XLN Audio - XO - Improvement, Pros, Cons

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guise's any update is welcome (its not dead) but it isn't what everyone has been asking for, maybe the 'latest version of internal platform' had to be done before they could start making big changes
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah that's just a ticking over release. As said, at least it's not completely dead.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I'm getting rather sick of waiting for them to bother to actually improve this. I asked their support a few years back if they are going to be updating XO with sequencing improvements, and they skirted round the question, saying that they couldn't give any details, but that they hadn't forgotten it and it would be updated. But what is actually in this update really? I now have much better actual drum machines and I'm therefore getting very close to selling my license for XO (if anyone will have it). As it currently stands it's a decidedly average drum machine, and in fact, it's really now just a rather expensive sample sorter. I know you shouldn't buy software hoping that it will one day become what it is you really want, but when it first materialised it was something quite exciting, that had obvious sequencing flaws, but with a bit of TLC could be fantastic, so I took the plunge. Years later and really absolutely nothing has been improved. I'm starting to see a pattern with XLN. When Wave Alchemy implements sample sorting into Triaz, which they will because when they say something they really mean it, what will XO have going for it if you own Triaz?

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm Changes to 1.6.0

Updated to latest version of internal platform
Native titlebars
Rich text in help tips
Stepped pitch knobs
Tweaks to the UI for padlocks
Various bugfixes and performance improvements

Must be the big changes they said were coming very soon!
Lol!

wltchris101 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:48 pm
When Wave Alchemy implements sample sorting into Triaz, which they will because when they say something they really mean it, what will XO have going for it if you own Triaz?
Not a damn thing.

i try to get away from this company, with their latest plugin they hit the nail.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:29 pm i try to get away from this company, with their latest plugin they hit the nail.
I certainly will think twice, or maybe even thrice, before I invest in them in the future. It'll have to be something totally groundbreaking to get me interested. I was holding out for an XO update, hoping they were at least going to implement some sequencer improvements, but unfortunately they now have a reputation as far as I'm concerned for not caring about updating their previous products. Unless they're holding out for a version 2 paid upgrade, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that for a few sequencer improvements that probably should have been implemented as free version 1 point updates (again they could take a leaf out of Wave Alchemy's book with their philosophy, who not only are listening to and engaging with customers, but are committed to improving it and also have published a roadmap of coming improvements - that's the way to do it!)

wltchris101 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:48 pmWhen Wave Alchemy implements sample sorting into Triaz, which they will because when they say something they really mean it, what will XO have going for it if you own Triaz?
For me, plenty. There is no other solution out there for me (yet) that allows me to manage my drumsamples so efficiently and allows me to build drumkits so swiftly without having to plow through samples.

LFO8 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:01 pm
wltchris101 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:48 pmWhen Wave Alchemy implements sample sorting into Triaz, which they will because when they say something they really mean it, what will XO have going for it if you own Triaz?
For me, plenty. There is no other solution out there for me (yet) that allows me to manage my drumsamples so efficiently and allows me to build drumkits so swiftly without having to plow through samples.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. You are right - the sample sorting aspect of XO is very good. I guess I'm just annoyed at them for not being bothered to go the extra mile just a little bit to improve the other aspects so that I don't need to go outside XO to another piece of software for deeper pattern creation.

I would pay for XO 2.0. (again I mean)

wltchris101 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:11 am
LFO8 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:01 pm
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. You are right - the sample sorting aspect of XO is very good. I guess I'm just annoyed at them for not being bothered to go the extra mile just a little bit to improve the other aspects so that I don't need to go outside XO to another piece of software for deeper pattern creation.
I kind of agree with both of you here. I just spent some time making a Pluginguru Unify patch allowing for a single track with all 16 pads exposed to the Launchpad Pro MKIII and Beatstep Pro hardware MIDI drum sequencers I have here, because like the champs they are, XLN decided not to allow the MIDI notes to be changed in XO, and 8 is all you need you silly fool! I'm not deep enough into Unify yet to know if I can route all pads to outs inside Unify to allow for processing of individual parts, hopefully, but for now I at least have access to the cloud for 16 pads on my controllers/sequencers.

XO is IMO mostly a shit show of epic fail in terms of a sequencer, I'm not all about odd time signatures but I am enough to be severely limited by the internal one. When it comes to the cloud though, nothing beats it for drums and percussion. I mean that, I don't think Ableton's new AI browser, Sononym, or Atlas 2 come close.

It's strength is to me finding samples w/out clicking through the hundreds of folders/subfolders and forgetting good sample packs I completely forgot about, and being able to go in blind all on the one sample cloud page. I think it's good in a psychological sense b/c you don't search based on prejudiced intentions like, "oh I'm making a this genre track, I need a that genre kick or snare" but rather choosing based solely on sound.

It's never my first choice, more like 4th or 5th but I rarely get that far down the list.

I love their 808 setting, for kicks esp. but it takes too long to load on my setup. It's limited, which can be a good or bad thing, personally I've stopped using it as much over time.

Return to “Instruments”