retrospective MIDI recording

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apparently, Retrospective MIDI Recording hasn't been implemented yet as Bitwig 4.1. What will happen in the future...

I really want to do Retrospective MIDI Recording, so I use MPC 2 Software as a plug-in and do it in it. But after all, I would like to expect it to be implemented in Bitwig as a native function. As a very easy-to-use feature like that of Ableton Live Capture MIDI...

Digital Performer is one step ahead when it comes to Retrospective Audio Recording.

+1

You could give it your vote in the community wishlist:
https://bitwish.top/t/midi-capture/40

its the one thing that holds me back from using bitwig at all instead of ableton live, i swear.
i even hope taktik has plans to implement it in renoise

I am now using almost only grid for midi and and midi editor just for final furnishing) - so I personally dont mind too much, tough it would come handy here and there.

But Ableton add this feature 7 y ago - This is same story like w/ midi stretching: u know that midi capture can wait... :arrow:

It will be quiet weird if it wont be in soon announced v5.

MrRodent wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:39 am You could give it your vote in the community wishlist:
In that page it is said that there is no alternative to it, it is not totally true, u can trigger/ record midi from/in the grid and if you set intervals, it will trigger that midi, even tough that part starts in the middle of the midi note..

Sevantos wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:19 pm
MrRodent wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:39 am You could give it your vote in the community wishlist:
In that page it is said that there is no alternative to it, it is not totally true, u can trigger/ record midi from/in the grid and if you set intervals, it will trigger that midi, even tough that part starts in the middle of the midi note..
But you know what retrospective record means???

Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:40 pm
Sevantos wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:19 pm
But you know what retrospective record means???
I was talking about midi capture (like in Ableton) - that kind use retrospective recording for creative looping of midi. That is why I also said it is not 100 % true.
OP probably meant rather other use of it - to pull out unrecorded midi... honestly I personally never find use for anything like this so sorry if I derail from the topic...

ADDIT: In first link bellow, u can also see (in Time and Freq twister 2), that it works only after u set intervals phase values for trigger/ release note. Then u can use it like midi capture.
I think complete Midi capture (like in Ableton) could be done with array module - will check...

Sevantos wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:18 pm I was talking about midi capture (like in Ableton) - that kind use retrospective recording for creative looping of midi. That is why I also said it is not 100 % true.
OP probably meant rather other use of it - to pull out unrecorded midi... honestly I personally never find use for anything like this so sorry if I derail from the topic...

ADDIT: In first link bellow, u can also see (in Time and Freq twister 2), that it works only after u set intervals phase values for trigger/ release note. Then u can use it like midi capture.
I think complete Midi capture (like in Ableton) could be done with array module - will check...
But the clue of retrospective recording or midi capture is that you don´t have to setup anything and it´s capturing all of your midi playing all the time without recording, using any devices etc...

So everything you could eventually do in Bitwig has absolutely nothing in common with that...
It´s simply not present and there is absolutely no way to recreate this in any way other than always hit record whenever you feel the need to touch your keyboard... that´s why I asked...

It "has absolutely nothing in common with that..."
Absolutely, man..

Just not sure if u understand, that this feature also allow trigger longer notes while playhead is in the middle of them - so it helps tweak loop with chords notes etc.
U can also combine more or same midi and retrigger them in different position for creative looping (so again even tough u restart in the middle of some note - that note will trigger shorter and hence create new phrasing).
This all can be done in the Grid like a peace of cake ..

Logic has it since 2008 - under "catches" notes.

+1 for this feature. It's the biggest/only thing I miss from Cubase.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

Sevantos wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:10 am It "has absolutely nothing in common with that..."
Absolutely, man..

Just not sure if u understand, that this feature also allow trigger longer notes while playhead is in the middle of them - so it helps tweak loop with chords notes etc.
U can also combine more or same midi and retrigger them in different position for creative looping (so again even tough u restart in the middle of some note - that note will trigger shorter and hence create new phrasing).
This all can be done in the Grid like a peace of cake ..

Logic has it since 2008 - under "catches" notes.
We are talking about 2 different topics here...
This thread is about retrospective record and the only function retrospective record has got is capturing every midi input in the background without you having to record anything and provide it to you as a midi clip if you wish so...
Retrospective record is not about any "phrase" recording/triggering or anything else fancy... just a plain security function that if you have jammed and played the best performance of your life but you forgot to record it will save you here with a click of a button...

I've been requesting this for years now. It would be enough to make me move away from Cubase, methinks...
A well-behaved signature.

They said it is on their list for consideration, and it is top of the list on bitwish https://bitwish.top/c/features/5/l/latest?order=votes
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

There’s no point in discussing retro record with non muso noobs, they won’t get it 😅
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Bitwig”