I WANT to love it...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vital. Looks great, easy to use, powerful, some amazing sounds available. But it always sounds a bit brittle and harsh to me.

MJACau wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:35 pm
If you're working in your bigass program (DAW, video, graphics, etc.) you really shouldn't have 20 other distractions open at the same time.
shouldn't?!
You think like an engineer not like and artist, art is messy.
Actually, art is hyperfocused. The mess just happens.

You certainly don't want your Hotmail annoying you and Yahoo Messenger annoying you and your MySpace site open, taking your attention, do you?
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I guess it's more "the shouldn't" statement I'm commenting on than the "why not" it says more someone else's philosophical mind set, where they think there is only one approach to a problem, and their 'focus' is too much on the periphery. Eg. system Ram.
Than thinking what they are setting out to make or achieve.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

MJACau wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:39 pm
I guess it's more "the shouldn't" statement I'm commenting on than the "why not" it says more someone else's philosophical mind set, where they think there is only one approach to a problem, and their 'focus' is too much on the periphery. Eg. system Ram.
Than thinking what they are setting out to make or achieve.
I never said the jack-booted Art Police thugs would kick down their door if they did... :lol:

I get my whole vibe thrown if I get so much as a crackle from my DAW. I used to freeze early and often. Now, I really only need to worry about other programs being open while working. Just OS housekeeping can randomly kick in and hog resources. So, I shut everything down except the DAW.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Korg Wavestation.

I don’t understand why people like it. I’d love to know it’s secret that has made it a legend.

I have read the manual and spent hours with it, but I can never get lush pads or smooth sounds that are not metallic or cleanly sounding. What am I missing?

I get my whole vibe thrown if I get so much as a crackle from my DAW. I used to freeze early and often. Now, I really only need to worry about other programs being open while working. Just OS housekeeping can randomly kick in and hog resources. So, I shut everything down except the DAW.
I don't have that issue, maybe you need more ram. Just a thought. :wink:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
~A.Rand

MJACau wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:00 am
The way I work, I just sip the RAM. It's the COU I'm after--better start runnin', Intel processor! :tantrum:

Edit: considering what I used to do with an 800Mhz G4 on a 133Mhz bus with 512k RAM on a 1024x768 screen, I really shouldn't be complaing about anything.

I know people gush and sing the praises of Walfdorf Streichfett, but it's too grainy for me. I guess that's how it's supposed to be? I'd also demo'd Loomer's String synth and threw that back in the water as well because it wasn't smooth like silk.

Maybe I'm missing the point.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Well, when you have produced long enough,almost 20 years in my case, you really start to pay attention on certain things. Like how important the GUI and usability is. Sound vs cpu usage. How buggy the software is, can you trust it to be your workhorse and so on. Synth need to be really stable, GUI clean and straight forward. Unnecessary clicks are annoying. Sound need to be good and same time cpu usage moderate.

Here is my long list.

- Serum. It sounds digital, harsh and the filters are really bad. It is also cpu heavy. Developer is super nice tho.

- KV331 synths. They sounds nice, but damn man, they are so buggy. Crash there and crash here. They "fix" one bug, there are three new bugs. Unusable.

- Avenger. Sounds nice, lovely features, but the GUI is trash and too complex. Shady CP and it is also buggy. It goes "Pop" and have these clickbursts now and then. Especially on FL Studio. Better have limiter on master track with this synth, those clickbursts can be really loud. Serious change to damage your ears.

- Massive X. Damn man, one of the best sounding synth, but the GUI is just utterly garbage. Spaceship level no sense.

- Viper. Best sounding vst we have, imo. Too bad the GUI is also garbage with millions of tabs and unncessary clicks. It's so annoying.

- Synapse Audio synths. I would want to love these, but for me, the sound is just, well, not inspiring at all. Sounds "wrong" to me. I just cannot explain it. Mix of "regular software synth sound" and plastic or something. Not for me.

- Tone2 synths, they all sounds same. Digital and plastic.

- Rop Papen synths, they all also sounds pretty much same and the GUI's are very outdated. They really need to hire a new GUI designer.

- Arturia synths. Their "TAE" modeling sounds nothing like analog. Also their GUI's are slow and laggy. I find all their synths "heavy", even when you move the window around. Can be really CPU heavy too. In general, nothing special on these synths.

