iZotope bought Exponential Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

mcbpete wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:36 pm
kgdrum wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:28 am I couldn’t find any upgrade prices,I want to upgrade from R2 to R4
Confusing R4 isn't an upgrade to R2, they're two (very slightly) different algos (unless I've misunderstood):

https://www.exponentialaudio.com/r4-faq
Does R4 sound like R2, just with more parameters?
No. It can be very close, but it's not an exact match and is not intended as a substitute. All of the R2 presets have been imported into R4, but they will sound a little different.

fwiw:Exponential had upgrade prices and also discounted R4 upgrades for people that had R2 during sales.
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

Best exponential Audio reverb?

Will they remove ilok?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:00 pm Will they remove ilok?
Read the FAQ. No physical iLok necessary, only hard drive authorization.

perfumer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:09 pm
Actually, even under EA it was eventually possible to authorise via soft-iLok.

I must have demoed some EA stuff many years ago and already got the first spam mail...

not sure what i think of this... michael was a real prick over the phoenix>nimbus thing... that is when i quit even looking at EA product although i have what i want from them. as for izotope... i was lucky to have bought the first release of the music production bundle and got ALL single licenses and they have constantly tried to get me to upgrade so the products would ALL fall under one license :( not good also izotope is good about a slight revamp of a product and want full price again for a new name and slight update to GUI. so it remains to be seen how this will eventually turn out... at least for me but both companies have been on the side burner for a while now on my stove :P cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:17 pm
perfumer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:09 pm
Actually, even under EA it was eventually possible to authorise via soft-iLok.
A few months ago I was considering Excalibur. Then was the last time I read about their authorization scheme. The new products e.g. Nimbus and R4 and the surround stuff were physical key only, the older - hard drive.

So this has changed.

axb312 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:00 pm Best exponential Audio reverb?
Depends what your needs.

PhoenixVerb and NIMBUS are natural acoustic spaces - "known for their purity and clarity, with no pitch effects in the tail."

R2 and R4 are processed sounding reverbs - "vintage warmth and a lush, moving reverb tails."  Eg. Classic Lexicon sound and more.

I got Phoenix and Nimbus when they were released. Didn't get others as I have many processed reverb options. The ones I have sound excellent, but the demos of the others are amazing too.

BTW -- The stereo reverb bundle crossgrade appears to include Izotope customers who don't own EA reverbs.  That's a great deal if it works.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/exp ... icing.html

I have R2, and i absolutely love the sound of it. It also does a awesome job as a Plate reverb, and is my first choice for that.

So did anybody else watch the video? This is not just a buy out of older products but will be working on newer products together.

Also reverb has always been Izotopes achilles heal in terms of sound quality. Which is why they never released a standalone reverb plugin are even implemented a tweakable verb into they're current products. So for Nectar and Neutron users this is huge news because I imaging those EA algos will make it's way into those products but probably not until the next numbered version.

Kevin63101 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:36 pm
axb312 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:00 pm Best exponential Audio reverb?
Depends what your needs.

PhoenixVerb and NIMBUS are natural acoustic spaces - "known for their purity and clarity, with no pitch effects in the tail."

R2 and R4 are processed sounding reverbs - "vintage warmth and a lush, moving reverb tails."  Eg. Classic Lexicon sound and more.

I got Phoenix and Nimbus when they were released. Didn't get others as I have many processed reverb options. The ones I have sound excellent, but the demos of the others are amazing too.

BTW -- The stereo reverb bundle crossgrade appears to include Izotope customers who don't own EA reverbs.  That's a great deal if it works.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/exp ... icing.html
I believe you are right and the crossgrade works from any Izotope product.

What are the differences between Phoenix and Nimbus. I demo'd these against Acon Verberate 2, which I recently bought and Nimbus seemed the cleanest somehow, particulary for orchestral mockups...

Nimbus is the newer version of Phoenix with a few more controls - So consider Phoenix to be Nimbus Lite !

EDIT: Erm, I think ! I'm now doubting myself (and the R2 vs R4 comparison).

EDIT2: Aha, found a cached version of the FAQ that clears it up and it is what I thought:
Does NIMBUS sound like PhoenixVerb, just with more parameters?
Yes. It sounds exactly like PhoenixVerb, but only if you haven't used any of the new parameters. All of the PhoenixVerb presets have been imported into NIMBUS.
Does R4 sound like R2, just with more parameters?
No. It can be very close, but it's not an exact match and is not intended as a substitute. All of the R2 presets have been imported into R4, but they will sound a little different.
So Nimbus is a souped up PhoenixVerb. R4 and R2 are slightly different from one another

For completeness the difference between the R series and Nimbus/Phoenix is as follows:
How similar are R4 and NIMBUS?
They are similar operationally (we don't want you to have to relearn) but the similarities end there. They have different early reflection patterns and completely different reverb engines. NIMBUS is very smooth, natural and transparent. It works best in situations where you don't want to call attention to the reverb--live recording, dialog, sweetening, rooms. R4 has a more aggressive tail that may remind you of hardware reverbs from days gone by. Modulation is obvious--intentionally so--and creates a 'produced' sense of depth. And of course R4 has the 'freeze' function and modulated EQ. At Exponential Audio we believe in 'horses for courses'. Either reverb will do a great job for you. With both you'll cover all the bases.

No no, what I actually meant:

Will iZotope now remove the soft ilok from the exponential audio software and join it into their usual protection scheme? I only ask, because I am not such a fan of soft ilok, since it introduces a lot of disadvantages for the paying customer, for example it seems to be require two permanent and clunky installed system services and also is very expensive when it comes to reselling or recovering licenses (I would expect to pay the vendor but not the license scheme provider), etc. Also I always have the impression that software using soft ilok tends to be more buggy and/or unstable and performs worse... Maybe that is a wrong assumption, though.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:17 pm No no, what I actually meant:
[snip...]
I hated the idea of needing an iLok dongle. I refused and complained inscesently in the forum, much like as seen here. Then I was able to buy one for $20 and figured ok... also I moved from working on a macbook pro to a mac pro, which also made a difference.

The only difference I notice with using iLok hardware is how many more amazing software tools are at my disposal, compared to working without it. My mind completely changed - I think iLok is pretty cool. I understand why devs use it as well. I keep a second iLok with licenses with 2 or more activations, as a back up. This way if something bad happens to main iLok I will only have to wait for them to restore those licenses with 1 activation. I do this instead of paying for ZDT.

iLok has been very stable and reliable and I don't know any performance issues.

I recently had my first iLok scare but it was easily resolved by running the sync command on the dongle. I think Logic had a hiccup that broke something that causes the iLok to not be recognized. sync in the iLok app solved it. :phones:

Return to “Effects”