Roli: Equator 2 is here !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

There is no law saying that effects cannot exist upstream of MPE channel summing. Obviously my wish can’t come true without a newly designed type of pre-summing fx slot, that’s why I called it a dream, indicating that I don’t really expect it to happen any time soon. But of course it is totally possible to pull off.
The main issue is the sheer CPU cost of doing so.. especially those reverb units. E2 doesn't do core-spanning. Yet. It would need to if we want to go there.

But what is polyphonic is the effects routing. This is a feature (also present on Cypher2) whose power is much underrated. Not only for the obvious MPE reasons (reverb send on SLIDE? yes please..), or well-worn layering tricks - but, for example, you can use one of the envelopes to send just the first or the last part of the sound (time domain wise) to a delay or reverb FX. So you can get delay reflections that just capture the attack transient - or exclude it for a seamless, hazy reverb wash.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:13 pm Equator1 (and thus v2) filters were designed to run on the Arm chip on the Seaboard GRAND, so they are not some high-cpu modelled designs. Still, they are very good as they are and are capable of a huge range of sounds, especially with the non-linear, saturating LP/HP modes which also have a good sounding filter drive.

TIP: The LPF12, LPF24, HPF12, HPF24 filter modes have non-linear behaviour (they introduce subtle saturation) thus don't use these on acoustic samples if you want clean sounds! Use the SV versions which are 'clean'.

In Equator2, the filter selection has been expanded with new saturation and wave-shapers modes. So much to play with without worrying about extreme, maximum resonance settings (how many sounds do you actually make with near max, or max resonance?)

https://soundcloud.com/electric-himalay ... id-presets
Thanks for this
Philippe

Angus_FX wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 am
There is no law saying that effects cannot exist upstream of MPE channel summing. Obviously my wish can’t come true without a newly designed type of pre-summing fx slot, that’s why I called it a dream, indicating that I don’t really expect it to happen any time soon. But of course it is totally possible to pull off.
The main issue is the sheer CPU cost of doing so.. especially those reverb units. E2 doesn't do core-spanning. Yet. It would need to if we want to go there.

But what is polyphonic is the effects routing. This is a feature (also present on Cypher2) whose power is much underrated. Not only for the obvious MPE reasons (reverb send on SLIDE? yes please..), or well-worn layering tricks - but, for example, you can use one of the envelopes to send just the first or the last part of the sound (time domain wise) to a delay or reverb FX. So you can get delay reflections that just capture the attack transient - or exclude it for a seamless, hazy reverb wash.
Thanks for that, I didn’t know about the polyphonic send capability, that’s cool! I just did a simple patch with poly send to a delay on pressure to get warm with the concept. Fun stuff!

I do understand the CPU issue of course, but think the benefit would be immense even with a bunch of assorted low cost FX.

Angus_FX wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 am

didn't thought of that, i have cypher2 (and equator1... not 2... will wait..). thanks! polyphonic routing.. i make a note or else i forget.. will experiment with it in cypher 2. next week..

MSoundFactory can do per voice effects.. a small list, but still.. or small.. it is expanding..

o well back again to: equator2!

Something I really love about Equator 2 is how nice it is to use with a touch screen. In Equator 1, it was quite difficult to grab the modulation rings after clicking a mod source, but in V2, when the mod source is active, you can grab anywhere on the control to adjust the modulation amount. While I can understand that some people might like to be able to adjust the control as well as the mod amount at the same time, I prefer this was of being able to grab anywhere on the control to adjust modulation while the mod source is selected.

Angus, any chance you guys will move the behavior over to Cypher? I find it it even more difficult to grab modulation rings there. I've been saying for ages you guys should simplify that so that when a mod source is selected, you can adjust modulation by clicking and dragging anywhere on the control.

Think we need both behaviours on a toggle. Very much see the appeal on touch screens - but being able to adjust both base value and depth without having to toggle on and off the mod slot source is also kind of handy.

Leave it with me & I'll take a look.

