pains of trying to learn a new DAW and experience all the bugs of early software. Seems like VCV should focus on being the most incredible virtual modular synth. An AU/VST version aligns with that vision much more than diverting time to make it an all-in-one synth and DAW.
The timeline and piano roll were described as modules. So I don't think it's a DAW-version so much as modules to add some DAW-like functionality. Or maybe they'd be needed to keep things in sync when ther The plugin version is still in the works.

Sorry if I sound like an evangelist, but I've been spending a lot of time in the VCV Rack standalone lately and enjoying the hell out of it. I'm still very much waiting for a VST version though.

User avatar
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian
946 posts since 8 Dec, 2003 from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Re: VCV Rack

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:34 am

I wanted a VST version when I started with it, but now I'm used to not needing one.
V1 & the Host/HostFX modules filled most of the gaps I had.

I won't pooh-pooh others wanting that VST version (especially as I agree it would entice more users, thus encouraging development well into the future), but I suspect I'll be sticking with the flow I have now for the most part.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Spyart
KVRist
30 posts since 2 Aug, 2013

Re: VCV Rack

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 am


Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6681 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Re: VCV Rack

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am

Pretty neat. It's a little clunky (had a few random zooms, can't move multiple modules at once, can't get Impromptu Clocked running for some reason), but very impressive for a 1.0. I dig the browser too.

User avatar
vortico
KVRist
300 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Re: VCV Rack

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:54 am

Switched On Rack Vol. 3, the collaboration album featuring tracks made with VCV Rack, is out now. https://switchedonrack.bandcamp.com/alb ... rack-vol-3
Switch On Rack Vol 3 sm.png
Here's the sign-up sheet for submitting your own VCV tracks to be considered for future volumes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VCV Rack open-source virtual modular synthesizer

Return to “Modular Synthesis”