Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:36 pm
Psuper wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 pm IOS and Touch are both something I coudln't care less about
Same. And, i'm pretty sure that hold true for most other users of desktop DAW's as well. At least at the moment. Who know what will be in 5 or 10 years.
I sit so far from my monitor I can't even reach it to touch it. So touch-screens aren't for me, either.

If you want back ache and use desktop like me, get touch screen. If not, stay away. :help: :hihi:
I've got a laptop I got for free but I never use it. Can't stand laptop. So much more convenient using a mouse than touch. And laptop have too little HD. My 1000 GB isn't enough nor enough of usb on a laptop either.

With my 3rd party plugins technically I could get away with using Cubase 6.5 for everything I need, (6.5 = last version with the old mixer). Having said that being on Cubase 10 now I have far more than that.
Anything Steinberg add in future updates will just be a bonus, I may skip the next few actually.

SLiC wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:38 am
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 amI don’t doubt Studio One can do it all in one but I don’t necessary want that TBH. YMMV obvs ;)
Oh, S1 can only do a fraction of what Cubase can, but - luckily for me - that's the fraction of features that I need :) I always felt overwhelmed by Cubase - it's awesome, but I'm to stupid for it :)
Ditto!

Although I still have Cubase 10 and was with Cubase from the beginning (Pro24) but I can get stuff done in S1 faster, simpler is sometimes better. I think Steinberg lost there way a bit just adding stuff when realy it needed a complete overall of the workflow and GUI to just make stuff more accessible and simpler to set up/find/use (which is I guess what the team who left Cubase did when they write S1!)
Well, to be fair, the last few versions of Cubase have done a LOT to improve workflow. Drag and drop, more unified windows, and a ton of other things. No, it's not as slick as Studio One, and rebuilding the entire app isn't something you will probably ever see.

It's like Steinberg has done with Dorico. Finale and Sibelius have been around forever, and people have complained that they didn't have the best workflows. But their userbase is so vast that changing the core workflow would upset more people than it would satisfy.

So Steinberg came along and made Dorico, which is super fast after a brief learning curve. They built it for a modern workflow, and it's amazing.

Cubase will likely have to continue to make incremental changes because an overhaul would take years and potentially break the workflow and compatibility with tens of thousands of users. And in a few years, another app will come along that improves on anything Studio One or Bitwig does wrong, etc.

But overall, I really feel like Cubase has gotten WORLDS better. I left Cubase at 6.5 because of those workflow issues. I couldn't stand it. Then after a few versions, I saw all my complaints getting addressed, and each release was actually adding things that USERS had requested. And now, Cubase is sitting nicely as my primary DAW again. Not perfect, but far better, and sooooo powerful.

Hopefully they can continue to improve it.

Brent
My host is better than your host

I went from Sonar to Studio One to Cubase and have finally been really learning the ins and outs of Reaper in a serious manner. I'd say the workflow difference between Cubase 10 and Studio One is pretty minor at this point. Studio One has a slight edge, but both are comparable from a workflow [speed] perspective. The far bigger differences are the feature sets. Cubase is much more mature when it comes to MIDI, has the Control Room, a basic staff view, a mature drum editor, MIDI tempo mapping, MPE, etc. On the other hand, Studio One is much better at Remote Control, integrating external effects via Pipeline, better browser, is a bit more intuitive, etc. And neither is particularly CPU efficient compared to Reaper, which has a huge learning curve, is crazy customizable, does some things insanely well, but makes mother things very clunky.

Short version: there's no perfect DAW. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. I agree with Brent in that Cubase has come a long way, and I think that competition from Studio One has helped in that regard. It's a good thing that the different DAW makers are all pushing one another.

Googly Smythe wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:11 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:36 pm
Psuper wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:24 pm IOS and Touch are both something I coudln't care less about
Same. And, i'm pretty sure that hold true for most other users of desktop DAW's as well. At least at the moment. Who know what will be in 5 or 10 years.
I sit so far from my monitor I can't even reach it to touch it. So touch-screens aren't for me, either.
Me neither and i can't stand fingerprints on my screen.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

It's probably low on everyone else's list of priorities, but it's close to the top of mine: underscores in the menus - why were they removed? I'd like to see them replaced.

Give me please, a top to bottom overhaul of the graphics to make all aspects high hdpi ready... make group editing work so it doesn't fail with track versions and lane movement . Stop adding features that work "sort of" - give us a robust tool set that works well or which has well defined limits which are clearly articulated. I have been on Cubase since VST 4 and really enjoy it but there are some features which are not well implemented. Some attention to detail would be appreciated. And yes I'll buy the upgrade as I always do. I am also hoping that they completely support high core counts as I am building my new machine in January and don't want to have to cripple it by disabling cores to get stable performance. Here is to hoping. I got sucked into that thread title by the way. Fool me twice...

Scotty wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:46 pm Give me please, a top to bottom overhaul of the graphics to make all aspects high hdpi ready... make group editing work so it doesn't fail with track versions and lane movement .
That's such a ridiculous bug. The first time I did some multi-track guitar editing in Cubase I managed to completley screw up the comp because Cubase gets completely confused and does weird shit if each take isn't the exact same length. Complete nonsense.

Have you tried reaper?

reggie1979 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:36 am Have you tried reaper?
Surely the very definition of trolling!

Googly Smythe wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:38 am
reggie1979 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:36 am Have you tried reaper?
Surely the very definition of trolling!
Or was it subtle satire and I was too thick to notice?

Too thick to notice. :hihi:

Having fun at KVR shouldn't be a terrible thing, but it is.

reggie1979 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:40 am Too thick to notice. :hihi:
Ha ha! :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”