- Phase Plant. It is complex and can really do a lot of things, but the GUI is just so bad. Is it the colors?

There are probably many more synths, these just came on my mind now. These synths are not for me, if you like it, use it. Simple as that. This is just my personal list, don't get offended. Peace.

syntonica wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:16 am
MJACau wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:00 am
The way I work, I just sip the RAM. It's the COU I'm after--better start runnin', Intel processor! :tantrum:

Edit: considering what I used to do with an 800Mhz G4 on a 133Mhz bus with 512k RAM on a 1024x768 screen, I really shouldn't be complaing about anything.
Yeah, and sometimes it feels like .... 20 years ago. But yeah.

keel wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am - Synapse Audio synths. I would want to love these, but for me, the sound is just, well, not inspiring at all. Sounds "wrong" to me. I just cannot explain it. Mix of "regular software synth sound" and plastic or something. Not for me.
If it helps you, I feel exactly the same. Don't get the hype.

Dune 3 definitely falls into the "I want to love it" area though. I like the architecture, I like the GUI, just the sound isn't for me. Nice company though, and great dev.

keel wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am Well, when you have produced long enough,almost 20 years in my case, you really start to pay attention on certain things. Like how important the GUI and usability is. Sound vs cpu usage. How buggy the software is, can you trust it to be your workhorse and so on. Synth need to be really stable, GUI clean and straight forward. Unnecessary clicks are annoying. Sound need to be good and same time cpu usage moderate.

Here is my long list.

- Serum. It sounds digital, harsh and the filters are really bad. It is also cpu heavy. Developer is super nice tho.

- KV331 synths. They sounds nice, but damn man, they are so buggy. Crash there and crash here. They "fix" one bug, there are three new bugs. Unusable.

- Avenger. Sounds nice, lovely features, but the GUI is trash and too complex. Shady CP and it is also buggy. It goes "Pop" and have these clickbursts now and then. Especially on FL Studio. Better have limiter on master track with this synth, those clickbursts can be really loud. Serious change to damage your ears.

- Massive X. Damn man, one of the best sounding synth, but the GUI is just utterly garbage. Spaceship level no sense.

- Viper. Best sounding vst we have, imo. Too bad the GUI is also garbage with millions of tabs and unncessary clicks. It's so annoying.

- Synapse Audio synths. I would want to love these, but for me, the sound is just, well, not inspiring at all. Sounds "wrong" to me. I just cannot explain it. Mix of "regular software synth sound" and plastic or something. Not for me.

- Rop Papen synths, they all also sounds pretty much same and the GUI's are very outdated. They really need to hire a new GUI designer.

- Arturia synths. Their "TAE" modeling sounds nothing like analog. Also their GUI's are slow and laggy. I find all their synths "heavy", even when you move the window around. Can be really CPU heavy too. In general, nothing special on these synths.

- Phase Plant. It is complex and can really do a lot of things, but the GUI is just so bad. Is it the colors?

There are probably many more synths, these just came on my mind now. These synths are not for me, if you like it, use it. Simple as that. This is just my personal list, don't get offended. Peace.
I am curious, what synths do you love?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Lol right :lol:

you picked dope ass synths
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

keel wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am - Serum. It sounds digital, harsh and the filters are really bad. It is also cpu heavy. Developer is super nice tho.
I agree with this. It really surprises me how in love with Serum people seem to be when soundwise it would fit right in with the vsts that were coming out when stuff like Vanguard and Albino were considered top of the line (I know, I was using those synths back then!). I can't help but think it sounds totally lifeless next to something like Spire or Diva. Maybe Serum 2 will change that? Here's hoping! :party:

martiu wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:34 pm
keel wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am Well, when you have produced long enough,almost 20 years in my case, you really start to pay attention on certain things. Like how important the GUI and usability is. Sound vs cpu usage. How buggy the software is, can you trust it to be your workhorse and so on. Synth need to be really stable, GUI clean and straight forward. Unnecessary clicks are annoying. Sound need to be good and same time cpu usage moderate.

Here is my long list.

I am curious, what synths do you love?
I'm also curious which since you like. Since you didn't mention them, I'm guessing Massive? FM8? The ones in FL like Harmor and Sytrus? The Korg stuff? Roland stuff?
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Instruments”