Mix Contest: One more question (about -16 LUFS level requirement)

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As for quiet - you just need to normalize it properly next time. In face just a single person in the contest did normalize things properly... oh well... So I needed to normalize after that, but I obviously couldn't normalize those, who would be peaking, so... You are probably one of them, limiter is the solution next time ;)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I didn't normalize correctly. But as I may have stated, I had all tracks turned down a lot while tracking. I had 8 instances of MPowersynth, mostly turned down so that they showed at -23 LUFS or so (on each MPowersynth instance, I typically turned the volume to -20 to -30 db).
My whole mix was at -15LUFS, just a bit louder than the -16LUFS requirement. But when I dragged the exported render to batch process, I got clipping by a few db. So, I don't get why I got clipping when the mix was turned down a bit.
Maybe a tutorial on gain staging, metering, and normalizing would help quite a few of us.

But again, thanks for the contest! I really improved something that I originally did in Ableton, replacing the Ableton sounds with MPowersynth. My mix wasn't quite right, but I still have a project I like!

That's the problem! You lowered the volume. But for normalization the volume needed to be increased, so as you got clipping, me too :). The whole thing is a bit problematic, but basic idea is to use a limiter (MLimiterX for example) and set it up, so that the integrated loudness after it becomes what you want or higher. Normalizing then isn't a problem, because it would only mean gain down.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hmmmm....still, I'm confused :dog:
My whole mix was at -15LUFS, which is louder than -16 LUFS, right? Shouldn't normalizing a mix at -15 LUFS to -16 LUFS entail reduction?

Maybe this will sum things up: Is it then best to maximize the mix to just below the level of digital clipping in the daw (dbfs?) - and then normalize? I will test this myself, but I don't trust my own tests for now.

...fwiw...all I have on my 2bus is MLoudnessAnalizer...try doing that and sending us a screenshot...the numbers that matter, for now, are "true peak" and "integrated"...hth.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

sirmonkey wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:12 am ...
My whole mix was at -15LUFS, which is louder than -16 LUFS, right? Shouldn't normalizing a mix at -15 LUFS to -16 LUFS entail reduction?
Yes, but maybe you were clipping at -15LUFS and didn't realize?

Hmmm, no idea about your specific mix, I just know that half of the contestants couldn't be normalized to avoid peaking and from what you wrote before you would be one of them - after all you said that you couldn't normalize, because there was clipping, so you lowered the volume.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”