The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more!
ElKabong
KVRer
8 posts since 9 Feb, 2019

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:27 pm
Mercurial Spark just went on sale 50% off for 72 hours. FYI. This is my favorite Marshall sim to date.

I am curious why a few products were not included in this big review thread. For example, these are missing and IMHO in some cases are some of the best:
  • Mercurial
  • JamVox
  • Kazrog Thermionik and Recabinet
  • Waves GTR
  • SoftTube Vintage Room
  • Plugin Alliance
  • TSE X50
  • Kuassa
Probably a few more I'm overlooking....
Spark is seriously great. It's a one trick pony, but it's a great trick.

Thermionik is discontinued; if OP doesn't already have a copy, it might not be easy to get a hold of.

Dewdman42
KVRAF
1712 posts since 14 Mar, 2006

Re: The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm

It’s not discontinued. The author told me he is hard at work on the next much improved version. I don’t know why it’s temporarily not available to buy.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-128gb 10.14, X32+AES16e-50, LPX, Cubase, StudioOne, DP, Reaper, VEP7, VSL Full Cube, MirPro, EWHO Diamond, Kirk Hunter, etc

ElKabong
KVRer
8 posts since 9 Feb, 2019

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm
It’s not discontinued. The author told me he is hard at work on the next much improved version. I don’t know why it’s temporarily not available to buy.
It is described on the Kazrog website as discontinued. I have also heard that a new version is in the works; but for the time being, there is no version available whatsoever.

https://kazrog.com/pages/discontinued-products

Dewdman42
KVRAF

Post Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:20 pm

It is described on the website as “discontinued temporarily”.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-128gb 10.14, X32+AES16e-50, LPX, Cubase, StudioOne, DP, Reaper, VEP7, VSL Full Cube, MirPro, EWHO Diamond, Kirk Hunter, etc

Anderton
KVR Expert
136 posts since 4 Mar, 2004
KVR Expert

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:20 am

Dewdman42 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:27 pm
I am curious why a few products were not included in this big review thread. For example, these are missing and IMHO in some cases are some of the best:
  • Mercurial
  • JamVox
  • Kazrog Thermionik and Recabinet
  • Waves GTR
  • SoftTube Vintage Room
  • Plugin Alliance
  • TSE X50
  • Kuassa
Probably a few more I'm overlooking....
There are several more, not to mention the ones included with various DAWs. The initial goal was to cover the most prominent/established sims during KVR's "Guitar Month" of August. As you can see, it went well past August. :) And the thread took off to a much greater degree than was anticipated.

KVR is currently considering whether to extend the thread to include additional sims, and if so, in what format - keep this thread going, edit this thread down to just the reviews (and comments related to specific sims) and then add to it, start a new thread, have separate threads for separate different amps, have me continue to moderate or have someone else, etc. etc.
My educational website has launched! Read articles, see videos, read reviews, and more at https://craiganderton.org. Check out my music at YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit my digital storefront at https://craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Dewdman42
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Excellent to hear!

audiojunkie
KVRAF
2912 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:13 pm

KVR is currently considering whether to extend the thread to include additional sims...
This has been a really informative thread! I've got it bookmarked so I can reference it later. I would love to see it continued and expanded to the other available modeler software packages!! I don't think there would be any benefit to changing the format or editing things. The context from the comments is just as important as the actual reviews themselves. If KVR is listening, my vote is to just continue on with this thread as it has been going, and continue reviewing the other available modelers. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Dewdman42
KVRAF

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

I can see a benefit to creating a consolidated summary page with a lot of the arguing removed, but I would also ask that this thread not be edited, it should be preserved as is also as there is still useful information coming out of the debates. The new consolidated summary should be something new.

CapnLockheed
KVRAF
2263 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:29 pm

I can see a benefit to creating a consolidated summary page with a lot of the arguing removed
Great idea? So when are you going to start working on it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot

qywx
KVRer
6 posts since 27 Oct, 2019

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:34 am

Have a nice day!

Which guitar vst do you think can create a sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36mSSa ... u.be&t=197

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wD1e8Em2wI

Return to “KVR Experts”