Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.65 Released: Oversampling, Custom Colors & More!

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
PatchWork

Blue Cat's PatchWork 2.65 is here, check it out!

If you do not already own PatchWork, don't miss the re-introduction offer!

What's New:
- Plug-ins oversampling: it is now possible to oversample processing for every plug-in (up to 16x).
- Custom Colors: Each individual plug-in instance can now be assigned a custom color.
- Updated 120 factory presets and all built-in plug-ins with custom colors.
- PatchWork can now use its own parameters in macros, mixed together with loaded plug-ins parameters.
- Graphical user interface refresh performance improvements, especially on Mac.
- Improved resampling when the application starts streaming audio as a network server with Blue Cat's Connector.
- Fixed custom tone maps presets not properly saved for some built-in plug-ins (Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Sweep Filter, Wave Shaper, Freq Shifter, Wah, EQ).
- Fixed stuck notes with some VST3 instruments.
- Fixed some VST3 instruments not producing any sound (like Toontrack instruments).
- Ableton Live 11: Fixed PatchWork VST3 MIDI input not detected and PatchWork Synth VST3 not loading.

Enjoy!

[original announcement]

Thank you, thats great!

Oversampling! The hotness.

Curious if there a specific reason for 40 parameter limit? Or is it possible to automate hosted vsts within the daw without configuration?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://instagram.com/kirkwoodwest/
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest

Kirkwood West wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:03 am Curious if there a specific reason for 40 parameter limit? Or is it possible to automate hosted vsts within the daw without configuration?
Well, usability and performance I guess. 40 is already a lot, isn't it? And if you need to automate several parameters at the same time you can also use macros, which are even more convenient. That's the only way to automate VSTs hosted inside Patchwork. You can use MIDI as an alternative (if the plug-ins support MIDI control).

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:24 am
Kirkwood West wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:03 am Curious if there a specific reason for 40 parameter limit? Or is it possible to automate hosted vsts within the daw without configuration?
Well, usability and performance I guess. 40 is already a lot, isn't it? And if you need to automate several parameters at the same time you can also use macros, which are even more convenient. That's the only way to automate VSTs hosted inside Patchwork. You can use MIDI as an alternative (if the plug-ins support MIDI control).
For me it is more usable when I can map more than 128 parameters in a plugin… lots of synths have a lot of parameters. Probably rare case and that it’s just me.

Usually exposing the plugin parameters have little to do with automation but more with mapping controls to a surface like touch osc to control remotely. I use bitwig and really like everything to be set up in a way that the parameters are exposed to the daw when I need them. It’s all good though… this plugin looks top like all the blue cats VST and it’s very nice to have the oversampling here

Kirkwood West wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:42 pm Usually exposing the plugin parameters have little to do with automation but more with mapping controls to a surface like touch osc to control remotely. I use bitwig and really like everything to be set up in a way that the parameters are exposed to the daw when I need them. It’s all good though… this plugin looks top like all the blue cats VST and it’s very nice to have the oversampling here
Don't your synth plug-ins have MIDI control capabilities? Mapping so many parameters everytime sounds like a daunting task!

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:14 am Mapping so many parameters everytime sounds like a daunting task!
that is true... it my lifes work :hihi:

Hi,
I'm using Blue Cat Patchwork a lot as a multi effect plugin with a midi controller, controlling many parameters of several plugins inside it.
It would be great when editing a parameter of a plugin that it automatically opens its window as an option.

I am currently testing out hosting hundreds of different VSTs (one at a time ofc) in Patchwork, and I am finding a few VSTs cause crashes/bugs under certain circumstances.

I would be happy to compile and share my results if it would be helpful to the Blue Cat Audio team. If so, where would it be best to share it? Via a support email, or here on the forums? Also what information would be helpful to include? Here's some I thought of:

• Patchwork version (either 2.65 or preview 2.66, or both)
• Patchwork extension (64-bit win standalone, or 64-bit win VST3)
• OS (Windows 11, 64-bit, latest update) build #?
• PC components (CPU, RAM, etc)
• Host (I usually test in the standalone Patchwork app, but if needed I can also test in Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live 11 Suite, Vegas Pro, Soundforge, maybe a couple others -- please note that everything is 64-bit)
• (When using Patchwork as a VST): Blue Cat's Patchwork or Blue Cat's Patchwork Synth? Both?
• 3rd party VST extension (dll or vst3)
• 3rd party VST version #
• What was happening when the crash/bug occured
• Consistency of crashes/bugs (random, or can recreate consistently?)
• Crash type (lock up w/ "not responding..." or hard crash to desktop?)
• 3rd party VSTs that DON'T cause crashes

