Superior Drummer 3 vs Addictive 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Addictive Drums Superior Drummer 3

twitewhite wrote:
5Lives wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:What is the advantage of SD3 over BFD3?
I've only tried the demo of BFD3, but SD3's interface is so much better and I find the sounds and variety in the Core samples better as well. I've also experienced robust stability with Toontrack's software with good updates (something FXpansion has not really done - see Geist 2).

I would highly recommend SD3 to anybody looking for acoustic drums. It literally is superior.

In terms of interface and experimenting, probably. In terms of sound, no.

BFD's cymbal modeling makes it superior to any other drum software out there for realistic stuff if you plan on riding cymbal/hi-hats. Once you've heard it, all others sound fake. Sure, you can somewhat do this yourself by adjusting attack on individual hits, but BFD makes it so easy. Highly recommended, especially now that there's a huge sale.
This is what I've always heard. I have no need for an RMX-like experience, nor indeed any type of loop construction experimentation. I'm after the best sounding, most expressive kit.

I really wish I was able to demo a full version of both BFD and Superior to make sure, as either is a huge investment.

SD3 is the new standard, it's that good.

It looks like it’s just gonna have to be one of those times when I just get both.

If it lacks cymbal swell modeling and tom resonance modeling - both of which work as advertised in BFD3 - 'literally is superior' is literally subjective and not objectively factual. Having the application do your drumming for you may seem very exciting but as a delivery mechanism for a drum performance and drum mix, BFD3 is not lacking. There is no cute shit you can pull to fake the cymbal swell modeling, it's synergistic what cymbals do with repeated hitting.

twitewhite wrote:
5Lives wrote:
I've only tried the demo of BFD3, but SD3's interface is so much better and I find the sounds and variety in the Core samples better as well. I've also experienced robust stability with Toontrack's software with good updates (something FXpansion has not really done - see Geist 2).

I would highly recommend SD3 to anybody looking for acoustic drums. It literally is superior.

BFD's cymbal modeling makes it superior to any other drum software out there for realistic stuff if you plan on riding cymbal/hi-hats. Once you've heard it, all others sound fake. Sure, you can somewhat do this yourself by adjusting attack on individual hits, but BFD makes it so easy. Highly recommended, especially now that there's a huge sale.

SD3 has a similar option that works well enough (it does adjust the attack on the cymbal hits when you play them fast enough). In terms of sound, it's just as good.

Obvious561 wrote:SD3 is the new standard, it's that good.
There is no standard; only what is preferable or more suitable to a particular user. So, perhaps you might qualify this opinion, and let us know why this is better for you than all the others you have tried/owned :tu:

noiseboyuk wrote:
macmuse wrote:
zvenx wrote:I think SD3 is a game changer as much as stylus rmx was back in the days.
How so?
I can't speak for zvenx, but here's my take on that idea. Stylus made things easy and fun, positively encouraging experimentation without getting all nerdy and computer-technical. I still love working with it even though the library covers mostly the mid 1850s. The speed and ease of throwing together elements from different loops, time-locking them and generally mucking about is a joy, and remains so (even as the world waits for its desperately overdue replacement).

The difference between SD2 and SD3 is just phenomenal to me. It's all about the user interface, which - just like RMX - makes experimentation very simple. So quick to switch out kit parts and manipulate them, tap in a groove and find a real drummer playing it, create subtle or wild variations in the mixer, generate an entire song's worth of grooves generated from just the one, all without having to wear a propeller hat or drink real ale. That said, EZ Drummer 2 has many of the same features and predates it, but of course SD3 steps up the quality and sophistication considerably.

In short - both are just fun to play around with, and sound great.

You did a much better me than me :)
In all seriousness what he said and, it sounds to me like the drummer is in the room with me, no other drum library has done this to me.
And the tap2find and matching grooves and giving u alternatives, what a drummer would play, alternatives to the grooves you select are for me game changing.

When rmx came out, for me anyway it changed the way I worked with drum loops and other loops.. Nothing else was like it at the time.
Rsp
sound sculptist

EvilDragon wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
5Lives wrote:

SD3 has a similar option that works well enough (it does adjust the attack on the cymbal hits when you play them fast enough). In terms of sound, it's just as good.
Just curious, is this documented anywhere? This is the first time I've heard of it in SD3, and it's a pretty killer feature in terms of realism, so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't promote it.

When I compare SD3 to a REAL drumkit, SD 3 doesn't sound fake to me...

twitewhite wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
5Lives wrote:

Just curious, is this documented anywhere? This is the first time I've heard of it in SD3, and it's a pretty killer feature in terms of realism, so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't promote it.

https://www.toontrack.com/manual/superi ... -smoothing

Just on the above as it looks like you have to be logged in to see it, here's the what the manual says in relation to the Smoothing slider:
Smoothing (previously known as Multiple Hits Emulation) ensures that the attack of the stick is appropriately blended in when repeatedly hitting a cymbal (as it is in real life when you strike a cymbal multiple times in a row).

Smoothing is not only a smart feature, it is also configurable and flexible, offering results you thought were impossible to achieve. Best of all, it can used on any instrument or articulation, for creative moments, or the pesky snare buzz rolls you may have struggled with before.

Dragging the slider to the right will increase the amount of Smoothing that is present for the selected instrument. For drums its default position is off, and for Cymbals the default positions were determined by the sound designer as part of the build of the given sound library.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

EvilDragon wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
twitewhite wrote:
5Lives wrote:

https://www.toontrack.com/manual/superi ... -smoothing
Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for that. Looks like I'll have to be giving SD3 a second look.

Returning to SD3 vs AD2:

SD3 seems like the better product overall: features, sound included, interface, sound design, etc.

AD2 is cheaper to jump in and you can get only the kits you want, some of them have a very good character. And it goes on sale regularly at 50% off, so you can get 3 kits for 75 with the custom bundle or 6 for 150 with the custom xl bundle, much more cheaper than SD3.
dedication to flying

Seems to me that a more appropriate comparison would be EZ Drummer 2 vs Addictive Drummer 2.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Seems to me that a more appropriate comparison would be EZ Drummer 2 vs Addictive Drummer 2.
Yes, or as evidenced above, BFD3 vs. SD3.

Return to “Instruments”