Bitwig 4.3 announced 'space and tone' - a new reverb and delay...

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh cool. I'm not mad. Delay+ looks like a lot of fun. Def will be using it.

I didn't install my old convolution plugin in my new system yet and now I don't have to. Convolution device is welcome.

I see there's a bunch of little updates and improvements/fixes all over the place. Hmm , have to check out that comments deal. That could be useful, maybe.

This sounds nice "Substantial memory optimizations for projects with a large number of tracks and/or scenes"

FX Tracks Sends <-- Nice.

Nice little update. Honestly I forgot about the updates because I've been so busy having fun in Bitwig everyday so I wasn't expecting 4.3.

lol "MIDI comping" I can't help it, it always makes me laugh.
-JH

Midi comping is very useful if you want to capture expressive live performances (I use MPE) and get something you don't need to quantise are requires little editing…it’s baked into my workflow with other DAWS, I work the same way with guitar or midi keys…lots of looped takes spliced together to try and capture feel and minimise editing.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

JHernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:08 am lol "MIDI comping" I can't help it, it always makes me laugh.
Totally hilarious right. What were developers for similar DAWs like Ableton Live, Tracktion, Studio One, Cubase, and Reaper to name a few thinking when they added not only audio but also MIDI comping?
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

SLiC wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:29 am Midi comping is very useful if you want to capture expressive live performances (I use MPE) and get something you don't need to quantise are requires little editing…it’s baked into my workflow with other DAWS, I work the same way with guitar or midi keys…lots of looped takes spliced together to try and capture feel and minimise editing.
Cant you just record a longer take doing several repetitions an then pick the one you like the most?

brunomolteni wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:13 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:29 am Midi comping is very useful if you want to capture expressive live performances (I use MPE) and get something you don't need to quantise are requires little editing…it’s baked into my workflow with other DAWS, I work the same way with guitar or midi keys…lots of looped takes spliced together to try and capture feel and minimise editing.
Cant you just record a longer take doing several repetitions an then pick the one you like the most?
For me I am generally playing against other tracks I have already laid down (live drums, guitar etc) so its much easier in a loop (or clip). There are obviously work arounds and it is certainly a first world problem, its just off that very other DAW comps midi and I didn't think it was a difficult thing to add (but maybe it is the way Bigwig works)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:42 pm
brunomolteni wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:13 pm
For me I am generally playing against other tracks I have already laid down (live drums, guitar etc) so its much easier in a loop (or clip). There are obviously work arounds and it is certainly a first world problem, its just off that very other DAW comps midi and I didn't think it was a difficult thing to add (but maybe it is the way Bigwig works)
Yeah, I look forward to Midi Comping too. The best way currently is to use the Post Recording Action option and Record Into Next Free Slot and set to the clip length you want.

Oh that does sound a lot more powerful, can it be made multitap or is it only single?

Under the hood they do add Clap plug-in support. Clap is a plug-in API i.e. VST3 without VST3.
Upcoming Surge XT 1.1 will support Clap as well and that means Surge XT will be abel to use per-voice modulators.
You can try it already today with the Surge XT nightly.

Only thing I really miss is a MSEG modulator.

JHernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:08 amlol "MIDI comping" I can't help it, it always makes me laugh.
Unusual side-effect. Did you try to add a Limiter (Please) to that? :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

summer2000 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:41 am
JHernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:08 am lol "MIDI comping" I can't help it, it always makes me laugh.
Totally hilarious right. What were developers for similar DAWs like Ableton Live, Tracktion, Studio One, Cubase, and Reaper to name a few thinking when they added not only audio but also MIDI comping?

Woah now. Nothing personal. I'm not laughing at you in case you thought I was. Also the popularly of something doesn't automatically make it a good idea. These things are subjective.

The first time I heard the term was here on this forum actually and for the next few days I would just giggle about it randomly when I thought about it. My non-DAW using friends would ask what I was laughing to myself about and they just didn't get it which would make me laugh more while trying to explain it.

It's just that in my decades of doing this I've not yet thought "darn, if only I had MIDI comp". I just think it's silly and that's my subjective opinion. I hope you all get you "MIDI comp" in the end.

"MIDI comp" :lol:

I have to disagree that those DAWs are similar to Bitwig though but whatever.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:01 pm I have to disagree that those DAWs are similar to Bitwig though but whatever.
Bitwig is similar to Ableton Live for obvious reasons.

Bitwig needs midi comping more than any other daw IMHO, I use VCV rack and to a lesser extent the grid for sequencing a lot, with often elements of randomness involved, and I'd like to be able to edit down the midi a bit more easily as well as splicing together multiple takes. It's a pain in the ass to do this on a long midi file as things stand. It's something that goes hand in hand with note grid.

JHernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:08 am FX Tracks Sends <-- Nice.
I'm wondering if this change will allow the FX tracks, which are conveniently placed near Master, to actually be used as Group Channels before Master.

In Cubase I have a pretty consistent grouping setup, 5-6 channel groups, some with a parallel channel, that then go into a Pre Master bus, with a parallel channel, then finally into Master.

Bitwig, for me, has it's grouping the other way, from tracks upwards, but for mixing, I really do want a structured set of 'stem' groups to mix into. I hope this can allow that some how.

_leras wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 pm
I'm wondering if this change will allow the FX tracks, which are conveniently placed near Master, to actually be used as Group Channels before Master.

In Cubase I have a pretty consistent grouping setup, 5-6 channel groups, some with a parallel channel, that then go into a Pre Master bus, with a parallel channel, then finally into Master.

Bitwig, for me, has it's grouping the other way, from tracks upwards, but for mixing, I really do want a structured set of 'stem' groups to mix into. I hope this can allow that some how.
I have a similar template in Nuendo and Cubase. I've never been able to set something like that in Bitwig. I guess Bitwig was never designed to handle that kind of group routing.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

summer2000 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 pm
_leras wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 pm

I have a similar template in Nuendo and Cubase. I've never been able to set something like that in Bitwig. I guess Bitwig was never designed to handle that kind of group routing.
I don't exactly what you try to achieve, but maybe you can use sends and route the output of some send tracks to another send track (via track output routing) which then serves as a "group mix bus" for those send tracks.

Return to “Bitwig”