Using Bitwig as a traditional linear DAW for multitrack recording?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious, does anyone use Bitwig for this purpose- full on mixing and mastering a la ProTools?
I'm having a Studio One melt down with its GUI and complexity and every time I head back to Bitwig my heart rate slows down and I can breathe again.
What I really want for this traditional role is UAD Luna but that's never going to happen :)

So is Bitwig ready for large track count linear thing...
Thanks

pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am...I'm having a Studio One melt down with its GUI and complexity...
What's the problem here?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am I'm curious, does anyone use Bitwig for this purpose- full on mixing and mastering a la ProTools?
I'm having a Studio One melt down with its GUI and complexity and every time I head back to Bitwig my heart rate slows down and I can breathe again.
What I really want for this traditional role is UAD Luna but that's never going to happen :)

Thanks
I don't think so. You would be better served with Reaper and Bitwig, possibly linked via Blue Cat's Connector.
(writing as someone who had Bitwig and S1 and liked them but recently sold both to just work in Reaper)

antic604 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:57 am
pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am...I'm having a Studio One melt down with its GUI and complexity...
What's the problem here?
Ah it's the visual complexity thing- my cortex melts. This is completely personal but it does matter to me.

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:02 am
pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am I'm curious, does anyone use Bitwig for this purpose- full on mixing and mastering a la ProTools?

Thanks
I don't think so. You would be better served with Reaper and Bitwig, possibly linked via Blue Cat's Connector.
(writing as someone who had Bitwig and S1 and liked them but recently sold both to just work in Reaper)
Blue Cat Connector- looking now. So I could have Bitwig for music making and S1 for mixing/mastering?

pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 am

Thanks
Blue Cat Connector- looking now. So I could have Bitwig for music making and S1 for mixing/mastering?
Be a very nice combination. Demo first of course, let us know how it goes

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:35 am
pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:15 am

Thanks
Be a very nice combination. Demo first of course, let us know how it goes
How would it help, though? Connector is just a virtual cable that sends MIDI and/or audio between 2 DAWs (or other apps that host plugins) locally or via network. He'd still have to record in S1, which is what he's trying to avoid if I understand correctly.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Compose midi in Bitwig, use S1 for audio. Makes sense to me.

fairlyclose wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 pm Compose midi in Bitwig, use S1 for audio. Makes sense to me.
If he is finding S1 too complex, then S1 + Bitwig is even more complex.

pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am So is Bitwig ready for large track count linear thing...
Thanks
Depends on what you mean by ready and what your expectations are.

It's not that I'm finding it too complex, just a mess.

I'm thinking I could just as easily export audio from Bitwig as send over on the Blue Cat app.

But I need to think what it is I really want..(before I post..I know :D )
I think partly it's to have a very streamlined audio only DAW that allows VST plugins and has a super minimal interface to do mix and master duties only. I used to use DP for this (and everything in fact) before it turned in to the horror crash-fest that was DP10.

So I went all in with S1 but man do I hate that interface!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:56 pm
pinki wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am So is Bitwig ready for large track count linear thing...
Thanks
Depends on what you mean by ready and what your expectations are.
40 audio tracks easily imported, great automation, lots of plugins. Guess I should just try

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:55 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 pm Compose midi in Bitwig, use S1 for audio. Makes sense to me.
If he is finding S1 too complex, then S1 + Bitwig is even more complex.
Not necessarily, depends on how the work is split up.

It depends on what you wanna do with Bitwig.

I am a Day 1 User, and i still have to admit, that editing drums is a pain in the butt in Bitwig, and that ´s not because it can´t be done, but not beeing able to choose Onsets, so basically Transient detection, based on 8th note or similar will slow down things.

I did record 2 full-length Album, in a traditional linear way, and it worked out great, over the last 2 years.
I use Bitwig on Linux, which results in some extra steps to get stuff done, like running Melodyne on WINE, but hey it works and the system is super reliable.

Beerhunter wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:08 pm I did record 2 full-length Album, in a traditional linear way, and it worked out great, over the last 2 years.
... but hey it works and the system is super reliable.
Interesting. Thanks for that.

Return to “Bitwig”