Studio One 6

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:49 am I see toolbox has been updated for V6…anyone using it?
https://kulturesounds.com/
https://youtu.be/vsFQ9f4or_8

"...get Toolbox Reloaded for free on the PreSonus Store on October 14th."
(at 3:43 in the video.)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:57 am
SLiC wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:49 am I see toolbox has been updated for V6…anyone using it?
https://kulturesounds.com/
https://youtu.be/vsFQ9f4or_8

"...get Toolbox Reloaded for free on the PreSonus Store on October 14th."
I assumed that means 'Reloaded' is a free update if you already own it (free update?) as its nearly £90 to buy...I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the original versions which has been out a while and you can buy now, I had not come across it.

https://shop.presonus.com/Kulture-Sounds-Toolbox
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Yeah, their wording is confusing. You may be right, but they didn't say "then upgrade to Toolbox Reloaded for free on October 24th."
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Fornicras wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:32 am Is there a way to make the title bar beautiful or better?
I am talking about this ugly white section:

https://i.imgur.com/atTAVIl.png

It looks ugly and out of place, now that V6 did a facelift I hoped that they fixed this but no.

FL Studio and Adobe handle this beautifully for instance.

I know Shift + F hides that section but then you lose all of the additional menus, and also when you Shift + F, S1 does not allow any other software to be on top (Splice for example) and it's unusable that way.
use full screen mode or Mac, problem solved :)

sergenas wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:09 pm Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 14.10.31.png

As a long time user of PT and Cubase/Nuendo, I was really interested in Studio One which seems smarter and faster on a lot of things.

But after every mix, I found that things were off, uptight, sometimes phasey. When I redo the same mixes with the same plugins and settings in PT or Nuendo they are ok.
This happened with V5.5 and now with V6.

I opened several tickets for this issue and others (like memory leak when bouncing a lot of tracks; user data location reset to default, DPC taking into account disabled plugins etc …), which basically sump ups to : the issue is related to the plugins you use ! Ok, but in my last issue it was a Fabfilter Plugin. Which leads to this reply : use Pro-Q3 in zero latency mode !
Seriously, I found some issues with plugins from Fabfilter, Softube, Soothe plugins etc …

Those PDC issues lead to out of sync track and buses, sometimes for a few samples, sometimes for milliseconds, sometimes for a lot more.

A lot of the issues seems to be related to the use of sidechain, especially with buses.

This issue happens with playback, rendered track and stem export. In my experience the DPC issue will vary between this modes, and will get worst with buses.

That is why I decided to do a test mix using the public stems of a well known artist (that were freely downloadable for a remix contest) and create a simple test project with 32 tracks and some buses, using only very very common plugins (FabFilter, UAD, Softube, waves, soothe ….) that have no issues on PT or Cubase/Nuendo.

If you want a quick idea of this issue, look at the attached screenshots : they all show the same transient put on all source tracks at 2.1.1.0, that are exported and reimported. A lot of tracks are off, a few are a lot out of sync.

I don’t trust Studio One any more, despite the fact it is a great Daw, but totally unreliable about PDC, which means the larger/more complex project you mix, the more mess you will get.

I am providing the sources of the mix, and all the files so that Studio One users can check this.

This is a quick example of the issue, and on real and larger mixes it gets far worst !

Hoping this issue will be acknowledged and solved !

Any help and feedback on reproducing this issues will be helpfull, so that it is finally fixed !

I attached an example screenshot and the studio one project (V6). Just fill the audio track with anything.

Here is the link to the Studio One 6 project (1,3MB) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/14q-vAE ... sp=sharing

Or for those who want to download the file with all the audio tracks, rendered file and export (7 GB) here is a google drive link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PDkVTS ... sp=sharing

The yellow files are the export of all the tracks and buses reimported in the project after export.
The white ones are some duplicates that are rendered.

(By the way, this is not a real mix, just a show of of the issues)

I am on a M1 Max, Apollo X, everything up to date.
I found a reply to this post (which has been posted/copy-pasted on other forums) in the presonus forums s16 thread;
I used your song file to do some testing. I duplicated a kick track 30 times and put it in different folders in your session using original routing and plugins (I have most of the ones you used except for UAD). Rendered all tracks. They came out perfectly aligned, no phase issues, no timing differences.
So it might be an i9 or a Mac issue primarily, as there was some talk of that in the thread also.

darkinners wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:59 pm
Fornicras wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:32 am Is there a way to make the title bar beautiful or better?

It looks ugly and out of place, now that V6 did a facelift I hoped that they fixed this but no.

I know Shift + F hides that section but then you lose all of the additional menus, and also when you Shift + F, S1 does not allow any other software to be on top (Splice for example) and it's unusable that way.
Full-screen mode makes you lose the menus on top and also does not allow any other software to be on top. As I said in the post.

