3.3.3 upgrade - Debian Stable/Buster libxcb-util1 easy fix

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Upgraded to 3.3.3 today and got the libxcb-util1 dependency. I did a quick google and saw a post about making a backport... which I'm sure works but seems awfully labour intensive. I noticed that lots of the posts were diverging into distro wars about why you must use ubuntu because it's supported or arch because its "better"; well I'm on a chrome book so Debian stable is where I live. Here is how to fix it without working really hard or breaking anything.

***just install it from the testing repo***

this is what I did;.....

btw I use nano and aptitude so make sure you have those if you're going to cut/paste...

Code: Select all (#)

sudo apt install nano aptitude
first, i made a sources thing @ /etc/apt/sources.list.d/testing.list

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/testing.list
and i put the testing repo in there

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main
then i made a file to tell apt that i was planning to stay on stable(buster)

sudo nano /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release
and i typed this into it

APT::Default-Release "buster";
done
now you can install anything from testing you like by saying you want testing for the following packages. mine looked like this

aptitude -t testing install libxcb-util1

don't forget to enable your multi-arch for i386 support, you need that too if you don't already have it

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
hope this saves someone some time so you can get back to mixing beats.

-dh

Hey, nice guide. Might check this one out. Maybe that way I can stay mostly on stable and get newest Bitwig versions.

Return to “Bitwig”