Ableton Push 3 - standalone MPE controller

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.ableton.com/en/push/

Ableton just released a new version of Push. With MPE. optional standalone.

Wow- MPE and built in audio interface...kinda predicted the MPE (as Live has been working so hard to add it in the software) but wasn't expecting the audio IO- Just PUSH 3 and a Laptop- Complete Studio! I wonder if they are doing the trade in offer for my PUSH2!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hang on a minute--- :-0

Standalone playability
Push invites you to disconnect and be fully in the moment with your music. Send your Live sets to Push to work without a computer, then back again.

There are 2 versions but you can upgrade the basic to standalone- Genius!

Push (standalone)
Use Push as a standalone instrument
64 expressive pads
Built-in audio interface
Intel 11th Gen Core™ i3-1115G4 processor with 8GB of RAM
Built-in lithium battery with up to 2.5 hours play time
Built-in 256GB SSD hard drive
Replace processor, battery and hard drive as technology improves
GBP 1669

Push
Connect Push to your computer
64 expressive pads
Built-in audio interface
Add a processor, battery and hard drive later using the Upgrade Kit ›
GBP 879
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Last edited by wvshpr on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The upgrade pack is clever as ,presumably, they can improve processors overtime. I would say this was the end for MPC's/Maschine but we don't know how well it works and that cost!
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

A self-contained box with audio interface and CV outs, that can load and run your Live projects..?

Even at that price, they'll sell a fair few of those, I reckon.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:34 am A self-contained box with audio interface and CV outs, that can load and run your Live projects..?

I do agree, but my note of caution is that they said similar things about a standalone maschine, and it didn't really fly off the shelves AFAIK

PS stimming reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJf-pXssdU
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:34 am A self-contained box with audio interface and CV outs, that can load and run your Live projects..?

Yup- not to mention all the parts (battery, processors, SSD) user upgradable...way to go Ableton (that how you do a stand alone version of your software NI!)

I honestly only use Live 'because' of the hardware like integration with PUSH 2 and all the great MAX and Sound packs stuff I have collected over the years- but this is next level...(MOSS needs to get busy with a Bitwig script :hihi: )

I cant believe its out now and they managed to develop it and have it available under the radar!!! I suspect Live 12 is just around the corner, who knows what that may bring...

ericj23 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:05 am

I do agree, but my note of caution is that they said similar things about a standalone maschine, and it didn't really fly off the shelves AFAIK
Probably because it was buggy, underpowered, only had a few instruments an fx that actually run on it it and didn't even run on battery so was not even portable!!! :borg:

This new Push runs everything- AAS stuff suite stuff, packs, even MAX4Live stuff- the full experience!

SLiC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:09 am
ericj23 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:05 am

Probably because it was buggy, underpowered, only had a few instruments an fx that actually run on it it and didn't even run on battery so was not even portable!!! :borg:

This new Push runs everything- AAS stuff suite stuff, packs, even MAX4Live stuff- the full experience!
The stimming review suggest's otherwise - much max for live doesn't work - he runs out of CPU and the editing of MPE is not there either. 2 hour battery life is also pretty pointless as far as I am concerned and the project naming FFS.

My take is just like the maschine + - not for me. Nice controller, but I just do not see the point of the standalone when connecting it to a DAW makes it more powerful and less problematic.

I think the popularity of Push3 may well lead to MPE being much more common (yay) and I am interested to see if it can integrate with bitwig

Every single instrument and FX and MAX4Live device that work in Live Suite work in PUSH 3 Standalone- its exactly the same software just limited by CPU Power (i3 included but you can put whatever processor you want in if you want more power). Interesting its running in Linux so I wonder if there will be a new Linux version of Live!

I am also not bothered about standalone (although it is a pretty useful hardware sampler you could move around the studio without needing it to be plugged in- 2 x TRS inputs for sampling or running hardware synths through with Lives effects...)

The processor, RAM, SSD etc are all upgradable and you can add them to the non standalone version at any time (so theoretical you can add an i9 if you really want!)

The IO looks really useful even on the basic model

There are two pre-amp equipped jack inputs, two main outputs, and two more assignable monitor/headphone outs. ADAT in and out ports, allowing expansion up-to 10 ins and 12 outs...+ 4 CV outs...midi etc

SLiC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:34 am The processor, RAM, SSD etc are all upgradable and you can add them to the non standalone version at any time (so theoretical you can add an i9 if you really want!)
Not really. The Push 3 is already getting hot with the i3. An i9 would melt the whole inside.

SLiC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:34 am Every single instrument and FX and MAX4Live device that work in Live Suite work in PUSH 3 Standalone- its exactly the same software just limited by CPU Power (i3 included but you can put whatever processor you want in if you want more power). Interesting its running in Linux so I wonder if there will be a new Linux version of Live!

I am also not bothered about standalone (although it is a pretty useful hardware sampler you could move around the studio without needing it to be plugged in- 2 x TRS inputs for sampling or running hardware synths through with Lives effects...)

The processor, RAM, SSD etc are all upgradable and you can add them to the non standalone version at any time (so theoretical you can add an i9 if you really want!)

The IO looks really useful even on the basic model

There are two pre-amp equipped jack inputs, two main outputs, and two more assignable monitor/headphone outs. ADAT in and out ports, allowing expansion up-to 10 ins and 12 outs...+ 4 CV outs...midi etc
I don't want to spoil the mood, I ordered the standalone version, but that sounds a bit too optimistic.

It looks like you can't update your own components, only those offered by Ableton. The Intel NUC used cannot operate an I9. But that's all in the FAQ.

https://ableton.com/en/push/upgrading-p ... 3049344bff

"The Intel® NUC Compute Element combines a processor, RAM memory and WiFi. It’s the first Intel® processor to be adapted for Push, with upgrade to a more powerful version possible in the future."

Can I use components that aren’t included in the Upgrade Kit?
No. Using parts that aren’t from Ableton could be hazardous, and will void your warranty. You need to have all four standalone components either installed or removed for your Push to work. Don’t turn your Push on if you only have some of the parts installed, or if the backplate hasn’t been screwed on properly.

And M4L doesn't run fully either, or some devices don't run because they rely on libraries that don't run on the operating system (Linux) used by Push3.

Today was another great day, especially for Ableton fans.

SLiC wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:34 am Interesting its running in Linux so I wonder if there will be a new Linux version of Live!
Or MAX...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”