Twangström Public Beta (Update: rev 8131)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most spring tanks have no "significant" content above 5k, because it's a relatively inert dampened mass-spring system and there's loss in the transducers. Therefore, since the modelling involves quite some numbercrunching, we're downsampling the very spring part (11-12k SR).
However, there is some slight sparkle above 5k on real-world tanks, which is of quite low volume (like 20-30dB below the rest), but it can become more audible in some situations.
I've made some benchmark tests with the latest dsp code, and it seems we can try downsampling to 22-24k, and thus retain that sparkle. CPU increase might go up by 30% in total, but we can throw a HQ button on the UI for that.
That doesn't mean it becomes way brighter, though. One can compare it to a guitar-amp speaker: most cut off abruptly at 4-5k, but it matters if you set a steep lowpass at 10k or none at all, since those also have some low-amplitude partials. But the overall low-pass property remains the same, as with the tank.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

sounds good to me - HQ button ist fine :-)

I don't know if the Guitar Rig spring reverb is based on impulse responses or on modelling a spring tank. As a spring reverb its sound seems maybe a bit too smooth and clean. It has this twang sound but when you're dialing high damping down to 0 the sound becomes much brighter, though far from being as bright as with an emulation of plate or chamber reverbs. I don't know, maybe that sparkle above 5k will make the difference.

I'm all for it, personally. Thank you very much.

EDIT: ("it" being 'an option for twice the operating frequency.')
Last edited by sleepcircle on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sascha wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm That doesn't mean it becomes way brighter, though.
I know little about Spring Reverbs... I do think Twangstrom sound excellent... until you get up to some higher notes, then it sorta disappears.

I have no opinion what, if anything, you should do. The thought that came to mind while testing Twangstrom was a 4th spring model... maybe an 'unreal' model that behaves differently for higher notes.

Regardless, I will happily use the plugin as is.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 am The thought that came to mind while testing Twangstrom was a 4th spring model... maybe an 'unreal' model that behaves differently for higher notes.
That’s a great idea.

Even though I have three "hard" springs right here, I bought it. Pair it with a valve/tube or transformer plugin, and you're actually going into that elusive, dare I say it, Grampian territory. And I love the mod matrix, I can't believe noone has done that before. Env to spring bump is just right.

As for the other spring plugins out there, I'm keeping Nexcellence (it's very different and very good), but the rest are now officially retired. There's no way that the Twang can be your only reverb, but if you want _that_ sound for your neo-dub (I do), it's bang on.

And the name? Inspired by a certain scandinavian amplifier company?

[edit: I see that this is my first post since 2010. I should come here more often :) ]

r,
j,

Agreed, the more I play with it, the better it gets.
Feels and sounds very authentic.

About the name they said its a mix of "twang" and "angstrom"
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m

pretty genius :hihi:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Niowiad wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:27 am About the name they said its a mix of "twang" and "angstrom"
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m (https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m)

pretty genius :hihi:
Ah. A little bit of twang, then :) I thought it was a nod to the Hagström amps, some of them do have that surf rock thing going, esp. the '60s models.

r,
j,

and here is a set of more ruthless presets i made last night:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92p34vib02eyh ... 2.zip?dl=0

best used with some modular synth action like
for example selfgenerative Aaalto or similar...

I'd like to amend my previous comment about the wet/dry to say that i've had more success with the wet/dry controls as an aux than as an insert. The "sweet spot" I was trying to find as an insert was kind of driving me nuts because it seemed like there's this area in the 30% range or so that would go from just a touch too much to almost completely separated in the background. When I use it at 100% on an aux, I'm not hearing the same thing. I'm obviously no spring expert haha. I'm not sure why it sounds so much more "attached" as an aux vs wet/dry, but I really like it when it fits the source.

gerrit wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:53 pm I don't know if the Guitar Rig spring reverb is based on impulse responses or on modelling a spring tank. As a spring reverb its sound seems maybe a bit too smooth and clean. It has this twang sound but when you're dialing high damping down to 0 the sound becomes much brighter, though far from being as bright as with an emulation of plate or chamber reverbs. I don't know, maybe that sparkle above 5k will make the difference.
Impulse Resonses licensed from Morevox. Overloud licenses IRs from Morevox also.

sascha wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm Most spring tanks have no "significant" content above 5k, because it's a relatively inert dampened mass-spring system and there's loss in the transducers. Therefore, since the modelling involves quite some numbercrunching, we're downsampling the very spring part (11-12k SR).
However, there is some slight sparkle above 5k on real-world tanks, which is of quite low volume (like 20-30dB below the rest), but it can become more audible in some situations.
I've made some benchmark tests with the latest dsp code, and it seems we can try downsampling to 22-24k, and thus retain that sparkle. CPU increase might go up by 30% in total, but we can throw a HQ button on the UI for that.
That doesn't mean it becomes way brighter, though. One can compare it to a guitar-amp speaker: most cut off abruptly at 4-5k, but it matters if you set a steep lowpass at 10k or none at all, since those also have some low-amplitude partials. But the overall low-pass property remains the same, as with the tank.
But even that leaves room to play with, which is great. If it needs more prominence we can always boost, saturate and/or compress for sustaining/side chaining tails. The HQ will work great in a mixing environment where heavy CPU is already expected (and any HQ or oversampling modes are maxed... and where freezing/bouncing is our friend).

jkirk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 am Even though I have three "hard" springs right here, I bought it. Pair it with a valve/tube or transformer plugin, and you're actually going into that elusive, dare I say it, Grampian territory. And I love the mod matrix, I can't believe noone has done that before. Env to spring bump is just right.

As for the other spring plugins out there, I'm keeping Nexcellence (it's very different and very good), but the rest are now officially retired. There's no way that the Twang can be your only reverb, but if you want _that_ sound for your neo-dub (I do), it's bang on.

And the name? Inspired by a certain scandinavian amplifier company?

[edit: I see that this is my first post since 2010. I should come here more often :) ]

r,
j,
Now I have to try Nexcellence! but yes the others will be retired. I don’t have UAD, so can’t compare to those but this is just lovely.

Awesome on synth lines and adds a lot of cool little percussive pings in the background when driven with drums. Hoping there is some sort of chorus/rotary type of effect in the making from U-he to pair with this so I can buy that too ;)

Return to “u-he”