Mushroom Generator Beta Discussion

Official support for: soundemote.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everything goes here.

beta sign-up form here: http://eepurl.com/cVN_5r

Current bugs:
  • Some breakpoint envelope settings are not saved, such as sync and grid selection.
  • When loading a patch with Midi CC selected, the midi CC dropdown does not show due to GUI not being properly updated.
  • Sync issues with breakpoints on some computers, cannot figure out how to recreate this problem.
Fixes & Features for RELEASE version:
  • FIXED: Rewritten smoothing system, all parameters are properly smoothed, and using gaussian smoothing which is super-smooth / more human-like (imagine turning a knob on an analog synth with your hand). This may be overkill... :lol:
  • ADDED: LFO Unipolar button renamed Uni to make room for Inv button, added "Inv" invert button. Allows LFO to go from -1 to 0 in unipolar mode, where -1 is where LFO rests. Also added this to ADSRs. Using invert mode makes it easier to modulate parameters. For example, if you want to modulate lowpass filter, keep the filter all the way open, then use inverted ADSR to modulate it down, rather than the more annoying approach of first setting the lowpass cutoff low then modulating it up... which is confusing because once you remove modulation, you will have the lowpass cutoff set to low which may produce silence.
  • CHANGED: Oscillators go to 0 frequency at the end of a one-shot cycle making it easier to use LFOs as AR envelopes.
  • CHANGED: LFO in one shot mode responds to delay... hmm, now tempo-synced delay time feels like it's missing.
  • CHANGED: Ensure LFO in one-shot mode ends one sample early so that sawtooths do not end on its edge.
  • FIXED: Mushroom Generator One-Shot mode draws the correct number of mushrooms before stopping.
  • FIXED: I think the LFO ADSR release time was messed up. Works now.
Fixes & Features for RC5:
  • NOTE: Version of plugin is no longer in the plugin title, it is now indicated in the help page, lower left corner.
  • ADDED: Phase slider affects the offset of the "random" timer for random LFOs (like random square). It can now also be modulated to create random timing. This is different from modulating frequency when it comes to self-modulation.
  • FIXED: Reset modes for breakpoints don't work as expected. Removed "never" reset mode, won't work without editing how breakpoint modulator works (for another time!)
  • FIXED (new bug from RC4): Noise/random is generated unipolar 0 to 1. Should be -1 to +1.
  • FIXED: Amp Env ADSR did not rescale times with oversampling.
Fixes & Features for RC4:
  • New reset mode for envelopes: On-note (like 'Always' except not on note-off), crucial for percussion.
  • Breakpoint GUI now updates on preset change.
  • FIXED: Noise generator does not work on Mac. No random stuff works.
  • FIXED: Crashes due to improper modulation setup when changing presets and trying to remove a modulation via GUI conection that does not exist.
  • Added note change mode dropdown to go along with the new reset mode.
  • added "AllNotesOff" handling. Do we really need a panic button? I think it's fine.
  • FIXED: Metaparameter connections only update if plugin is re-loaded or automation is sent to MG.
  • Master rate smoothing is back, and a serious bug causing you to think you are setting a slider to a certain value but it's really another value, causing all sorts of problems and preset load/save issues. Only sliders with modulation connects are affected by this bug. But, this means your presets may not play back as it did in RC3. Every preset will have to be checked and adjusted. I already went through yellowmix presets.
  • Added the output chain to oversampling (which makes one big change: the clipper is oversampled)
Fixes & Features for RC3:
  • AmpEnv velocity does not update when retriggered in Always Reset mode
  • Reset modes for breakpoint envelopes
  • Had to remove smoothing on Master Rate parameter, damnit. :cry: It was causing an issue when sending modulation to it. I hope I can reintroduce smoothing soon.
Bugs FIXED for RC2:
  • Infinite sustain no longer happens due to sending 127 velocity & having sustain at 100%
  • Mac build is debug version, argh!!! I set XCode to release version, what happened?
  • Improved some help text
  • Midi mod sources actually work (modwheel, pitchwheel, channel pressure)
  • Breakpoint Editor 1 and 2 no longer treated as the same object.
  • Midi sources are properly set when re-loading patch.
  • GUI Gradients now drawn correctly on mac (no longer blocky)
  • LFO ADSR sustain now responds to changes during sustain.
  • Loading a patch without modulation routing now clears modulation routings.
  • Infinite modulation ranges cause plugin to "explode" (go silent). Workaround is to set modulation ranges to non-infinity (any number) and re-load the plugin. Infinite modulation ranges is probably the cause of plugin going silent when switching or re-loading patches.
'Will Not Fix' bugs (mostly GUI stuff):
  • Odd sizing of numbers (for example Midi Source page)
  • Modulation dialog boxes detach from GUI and float freely / separately.
  • Preset custom / default preset location is not supported on Mac... and Windows, actually.
  • Issues with presets not keeping their name.
The GUI needs a lot of work in general, each product will be better than the last, so any non-breaking GUI issues will most likely not be fixed for the release version. That being said, most likely I will not be taking feature requests, I have a never-ending list of ideas to improve my products, but to be fair, just keep in mind Mushroom Generator is already a huge improvement from Spiral Generator in terms of features and GUI. But let me know your feature requests anyway, I would be surprised if you think of something I haven't thought of already. 8)

Where do the presets go on a Mac?

preset location not supported on mac, but we're finally starting to make progress on that front. You'll have to put the presets anywhere for now.

