Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:54 am
sandandpaint wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:15 am
databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 am
cake builder wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 pm Looking in the manual, I don't see, but is it possible to change the LFO rate to hertz and not time divisions?
Currently no, this was a decision to dissuade mathematic approaches to sound design and encourage exploration and creativity using ears. I have discussed this with Peter, and at the time it was far too late into development to add this in (every time based control would have to follow as they share a system).

I can not make any promises, but I will suggest this to at least be displayed in the tooltips as a readout (like it is for delay and filter frequency)
if I get the chance to demo the restriction to musical time base divisions rather the Hz would be a bit of a turn off for me - I find asynchronous slow modulation is more organic than mathematical. If anything musical divisions are a bit too crude and mechanical for some applications
oh, you can definitely desync them from the tempo, it just doesn't display the value in hertz, you'll see a little + or - next to the division, this indicates that it's faster or slower than that division (aka not synced to the tempo)
fantastic, thanks for that - here's hoping support can get me a demo :)

BoogerSnot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 am Okay this just clicked for me.... Helps to read the manual sometimes! :D

The Irises are essentially oscillator creators, and quite cool ones at that. The color transformers (bottom row of transformers) provide variety and change throughout the Iris, though sometimes that change makes everything sound the same, however you will see this on the Iris by the color indicator (colors become the same). So, if you want more change in your oscillator, use the transformers to provide more color to the Iris.

Make sense so far?

Then, the way you reach the different sections of each Iris is through the modulation system and the position transformer, with of course the option to fade or ring modulate between the two Irises! 8) This can make for some really cool oscillators, in essence the starting point of your patch.

Reminds me a bit of wavetable synthesis, so it may not reinvent the wheel per se, as it's sort of the same concept.

From there, you add: filter, FX, traditional osc, more modulation, etc.

Hope that helps those curiously sniffing and poking at this synth.

EDIT: And yes, some of the transformers on the top row also alter the Iris, but just the shape and not the color. Bottom line, the transformers as whole create your Iris for you, create your wavetable-esque oscillator.
Well explained and very helpful! I have to agree that it took me quite some days to figure out whats actually going on. There is a learning curve with MYTH for sure, yet it is also rewarding imho.

Another thing to try out is overdriving the Output using the Gain - knob, maybe compensating using the -6dB function. Leads to some good results, making things a bit fuller also slightly warmer.
You can be creative in any right place on Earth, and not only in the wealthiest cities. Bring the world feelings from everywhere, and not only feelings of capitalistic or jail environment.
― Aleksey Vaneev

There is a reproducible bug in LogicX: I have saved my own customized MYTH Init preset as default in Logic, whenever I try to load that patch Logic crashes, unfortunately without crash report.

finally got a demo working and I like this quite a bit. I already have Tomofon tho and prefer that for the soundspace I find Myth is best for so far. Early days but.

I encountered a bug that confused me for a moment. I had a patch with a ramp LFO, with Retrigger, Poly, no loop. Added a Curve and Pos to it to experiment, but then removed the Pos. Saved the patch, reloaded it, and the LFO had an offset (it would retrigger partway through and then overflow back to the start). I had to add a Pos module with the offset at 0 to fix it.

sandandpaint wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 pm finally got a demo working and I like this quite a bit. I already have Tomofon tho and prefer that for the soundspace I find Myth is best for so far. Early days but.
I just listened to the Tomofon demo tracks and even though they've probably had EQ and compression etc. applied they sound worse than Myth. Also, Tomofon doesn't appear to have any FM. It seems like more of a resynthesis focused synth.

Ou_Tis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:59 pm
sandandpaint wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 pm finally got a demo working and I like this quite a bit. I already have Tomofon tho and prefer that for the soundspace I find Myth is best for so far. Early days but.
I just listened to the Tomofon demo tracks and even though they've probably had EQ and compression etc. applied they sound worse than Myth. Also, Tomofon doesn't appear to have any FM. It seems like more of a resynthesis focused synth.
What I make with Tomofon sounds nothing like the demos or presets :)

re Myth - I think it sounds great but for what I am looking for I dont think it adds anything beyond what Tomofon and other synths I have offer. I will still keep demoing it.
re FM and just as an aside, Imaginando FRMS has a great combination of subtractive and granular synthesis and FM

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:16 am There is a reproducible bug in LogicX: I have saved my own customized MYTH Init preset as default in Logic, whenever I try to load that patch Logic crashes, unfortunately without crash report.
I can't reproduce that bug. Myth 1.0.8 under Logic 10.7.9 on MacOS 12.7.4 on Intel i5 iMac here.

awesome glad you got it going
may I ask how? did you support fix it or did you try the website again later?
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:16 am There is a reproducible bug in LogicX: I have saved my own customized MYTH Init preset as default in Logic, whenever I try to load that patch Logic crashes, unfortunately without crash report.
are you able to upload the patch so I can try it? I was not able to reproduce this
also which OS are you on?
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:08 pm
are you able to upload the patch so I can try it? I was not able to reproduce this
also which OS are you on?
On that computer it's OS Catalina running Logic 10.6.3 - I'll upload the AU preset tomorrow.

databroth wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:07 pm
awesome glad you got it going
may I ask how? did you support fix it or did you try the website again later?
Haven't heard back from support yet but I changed my password to comply with the error message and that worked. A bit strange I could have a password that both worked and did not work depending on the context

I wish we could make the preset names longer....

This, ... is an interesting one.

Up to 6 oscillators (optional unison on each), a wide range of filter types and configurations, FM/AM/RM/Orbit/Math modulations, MPE and microtonality, various distortions and other effects such as resonators, ... hmm.

And, in addition, there's that pair of funny looking stars (and their transformers) up top.

Must investigate ...

Downloaded the demo and played around a bit. It's a very capable synth. I'm not sure the UI is for me though. It seems pretty busy, while not conveying enough information. I'd honestly prefer a multi "lane" quasi modular representation (zebra is a good example I guess) for the amount of parts involved in making a patch. Like: Iris at the top, then a scrollable poly section, a scrollable FX section, and a scrollable mod section. This is just based off of making like 7 sounds from the init sine patch. The sound quality of the components is great. I agree with others that the resynthesis is kinda iffy. I had the best results resampling myth itself. I haven't tried using odd sounds much yet, just some "real" instrument single notes, a couple drum hits, and a vocal sample. I do feel that some control over the resynthesis analysis and reconstruction would be great ( I almost always feel that way). It sounds very much like a pitch flattened wave table generated from an fft to me ( not really good or a bad thing). Some of the processors that can be used, per voice and as FX, are really cool. The modal filter and resonator are the standouts to me. I'd love to see the "machine learning" used for importing sounds attempt to pull apart the excitation part and the resonating part of a file (or an option to attempt this as it could be really fun even when the algorithm gets it completely wrong) and splitting them to the iris and the resonator/ modal filter.

CPU isn't insane with the default settings, but it isn't great either especially with "simple" sounds. I'm not really interested in presets, but I'll play around with those too just for fun.

With the amount of synthesis options I already have, this isn't anything like a must have. It seems more like a very different interface put on top of relatively familiar bits and pieces of DSP and then fed into a very cool semi modular processing chain with poly and mono stages. I'm sure the presets are grand, but I don't really want or need any. I love that it has robust MPE implementation as well as Mts-esp. I'll keep on playing with it and see.

I hope it does very well for dawesome. if someone needs a giant preset bank of cool atmospheric sounds for scoring this is a gem.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Instruments”