Q-Clone alternative?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Q-Clone

Hello,

Any Q-Clone alternative? Can Fabfilter Pro Q do some job with matching function?

Also any real-time dynamic comvolution plugin?

Thanks.
http://analogobsession.com/ VST, AU, AAX for WIN & MAC

Voxengo Curve EQ can do the same sort of thing, but Q-Clone has an advantage of libraries of curves for existing equipment etc.

Dynamic convolution is problematic for developers because of the Sintefex patents. A search for it as keywords here will give you several threads worth of reading on that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Voxengo Curve EQ can do the same sort of thing, but Q-Clone has an advantage of libraries of curves for existing equipment etc.

Dynamic convolution is problematic for developers because of the Sintefex patents. A search for it as keywords here will give you several threads worth of reading on that.
Thanks for reply.

Can Fabfilter Pro Q do same thing?

And if Curve EQ can do this,which plugin will feed it with signal?

Thanks.

Ik Multimedia Master Match can do something similar but qclone is designed to specifically match a hardware EQ curve that you have patched into your system so that you can release it and use it elsewhere in your production. Regardless is is basically matching an EQ curve and Master Match will do the same thing.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trmastermatch/

tunca wrote:And if Curve EQ can do this,which plugin will feed it with signal?

Thanks.
not quite sure what you mean there, could you explain?

whyterabbyt wrote:

Thanks.
Q-Clone has another plugin that sends signal to hardware and then Q-Clone capturing responses from hardware.I believe signal is fast sine sweep.

tunca wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

Thanks.
Q-Clone has another plugin that sends signal to hardware and then Q-Clone capturing responses from hardware.I believe signal is fast sine sweep.
Isnt that made clear on the CurveEQ webpage? An instance can capture/load/save a spectrum curve. That could be from the same source material through a given device, but it can also be matching the spectrum distribution of an entirely different recording.

Recording A + <device> -> curve

Recording A + curve = device matching

Recording B + curve = EQ distribution matching

whyterabbyt wrote:
tunca wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:

Thanks.
Isnt that made clear on the CurveEQ webpage? An instance can capture/load/save a spectrum curve. That could be from the same source material through a given device, but it can also be matching the spectrum distribution of an entirely different recording.

Recording A + <device> -> curve

Recording A + curve = device matching

Recording B + curve = EQ distribution matching
Yes,i know how matching eqs working.

But Q-Clone sending a loop always to hardware.It has another plugin to do that.

But with Curve eq how can i send signal loop? I need extra loop plugin to feed hardware.

Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst Multi records and writes out reference curves. An instance before and after the unit in question, flip to FreqAnalyst's difference view and you're there.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

tunca wrote:Yes,i know how matching eqs working.
maybe, but you seem to be struggling with how the matching can be implemented.

But with Curve eq how can i send signal loop? I need extra loop plugin to feed hardware.
Q-capture does two things; it generates a signal on its output, and it analyses the signal on its input. You need to configure the DAW to route that appropriately to hardware to suit that expectation.

But if your DAW is routed appropriately for that expectation, then actually it doesn't matter where the signal originates, or whether the plugin that analyses the result is also the plugin that uses the result of the analysis.

Just because Q-Clone and Q-Capture are separate plugins doesn't mean that its a process that requires that separation. A single plugin can do what Q-Clone does and what Q-Capture does.

In CurveEQ's case it does what Q-Clone does and most of what Q-Capture does. It doesnt generate a signal, presumably because it has a wider use case, but prerecorded white (or maybe pink, I forget) noise would be sufficient; with a 'uniform' input, the post-hardware-processed signal would reflect the spectral signature imparted by the hardware.

whyterabbyt wrote:
tunca wrote:Yes,i know how matching eqs working.
maybe, but you seem to be struggling with how the matching can be implemented.

Q-capture does two things; it generates a signal on its output, and it analyses the signal on its input. You need to configure the DAW to route that appropriately to hardware to suit that expectation.

But if your DAW is routed appropriately for that expectation, then actually it doesn't matter where the signal originates, or whether the plugin that analyses the result is also the plugin that uses the result of the analysis.

Just because Q-Clone and Q-Capture are separate plugins doesn't mean that its a process that requires that separation. A single plugin can do what Q-Clone does and what Q-Capture does.

In CurveEQ's case it does what Q-Clone does and most of what Q-Capture does. It doesnt generate a signal, presumably because it has a wider use case, but prerecorded white (or maybe pink, I forget) noise would be sufficient; with a 'uniform' input, the post-hardware-processed signal would reflect the spectral signature imparted by the hardware.
Thanks for explanation.I guess i misunderstood how CurveEQ works.

I need to try demo version.

But i have another question...

People says that Q-Clone is sounding better with hardware than digital or analog modeling eqs.What do you think?

tunca wrote:People says that Q-Clone is sounding better with hardware than digital or analog modeling eqs.What do you think?
I doubt it. The elements of hardware devices that are deemed desirable are generally the nonlinearities etc that cant be fully replicated by Q-Cloning hardware or software. (Sort of the same as basically applies to IRs of hardware reverbs; the fundamental limitations of IRs in reproducing a reverb apply whether the IR is of hardware or software or even a real room)

I'd file that under confirmation bias, to be honest; people who decide QCloned hardware intrinsically sounds better do so because they're disposed to thinking hardware intrinsically sounds better in the first place...

Q-Clone is indeed great at capturing those eq curves and the overall tone, but it doesn’t really do the harmonic saturation of a device.

But this could still be a great tool to also simplify all your eq curves in your DAW down to one plugin, freeing up your CPU. This could work out great for secondary instruments where harmonic saturation is less of a concern

It’s a pity Sintafex has that patent, there is so much that can be potentially done with dynamic convolution.

simon.a.billington wrote:Q-Clone is indeed great at capturing those eq curves and the overall tone, but it doesn’t really do the harmonic saturation of a device.

But this could still be a great tool to also simplify all your eq curves in your DAW down to one plugin, freeing up your CPU. This could work out great for secondary instruments where harmonic saturation is less of a concern

It’s a pity Sintafex has that patent, there is so much that can be potentially done with dynamic convolution.
I have some outboard gear.Normally i'm processing and committing or freezing channel and using it on another channel.But maybe Q-Clone is good option to use my EQs on every channel without freezing.

It's like using digital eq with midi controller.Nothing special but easy.

Its no different to any other convo plugin.

Meldas convo plugin can send and record responses and FLStudio and Studio One have it built in too
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”