Ok. I do hope you're planning on putting them in the standard location?

/Library/Audio/Presets/Soundemote/Mushroom Generator

EDIT: Sorry, not user preset location, the Library preset location. Dumb me.

indeed.

So, first impressions are ok. It sounds good, I can definitely hear something there. I have a few things though, right off the bat, using the AU version in Ableton 9.75 macOS 10.12 Sierra.

- Some of the provided presets completely ignore note-off events. Is this by design?
- This has happened to me twice, I'm jamming along and all of a sudden the whole thing starts to howl loudly and pegs out my VU meter. (I need to add a limiter when beta testing, 'cuz my ears.) The only way I can get it to stop is to remove it entirely.
Last edited by dangayle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Closed beta?

I don't have a ton of beta signups yet, so.... bloop: http://eepurl.com/cVN_5r (beta sign-up form)

If anyone wants to make suggestions on the GUI layout actually, assuming I can replace some sliders with knobs, and have more tabs, I might need some help on cutting out a good square of space for an oscilloscope. I might have to tackle this after release, though.

One idea I had was to move the Feedback stuff into a tab like LFOs, and have 4 feedback sources, so you could actually choose multiple feedback sources at once. A handful of controls don't need a long slider either. For example, octave could be a simple box with a number inside, same goes for a few other controls.

Played with this for a couple hours, lots of grimy fun to be had in here!

Made a few patches just to get the feel for it. Interestingly, some patches worked fine when I was creating / auditioning them, but when reloading them later they just snap and go silent. Might be the "infinite mod range" issue noted above, but I'm happy to share if they would help debug.

I understand UI is meant to be very basic and spare. All about the sounds. OK by me!

In that context, some basic UI thoughts:

- Given all the mod capabilities, would be cool to have a popup showing a simple table of all the current mod routings. Just a simple, static list, with the modulator and target showing:

LFO1-Grow
LFO2-LFO1Phase
ADSR2-DC Offset
etc.

Would allow a quick scan of the setup in others' patches (to learn from) and my own (to debug WTF I was up to...) As is, I need to right-click all the potential mod targets to track down what's affecting what.

- In modulation setup dialog box, It would be helpful to default to the numerical max/min allowed for target, and also allow user to tab between min and max data entry boxes for quick editing.

- Panic stop button please. :)

=============

Shroom on!
Z
Just because it's insane doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
------------------------
Before visiting my Youtube channel or Soundcloud, make sure your affairs are in order. You just never know.

zippy731 wrote:I understand UI is meant to be very basic and spare.
Lol, no. It's meant to be "as good as I can make it at the moment." UI will be more robust with each product release. I plan on keeping all products up to date with the latest UI improvements as well.

Yep, we need a modulation list. It won't make it into the release version.
zippy731 wrote:- In modulation setup dialog box, It would be helpful to default to the numerical max/min allowed for target, and also allow user to tab between min and max data entry boxes for quick editing.
Ok, that's something I haven't thought of. I'll ask Robin if it's an easy add, but ultimately I'd like to redesign the modulation interface completely.

zippy731 wrote:- Panic stop button please. :)
I'll look into it.

dangayle wrote:- Some of the provided presets completely ignore note-off events. Is this by design?
- This has happened to me twice, I'm jamming along and all of a sudden the whole thing starts to howl loudly and pegs out my VU meter.
most likely the sustain bug, should be fixed for next version

- Given all the mod capabilities, would be cool to have a popup showing a simple table of all the current mod routings. Just a simple, static list, with the modulator and target showing:

LFO1-Grow
LFO2-LFO1Phase
ADSR2-DC Offset
etc.
Ok, I'll ask Robin if that might be easy to do. Where would I put it, another tab called "Debug"?or "Mod Connections" orrr... If I made a tab called "Debug" I wonder what else I could throw in that page. Latest midi velocity, latest note played, current value being sent out of the midi sources, stuff like that maybe. The LFOs need a visualization... see, once you start going down this feature request rabbit hole you never find the bottom haha.

NEW VERSION IS UP! Same download link. Plugin headline title should read "RC2", that's how you know you have the latest version.

All beta-tester-reported bugs should now be fixed.

You could double check to make sure it's fixed as well. :)

I would also like to shout out to AHmusic https://www.youtube.com/user/Alez15666, he will be serving as my marketing and operations manager so I can focus on making unique and awesome-sounding synths.

Return to “Soundemote”