The Snow Maiden

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/the-snow-maiden

It's been a few months since I last posted, so here's a simple, little 'through-composed' piece (albeit with a subtle final twist) to end the year...

Carillon, church organ, choir and mixed ensemble combine to hopefully create a delicate, poignant little piece with a wintery edge.

For those who enjoy a little more info:

Amongst other sound sources, this one features a Kontakt sample library from Tallin in Estonia...

The world-famous Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir and Tallinn Chamber Orchestra plus two organs—all recorded in the iconic Niguliste church. (beloved of Arvo Part)....

A choir and orchestra famous for their pure, 'Nordic' sound and minimal use of vibrato...

This one is seriously NOT sweeping and epic! :)
Last edited by ChameleonMusic on Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

It has a fantasy vibe in it. It may fit as a soundtrack for some RPG videogame. I like how it keeps nordic winter atmosphere and not trying to be another "Gingle Bells" interpretation.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

One can feel the cold winter creeping into the house.. Could last longer. Nice work! :phones:

VCA-089 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:04 pm It has a fantasy vibe in it. It may fit as a soundtrack for some RPG videogame. I like how it keeps nordic winter atmosphere and not trying to be another "Gingle Bells" interpretation.
+1

Great production and good background music for something in the holiday, mystical spirit.

Nice, liked the flurries and the bells.
Wished it was longer.
Always quality productions...we've missed you around here.

I especially liked the opening with the carillon. The bells have a magical quality. The piece builds nicely but is over quite quickly. A little gem that is worth multiple repeat listens.

Wintery indeed! Great job

Great stuff.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

"The Snow Maiden" is a fairytale-like title. And that's how the song starts ...
it fulfills the expectations of an orchestral, spaciously sound. Choir and
glockenspiel harmonize well with each other - a floating, atmospheric,
fairytale-like mood arises. :wheee: :violin: :shock:

Overall: The instrumental is a bit short. As soon as you have listened to
it, it is already over! Well done! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Very nice. I like the transition from dark and forlorn to bright and hopeful at the end.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

Very inspired. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

VCA-089 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:04 pm It has a fantasy vibe in it. It may fit as a soundtrack for some RPG videogame. I like how it keeps nordic winter atmosphere and not trying to be another "Gingle Bells" interpretation.
Thanks for having a listen and leaving feedback - yes, it's definitely NOT got a JB vibe this one! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

htcnext2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:19 pm One can feel the cold winter creeping into the house.. Could last longer. Nice work! :phones:
Cheers - yes, it will almost certainly get the extended version treatment at some point...already sketched out in rough! :)

Truth is that I'm currently creating a brand new portfolio for online production libraries and publishers and I'm in that 1 min / 90 secs / 2 mins piece headspace as that's what sells best most of the time! :)

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 pm
htcnext2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:19 pm One can feel the cold winter creeping into the house.. Could last longer. Nice work! :phones:
Cheers - yes, it will almost certainly get the extended version treatment at some point...already sketched out in rough! :)

Truth is that I'm currently creating a brand new portfolio for online production libraries and publishers and I'm in that 1 min / 90 secs / 2 mins piece headspace as that's what sells best most of the time! :)
I see, so this was made for a commercial production. The song has a nearly medieval atmosphere. I wonder whether this is a typically British motive, like in British folk music. But it is possible that I watched too many Robin Hood films, either :wink:

htcnext2 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:23 am
ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:15 pm

I see, so this was made for a commercial production. The song has a nearly medieval atmosphere. I wonder whether this is a typically British motive, like in British folk music. But it is possible that I watched too many Robin Hood films, either :wink:
Not written for a specific project this one, but this short version will be uploaded (if accepted) to a publisher's online library ASAP, I think...I actually just wrote it for fun! :)

Yes, there is a hint of medieval music here, you're spot on...

In short - it has a lot of parallel movement in perfect 4ths (mixed in with other approaches that slightly dilute the effect)...

Singing in parallel fourths, fifths, and octaves was very typical of certain medieval music styles.

Return to “Music Cafe”