Kawai K1 as VSTi - Nils' K1v is here

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nils K1v

I just installed the plugin, and man am I feeling nostalgic! I never had a K1, but I can remember spending plenty of time playing it at the local music store. Thank you for sharing this!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 am I never had a K1, but I can remember spending plenty of time playing it at the local music store.
Yeah so did I, but mainly because of the price.

But really I had my eye on the Kawai K4 with its 16 bit sampling.

And next to that was the glorious Korg M1 which very few could afford, but I did pick one up in 1992 or so second hand by which time everything had moved on again.

AnX wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:44 pm
PietW. wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:59 pm Class. Runs absolutely stable in FL Studio. GUI is nice and sharp. Is the K5000 coming next? That would be awesome.
didn't Camel Audio do that?
Sorry. I mean the Kawai K5000. :)
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

jbuonacc wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:51 am
layzer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:30 am heads up for winXP users, XP does not appear to be supported.
heads up for Windows XP users... it is now the year 2020. :o
At least he is able to comment here. :D
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Are multi-patches possible on the K1v?

Not yet, it's planned, but quite far away at the moment. Fixes have priority right now, then Linux & OS X versions. Probably Linux first as I don't own a Mac yet. But Multis are definitely a thing that needs to be added.
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

NVM
Last edited by wagtunes on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

excuse me please wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:26 am PS after some googling I see that the samples are all over the place. However, if Kawai wants to take action, then you are facing trouble.
Samples of the K1 are one thing but physically extracting the Rom chip, placing it into a device and getting the core samples from it is another:

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/2020/06 ... -wave-rom/

I have nothing against Nils and in fact I appreciate his efforts a great deal. I just don't want him to go through all the work and then get a knock on the door from Kawai's lawyers.

Now I have no idea what the copyright status is on the original ROM data. Perhaps it has expired, perhaps Kawai would support the efforts to resurrect the K1 or they simply don't care. There are a lot of possibilities.

It's just a question that has to be asked. If KVR is going to ban members for even discussing warez and rightfully so then something like this project at least needs some clarification.

Again I'm on Nils' side and if this technology could be legally applied to any unit it could open up sample accurate emulations of other synths such as the Ensoniq SQ80 or VFX etc.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:17 pm I just noticed I got 1 up vote and 4 down votes for my track. Guess all my fans must be hanging out here. :lol:
Maybe the down votes were simply because it seemed more about you than the plugin?
IDK, I've completely ignored the thumbs since I've been on KVR. And I rarely even play the things submitted in those comments anymore as the greater majority of them are disappointing and not really worth the bandwidth to me.

I did start to play and skipped through though, and it did make me cringe a little. But not for the reasons you want to make it be.

Maybe do an instrumental of the plugin and put the plug of yourself on your own corner?

What an amazing nice gift!! Great nostalgia and very good executed. Great stuff

NVM
Last edited by wagtunes on Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nils Schneider wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pmFixes have priority right now
Hey, Nils! Can you confirm clickiness in mono mode? Somehow I'm not sure this is supposed to happen.

Also it would be very nice if the mono mode supported trilling under sustain pedal (currently it eats up the notes).

Regarding the copyright thing, there is a reason why I didn't mention the name Kawai anywhere on the final plugin. I exchanged some mails with a european Kawai employee (Michael Kunz) because of my broken K1m and about if there is an option to receive the presets that are built into the PHm module (non-editable version but same engine as the K1, but some presets never appeared for the K1), but I still didn't mention my plugin at all because indeed, I'm unsure about the consequences.

I'm not sure what my next steps will be, but I thought about contacting Michael at Kawai to clarify things before I release an OS X version which will most probably cause it to appear on even more news sites. He's a friendly guy, answers everything he can and loves people that are still using the old machines. Kawai focused on digital pianos long time ago and he is one of the guys that are disappointed about it.

If I, at some point in the future, receive a "nice" letter from Kawai then I'm going to have a problem as there is no way for me to afford a fight like this.
EvilDragon wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:43 pm
Nils Schneider wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:13 pmFixes have priority right now
Hey, Nils! Can you confirm clickiness in mono mode? Somehow I'm not sure this is supposed to happen.

Also it would be very nice if the mono mode supported trilling under sustain pedal (currently it eats up the notes).
Yes, the clicking was not supposed to be there indeed, I have it fixed here locally already (will be version 1.04). I'll look into the hold pedal/mono thing before releasing it.

A question to the FL Studio users that have audio clicks/pops, could someone send me a recording of it? I can't repro it here with FL Studio 20, though I found a possible issue and fixed it, I can't test my fix without having the issue in first place. Thanks :)
https://k1v.nilsschneider.de - Kawai K1 emulated as VSTi/AU
https://heatvst.com - Android Synthesizer with full VST integration
https://gpuimpulsereverb.de - Use your GPU as reverberation DSP

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:32 pm
BBFG# wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:30 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:17 pm I just noticed I got 1 up vote and 4 down votes for my track. Guess all my fans must be hanging out here. :lol:
Maybe the down votes were simply because it seemed more about you than the plugin?
IDK, I've completely ignored the thumbs since I've been on KVR. And I rarely even play the things submitted in those comments anymore as the greater majority of them are disappointing and not really worth the bandwidth to me.

I did start to play and skipped through though, and it did make me cringe a little. But not for the reasons you want to make it be.

Maybe do an instrumental of the plugin and put the plug of yourself on your own corner?
Let's see, another member makes a track using only the K1 and it's fine. I make one and it's all about me.

Neh, there's no double standard around here. :lol:
I missed that one.
Did it include vocals as well?
That's the "standard" I was conveying.
These days, most vocalists make me cringe.
And yes, you're hijacking another thread to make it about you.
That's all.

Return to “Instruments”