Anything here unnecessary? Anything I'm missing that would be helpful?

monzelio wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:06 am Hi,
I'm using Blue Cat Patchwork a lot as a multi effect plugin with a midi controller, controlling many parameters of several plugins inside it.
It would be great when editing a parameter of a plugin that it automatically opens its window as an option.
Do you mean that every time you touch a knob it would open the GUIs of all related plug-ins? (one knob can be assigned to multiple parameters of multiple plug-ins)

JTBrownell1998 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:40 pm I am currently testing out hosting hundreds of different VSTs (one at a time ofc) in Patchwork, and I am finding a few VSTs cause crashes/bugs under certain circumstances.

I would be happy to compile and share my results if it would be helpful to the Blue Cat Audio team. If so, where would it be best to share it? Via a support email, or here on the forums? Also what information would be helpful to include? Here's some I thought of:

• Patchwork version (either 2.65 or preview 2.66, or both)
• Patchwork extension (64-bit win standalone, or 64-bit win VST3)
• OS (Windows 11, 64-bit, latest update) build #?
• PC components (CPU, RAM, etc)
• Host (I usually test in the standalone Patchwork app, but if needed I can also test in Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live 11 Suite, Vegas Pro, Soundforge, maybe a couple others -- please note that everything is 64-bit)
• (When using Patchwork as a VST): Blue Cat's Patchwork or Blue Cat's Patchwork Synth? Both?
• 3rd party VST extension (dll or vst3)
• 3rd party VST version #
• What was happening when the crash/bug occured
• Consistency of crashes/bugs (random, or can recreate consistently?)
• Crash type (lock up w/ "not responding..." or hard crash to desktop?)
• 3rd party VSTs that DON'T cause crashes

Anything here unnecessary? Anything I'm missing that would be helpful?
Some plug-ins may indeed have compatibility issues, and most of the time there is unfortunately not much we can do about it, as the crashes happen inside the plug-ins and can be caused by multiple things (most of the time the plug-in does not expect to be called with a particular sequence of events, which can result from the combination of the main host and PatchWork's own behavior).

You can report your findings thru a support ticket, but it would also be VERY helpful if it can be reported to the plug-ins manufacturers, as they are usually the only ones that can provide useful information or actually fix the issues.

Hardware information is not very useful in general (except if it is running on a Mac or Windows, and as a 32/64-bit process or Apple Silicon). The main things that are required are the OS / platform, host application, PatchWork plug-in format (or standalone app) and also the type of plug-in loaded, plus the versions of course. Sometimes a plug-in will work better in a plug-in format or another, so it is also useful to know which ones work or do not work.

A new preview of PatchWork is available, check it out!

Hello,

I'm quite new to PatchWork, and I didn't see all Videos available on the Youtube Channel, so You can answer me RTFM, but at this time I miss some options in the Synth Version :

Is it possible to transpose notes for Synths in the Patchwork ?
Is there any solution to filter notes, if I want a Synth to play C1-B2 and another Synth to play C3-B5 for example ?
And why not a synth for notes with velocities under 64, and another for velocities beyond 64 ?

To make it clear Patchwork Synth would be much more powerful with "midi event management" for each inserted Synth, like Bitwig allows You with "Instrument Layer" and "Note FX".

Thanks.
Best Regards,
Opooly.

PS: J'espère avoir été clair, mais je me dis que cela améliorerait grandement la Version Synth, s'il était possible de gérer en amont les notes qui rentrent dans les Synthés insérés dans les cellules. (Sorry for non french speakers)

PatchWork does not have built-in MIDI transposition/filtering tools (yet), but you can use third party plug-ins to do that and route MIDI from one plug-in to another using the virtual MIDI ports (there are a couple of examples in the manual).

You can find for example a couple of useful free MIDI tools such as the piz MIDI plug-ins. But There are many more (free or paid).

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:59 am A new preview of PatchWork is available, check it out!

Installed 2.66 preview. All my Ableton Live projects containing PatchWork just crash when open. If i revert back to 2.65 everything works again.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”