Which VSTs and samples to sound similar to Miss Monique?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I am a synth noob and a hobbyst. :dog: :D Just to give you some context.

I'd like to understand which VSTs and samples to have to sound similar to Miss Monique.

I own Cubase 13 (Retrologue 2, Padshop and halion SE) plus Serum. Are they enough?
For sounding similar, of course, I just mean at sounds sets arsenal at my disposal.
Arrangment, talent and creativity is another story and it isn't the topic of my thread.

Do you have a any tips, keywords to search and suggestions to share?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/yoRySSq634o?si=Ptfp73rj6d5Lw95d

sigh…

I’m not gonna call what she’s doing “DJing” out of respect to actual* DJs (let the cries of sexism ring out!), but if you want the sounds you hear in the video, you’re better off finding the tracks that are playing and asking specifically about those.

One of the first comments on the video has a playlist with timestamps.

* Yes, I do feel a need to call this stuff out, because it’s to the point actual real-life DJs are the ones who get called fake because they’re not dancing and touching and turning every knob and button, or spinning the control platter to make it look like it’s somehow creating the wooshing sfx in the pre-recorded song. I mean I know it’s a lost cause, but still it’s almost a moral thing to me now as a music performer.

mementus wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:29 pm Hi - I am a synth noob and a hobbyst. :dog: :D Just to give you some context.

I'd like to understand which VSTs and samples to have to sound similar to Miss Monique.

I own Cubase 13 (Retrologue 2, Padshop and halion SE) plus Serum. Are they enough?
For sounding similar, of course, I just mean at sounds sets arsenal at my disposal.
Arrangment, talent and creativity is another story and it isn't the topic of my thread.

Do you have a any tips, keywords to search and suggestions to share?

Thanks

https://youtu.be/yoRySSq634o?si=Ptfp73rj6d5Lw95d
Maybe grab this... https://www.freshlysqueezedsamples.com/ ... tials.html

Synth wise yeah, I'd say you're good!

i need Help wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:00 pm sigh…

I’m not gonna call what she’s doing “DJing” out of respect to actual* DJs (let the cries of sexism ring out!), but if you want the sounds you hear in the video, you’re better off finding the tracks that are playing and asking specifically about those.

* Yes, I do feel a need to call this stuff out, because it’s to the point actual real-life DJs are the ones who get called fake because they’re not dancing and touching and turning every knob and button, or spinning the control platter to make it look like it’s somehow creating the wooshing sfx in the pre-recorded song. I mean I know it’s a lost cause, but still it’s almost a moral thing to me now as a music performer.
I've been DJing for nearly 20 years... all I see in that video is somebody DJing. What exactly is she doing that makes you believe otherwise?

I believe Cristoph made the first track in her mix... he's not exactly the most animated of DJs behind the decks and I doubt anyone's calling him a fake DJ... really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FjueSYCE0I
Last edited by andymcbain on Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delete
Last edited by andymcbain on Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delete

Retrologue is a very capable virtual analog synth, but it's often overlooked (I rarely use it, actually). Then you have Serum, which is a popular synth afaik, especially when it comes to edm / progressive house and the like (I never tried it, though).
Speaking of synths, I think you have enough to cover the basics... Of course there are a lot of synths out there, you may want to add something at a certain point (when you're looking for a specific character or some particular features) and this is probably the best time of the year for purchase... I don't feel like giving suggestions because I'm not into progressive house; but Retrologue seems a good choice to me for well produced, tightly controlled music.

My main concern would be drums. I think Cubase has a EDM drum library among the factory content. I don't know if it's included in every edition, I remember downloading something but I never listened to it, so I don't know if it actually fits the style. I would probably give a look at the WaveAlchemy catalogue (there are also other good brands for samples, for example I highly rate Goldbaby and F9 Audio, but WaveAlchemy is probably the one I would associate the most with the aesthetics of progressive house and the like).

Then I would think about effects. Cubase includes some and in the latest few major releases they fill gaps that were covered by third party products in the past... still, that's an area worth of some considerations, in my opinion.
I don't know what effects you already own, but something like ShaperBox (or maybe the new _Efx Motion by Arturia, but I didn't try yet) is probably a safe bet. But Cubase 13 has a new plugin called "FX Modulator" which provides similar features (although it seems more limited).
Cubase has a maximizer plugin, but if you have some spare money you may want to look at Sonnox Inflator while it's on sale. It's a classic plugin, but I would suggest you to demo it first, because you may be ok with just the maximizer plugin included in Cubase.
I'd also consider the Transient Shaper by Softube while on sale (although I think I saw it for even less in the past), but Cubase has a transient designer (called Envelope Shaper) and a more complex plugin called Squasher, so make sure to demo before purchasing. A transient designer is useful when working with drums (and sometimes also with other sounds), I like the one by Softube but it's a personal preference.

A lot of things are actually "personal preferences". Cubase includes a lot, I have my third party preferences over the included ones, but it's hard to provide suggestions, both because the included plugins are good, especially the recent ones, and also because I'm not into progressive house.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Thank you all for the kind replies. I'll take into account them.
I share a YouTube "tutorial" I found that explains a few tips on the subject, for those interested.
See Ya
https://youtu.be/0YHlLN8pJ5s?si=SxhPqjDJJnI-Wr9y

i need Help wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:00 pm sigh…

She’s not DJ’ing. Proper DJ’s use vinyl. And it’s not sexist to call this shite out
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Hoo boy. She is miming a pre-recorded thing. She is nervous - probably doesn't want to fall in the pool seeing the hotel is closed so no hunky pool boy to fish her out.

Most of these things have very simple sounds as such. The "magic" is in how they are put together. The things to focus on are:
a) rhythm and syncopation.
b) arrangement
c) mixing.

I will say that this is not easy if you don't have the feel for it. I do not have that feel myself as such, esp for that "modern" feel (which to me is less about Story and more about technicalities - a "workout"). Trying to find the "right sounds" will not really get you there. I could own Serum for a year and still not sound like that. I would sound like Benedict, as that is my style.

What you can do to help you achieve pieces that flow is to deepen your understanding of how music works. There are two essential streams:
a) Harmony which helps you to understand how to take your piece idea from a couple of bars to a complete piece. None of this is a formula but a deeper understanding.
https://youtu.be/R3xe-pZZbCM?si=L9YNp9AsDT7d8n0w
b) Sound which is also two parts in sound design for the sounds to work in THIS piece (ie not presets) and then Mixing.
https://youtu.be/m8cKpbzGy4s?si=itRBgh8IeGVrQz0W
:-)

Return to “Production Techniques”