Charlatan³ Free VA synth updated to v3.1.2 (Win/Linux)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

Congrats. Cool project. I was trying now on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04(KDE Neon)) and Reaper. Using KDE plasma 6 on Wayland if that matters.

I'm reporting some stuff. I don't know if intentional or not. I might have to try on Windows to discard Linux-only issues.

- The mousewheel works for controls with numeric values written (e.g. osc ratio, phase), but it doesn't work on knobs and dropdown menus.
- Once a modulation has been established, it would be neat to be able to change the amount without opening the modulation screen dialog, e.g. by pressing a key modifier (and dragging the control or using the mouse or scroll wheel).
- To close the modulation dialog, many times I press the cross which actually removes the modulation. Others I press Esc and I close the whole plugin UI. This fights my muscle memory/established patterns. As it is opened by using the right mouse button, I had the expectation that right mouse button would probably also close it.
- The keyboard arrows or mousewheel don't work on the preset browser.

Nowadays I interact with VSTs by using a mouse with an undented mouse wheel (Logitech mx Master). It's a thousand times more ergonomic that dragging the mouse.
Last edited by rafa1981 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

karrikuh wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:00 am Charlatan³ 3.0.0 Final officially released! Thanks again for your feedback so far, enjoy!
Visit official website

3.0 final (2024-03-15)
  • Double the modulation processing rate (allows faster attack and smoother audio rate modulation)
  • Support adjustment of modulation depth via mouse wheel
  • Visualize filter balance modulation range
  • Replace "D" switch (Direct out) in Osc panel with "Route to Filter" switch
  • UI polishing
  • Added a few more factory presets
  • VST3: support Sustain pedal
  • VST3: handle MIDI All Notes Off message
  • BUGFIX: Crash when attempting to add a 5th modulation to a parameter
  • BUGFIX: Sustain pedal handling in Legato voice mode
  • BUGFIX: Drawing errors in Osc harmonics editor
  • BUGFIX: Reverb FX sound broken when modulating time out of range
Is this the version that now supports a way to scale up on Linux for high resolution monitors?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Grats to the final release. :tu:

Next OSC on KVR has a new candidate.

Cool congrats

So.. Can we now have a proper Charlatan 3 KVR page? I'm looking foward to all the preset packs :lol:

Here we are some updated presets, please, erase previous ones created with beta versions.
I've corrected some levels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Where do the factory presets need to be placed? The readme says APPDATA/Charlatan/presets, but Appdata usually has Local, LocalLow, Roaming directories next.

concealed identity wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:06 am Where do the factory presets need to be placed? The readme says APPDATA/Charlatan/presets, but Appdata usually has Local, LocalLow, Roaming directories next.
Well, the readme actually says

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\charlatan\presets
where %APPDATA% is a system variable which resolves to AppData/Roaming. You can literally paste the above path into the Windows Explorer address bar and it will get you to the correct location. Alternetively, you can click "Open file browser" in the dropdown menu at the bottom right of the preset browser.

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:46 pmIs this the version that now supports a way to scale up on Linux for high resolution monitors?
Unfortunately not. I started experimenting in this direction but it's still some way to go, also because I want to concentrate on other things first. It will certainly be mentioned explicitly in the release notes once it's there.

rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am - The mousewheel works for controls with numeric values written (e.g. osc ratio, phase), but it doesn't work on knobs and dropdown menus.
Thanks for the input. Yes mouse wheel support is currently limited, it mostly works for controls with discrete steps. I intend to improve on this in the future.
rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am - Once a modulation has been established, it would be neat to be able to change the amount without opening the modulation screen dialog, e.g. by pressing a key modifier (and dragging the control or using the mouse or scroll wheel).
I'm not totally sure what you mean. If you establish a new modulation via dnd, the window should popup automatically so you can directly start adjusting the mod depth. If you mean to re-adjust the depth at a later point, the yeah, you need to open the window again, however, I don't see any short cut here, because without the window, how would you decide which modulation to adjust in case of multiple sources connected to a given parameter?
rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am - To close the modulation dialog, many times I press the cross which actually removes the modulation. Others I press Esc and I close the whole plugin UI. This fights my muscle memory/established patterns. As it is opened by using the right mouse button, I had the expectation that right mouse button would probably also close it.
Yeah I realize that habits and workflows vary between users. For example, to me, the current way of working feels perfectly natural. I will think about improvement here. If it helps, the modulation window should be thought of more like a popup window (such as a context or dropdown menu known from other UIs) for which it is common to not feature a dedicated close button.
rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am - The keyboard arrows or mousewheel don't work on the preset browser.
Right now, there is no keyboard input support at all in the UI, bit I plan to add this at some point.

wikter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:54 pm Hi, just about the Mac version, Karrikuh, would it be a good idea to join Surge Team to get a bit of help in order to port the plug-in to other platforms?
There's a Discord chat group where some other open source developers already joined.
Maybe the licensing doesn't fits your project, but I think it could be a good point.
Anyway, this is an invitation to SurgeTeam's Discord:
https://discord.gg/npW8rA2Q
Maybe at some distant point in the future. The idea I'm toying with is to open source first the framework on which my plugins are based. This could be extended to support other platforms like Mac. However, before doing so, it needs to be stabilized which in turn requires some major rework, mostly in the graphics stack. What I absolutely want to avoid is to consume other contributors work which would ultimately be vaporized by some fundamental change in architecture.

Anyway, we'll be happy to see you around the discord server.
About Charlatan, I've found something strange. I've started using xform modulators and I've found it useful to transform input velocity. Then I tried to transform envelopes to get even faster envelopes & it worked fine, but doing the same in mono and poly sounds really different. I've tried different sources, destinations, and xform slots. It's noticeable with evelopes.
I've attached a patch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but just switching from "retrigger" to "poly" makes the envelope modulate filter in a different way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karrikuh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:56 am Thanks for the input. Yes mouse wheel support is currently limited, it mostly works for controls with discrete steps. I intend to improve on this in the future.
Very cool to hear, I can see myself using this synth when this is added. Even though I have an overload of commercial stuff, "simple" is good.
rafa1981 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am I'm not totally sure what you mean. If you establish a new modulation via dnd, the window should popup automatically so you can directly start adjusting the mod depth. If you mean to re-adjust the depth at a later point, the yeah, you need to open the window again, however, I don't see any short cut here, because without the window, how would you decide which modulation to adjust in case of multiple sources connected to a given parameter?
I'm talking about readjusting yes. Most of the time a parameter will have only one modulation source (80%+?), so it could work by only changing the first source this way. For the second and up the dialog is needed.

This would be much more work; but alternatively it could work as on U-he hive: where cliking on a source (LFO1 on the screenshot below) shows the modulation amount on the secondary track around each knob receiving from it:
New Bitmap Image.png

Thanks for that amazing peace of software! 8)

Return to “Instruments”