And I also have a monster PC, so switching to Mac is not an option.

It's just surprising that no developer, or not even a user is in discomfort because of that ugly bar.

You just learn to live with it I guess. My other DAWS have fill screen mode (hit F11) but to be honest I never use it...I have a big monitor so real estate isn't particularly and issue
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Fornicras wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:07 am
darkinners wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:59 pm

Full-screen mode makes you lose the menus on top and also does not allow any other software to be on top. As I said in the post.

And I also have a monster PC, so switching to Mac is not an option.

It's just surprising that no developer, or not even a user is in discomfort because of that ugly bar.
It bothers me a lot. So much, that I do not use S1 on my overpowered PC, and only use in on M1 Mac.

Cubase nailed it, in windows. All menus are in the top bar.

I find the automation lines very difficult for my eyes sight, I only have tested S1 5.5 can’t comment if S1 6 is better graphics with automation lines.

Actually every DAW I have tried have the same issue with my eye sight with automation lines. Only Reason 12 automation is easy for my eyes sight (and FL Studio but it is totally different workflow).

Is S1 v6 more stable than S1 v5.5?

I've had more total crashes this year with S1 than all previous years put together, mostly when I try to do too many clever things at once.

Crashing has led to maybe three tracks being abandoned this year because they won't even load.

I use i9-10940X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz 128gb ram plus SSDs.

Anyone think S1 v6 is more stable?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:44 am Is S1 v6 more stable than S1 v5.5?

I've had more total crashes this year with S1 than all previous years put together, mostly when I try to do too many clever things at once.

Crashing has led to maybe three tracks being abandoned this year because they won't even load.

I am having issues with i9 12 Gen (massive CPU load on Presonus instruments other than Mojito) I sometimes wonder if they tested it with i9s!

Fornicras wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:07 am And I also have a monster PC, so switching to Mac is not an option.
Living in fear of your PC is never a good thing. :wink:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Love Toolbox - but Reloaded does not drop until Oct 14.

Cheers

VP

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:02 pm

I am having issues with i9 12 Gen (massive CPU load on Presonus instruments other than Mojito) I sometimes wonder if they tested it with i9s!
And today I dragged in a multi-instrument and had a hard freeze when OI tried to revie it- repeatable bug for me, had to CTL/ALT/DEL out...not good and not sure if related to my other issues (i.e. i9 12 GEN related)..either way, love the new features but not stable for me.

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:05 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:02 pm

And today I dragged in a multi-instrument and had a hard freeze when OI tried to revie it- repeatable bug for me, had to CTL/ALT/DEL out...not good and not sure if related to my other issues (i.e. i9 12 GEN related)..either way, love the new features but not stable for me.
You really need to hunt the problem till you reach to its core! You might start by disable the VST path and start only with S1 instruments and effects first. It might not hardware problem or CPU related as you think. Audio driver test might be next. Have you reported this to their support?

As for me, I have no problem in stability with both my PC(Ryzen 5800X) and mini Mac M1. I have tested the multi instrument dragging and dropping both Presonus instruments and 3rd party synths (Dune 3 and Vital). I played with them, recorded ..etc but no problem at all.

However, I have strange problem (new to my PC!). I tested recording to/from my external synths and when I bounce the midi clip to audio, I heard crackles! I tried both synths and the crackles is there obvious in the audio tracks. I have tried many things, but the crackles still there. So, I tested the same in Live 11 and the crackles still there (random every time I bounce or record to audio).

I booted to my mini Mac and tried with S1v6, the same setup as I have a switch adapter that direct all my USB devices to my mini Mac/PC. I recorded and bounced to audio, and it was clear. No any crackles or artificial sound. So, I returned to my PC trying to know what the problem is!

After trying many things with no success, I played with buffer size (all this time it was 64 @44.1khz in both computers), so I increased it to 128 and the crackles were less, then I increased it to 256 and the crackles disappeared!! In both S1v6 and Live 11!! Not ideal, but at least functional.

It was really the best thing I did is to buy this Mini Mac for music production! PC is great but for work (not music related) and gaming. It is also good for music but it need to be careful what you install and must deal with various factors. It might be my audio interface driver of course (in mini Mac I haven't installed anything! while in Windows it has the latest drivers). My audio interface is Tascam US 4x4 HR (for reference).

For me, it is ok now. I have a stable PC and Mac, so wherever I'm, I can use S1v6 or Live 11 to make some music.

Update:
Today I tested again my Windows PC with 64 buffer and 48khz in Cubase, Live and S1. I didn't have any problem recording from my external synths!!
It might be due to some updates I did to my motherboard tools and Windows update as well.
Last edited by EnGee on Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”