Angus_FX wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:53 pm Think we need both behaviours on a toggle. Very much see the appeal on touch screens - but being able to adjust both base value and depth without having to toggle on and off the mod slot source is also kind of handy.

Leave it with me & I'll take a look.
Cool. Cypher also has the problem of the parameters having way too slow of a response on touch screens (and not great with mouse either), which is the other reason it's not really usable with those. It just takes way too long of a movement, I have to grab it 4 or 5 times to move it from minimum to maximum. Again, Equators response is perfect. So I hope that these things get made consistent between these synths not that you guys are under one roof.

himalaya wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:13 pm Equator1 (and thus v2) filters were designed to run on the Arm chip on the Seaboard GRAND, so they are not some high-cpu modelled designs. Still, they are very good as they are and are capable of a huge range of sounds, especially with the non-linear, saturating LP/HP modes which also have a good sounding filter drive.
By the way, I don't think you need ultra high cpu modeled designs to not have digital artifacts. Synths had smooth artifact free filters 15 years ago in the likes of Zebra, Massive, Reaktor (and other NI synths), Rob Papen synths, Arturia, Sylenth1 and many many more. They may not be ZDF etc., but they did not have ugly digital noises at any settings. High cpu is not a requirement for this.

I am really enjoying learning to create new presets in Equator 2 and wow, its amazingly easier compared to Equator 1.

I have one little issue. I created a new preset using one of the split patches.
My preset is using 3 of the 6 sound sources. Currently all 3 sources and their patches are in poly. I need to set only one of the 3 sources which has my selected sample to mono legato mode and keep the other two sources as is. The global option is obviously not suitable.
I need some help pls. Anyone has any tips on how to do this ?
System: Win10 Pro, Asus 2-in-1, Seaboard 49, Bitwig 3, Pro Tools, Babyface

Cypher also has the problem of the parameters having way too slow of a response on touch screens (and not great with mouse either),
What's your system there and what magnification? IIRC Cypher has inertia modelling on by default, which makes the controls respond more smoothy on a default mouse setup & allows them to be set more accurately, but can imagine that would feel sluggish on a touch screen. I guess you're running it at a scaled-up magnification to make the controls big enough to be easily hit with a finger?

Angus_FX wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:25 am
Cypher also has the problem of the parameters having way too slow of a response on touch screens (and not great with mouse either),
What's your system there and what magnification? IIRC Cypher has inertia modelling on by default, which makes the controls respond more smoothy on a default mouse setup & allows them to be set more accurately, but can imagine that would feel sluggish on a touch screen. I guess you're running it at a scaled-up magnification to make the controls big enough to be easily hit with a finger?
Nah, just normal. On a Windows Surface Pro as well as on a Dell Touch Monitor on Desktop. Both regular resolution. Is it possible to turn off that inertia modeling? I don't know if that would be the solution, but I can just point you to Equator as an example of something that responds perfectly.

Finally got a chance to go thru all the Standard Presets and Favourite those I like.
I note that one of my favourite types of synth sounds, synth brass are very well represented.
Great job, EH.
I am very happy. (If only developers of that other synth that has the name of a Perfume had hired you to do the same.....)
rsp
sound sculptist

So I bought the upgrade from Cypher 2/Strobe 2 (from Plugin Boutique) but can't register it at Roli as Roli connect says I don't own the products to upgrade from. Cant use the fxpansion serials to register them with Roli as they're not recognised. Never got an email code from fxpansion and their support section now points to Roli. Have asked there a couple of times but no reply as yet.

Anyone from Roli/fxpansion care to weigh in?

Register them on fxpansion.com, and contact ROLI support if you want the discount upgrade link to Equator2 (or wait for us to mail it out again).

Thanks for the reply, Cypher2 and Strobe2 are already registered with fxpansion, can't register them at Roli. Not sure what you mean by the discount upgrade link as I've already made the purchase but can't enter the serial I have at Roli or those of Strobe 2 or Cypher 2 which I already own.
Sorry if I'm missing something....

Return to “Instruments”