About MuLib (Splitted from other topic)

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mutools wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:46 pm That virtually means using the same user folder and is not recommended atm.
This would be awesome to have some sort of unified presets folder happening... Going through the Mulib (which is amazing thank you for organizing such a great community resource) and compiling bits and pieces (which is hard for a weird brain like mine) is a bit confusing, I struggle to organise the folders correct as some of the presets that rely on samples/wavetables don't load properly and I'm sure it's because I don't know how the folders should be set up... I try but I can't get it through my head, add to that having to manage it twice for 2 apps and I'm just exhausted thinking about it (I still have a go, but I inevitably end up with presets that give me resource missing errors and what not because I can't figure out where everything needs to go.

Long story short, I would LOVE to have a more convenient and streamlined way to manage presets that even a simpleton like myself can understand. :)

Great to know it's on the radar... Cheers. D.

There is a downside to the MuLib that you should know about. Presets made with older versions of MuLab require updating before being compatible with newer versions of the app/plugin.

If a preset was made in v6 it needs updating to each major version, though I think it may just need v8 then updating to v9, not sure.

Just something to be aware of, that's all. :)

sl23 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:22 pm There is a downside to the MuLib that you should know about. Presets made with older versions of MuLab require updating before being compatible with newer versions of the app/plugin.
It depends how old the preset is.
If it's made pre M8 then it indeed needs to be upgraded using M8 to be usable in M9.
If a preset was made in v6 it needs updating to each major version, though I think it may just need v8 then updating to v9, not sure.
Older presets only need to be upgraded using M8, so that's just 1 upgrade step.

I thought I rembered reading that, wasn't 100% sure as I always keep up to date.

Out of curiosity, for newcomers, if you purchased M9 license and used old presets, can you use the free version of M8 to upgrade?

Would it be possible to have a "built in" converter that just informed the user the preset would load, but was being converted ?

That would make sense. Maybe itll add too much code though? If you think about it, you'd have to add conversion from pre M5 or M4 whichever is the precursor to M8 presets. Then future proofing requires further coding, which I get is integrated, but eventually becomes redundant due to further development of the preset engine.

Dev time should be minimal as the code already exists in previous versions. Just whether Jo thinks its worth spending time on this.

I would be willing to update the entire mulib as its pretty quick and simple. Then as mulib would be current, the idea of MuLab automatically updating presets would go from M9 onwards.

What do you think?

The reason why M9 can only load projects & presets made with M8 is that a lot of old code can be removed which makes MuLab's codebase more easy to develop, to grow.

I know that having to upgrade old projects & presets via MuLab 8 is an unpleasant step for the user, but atoh it's also in the user's advantage that MuLab's codebase stays fresh & green.

Removing old upgrade code is only done very sporadically. Last time this was done was at MuLab 4.
Next time will only be in several years, i expect.

Note that there is a preference "MuLab 8 Exe Filepath".
When you set this to a proper MuLab 8 installation folder then MuLab 9 will use that MuLab 8 to open an older M4/M5/M6/M7 project, which makes it easier for the user to save the project using MuLab 8 and hence make it compatible with MuLab 9.

sl23 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:17 pm That would make sense. Maybe itll add too much code though? If you think about it, you'd have to add conversion from pre M5 or M4 whichever is the precursor to M8 presets. Then future proofing requires further coding, which I get is integrated, but eventually becomes redundant due to further development of the preset engine.

Dev time should be minimal as the code already exists in previous versions. Just whether Jo thinks its worth spending time on this.

I would be willing to update the entire mulib as its pretty quick and simple. Then as mulib would be current, the idea of MuLab automatically updating presets would go from M9 onwards.

What do you think?
I really like this idea. Just keep the existing versions for folk on older versions. Perhaps a new M9 Mulib folder along side.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

About MuLib: I'd rather upgrade everything to M9.
That will make it compatible for years.
Users still on older MuLab versions should upgrade to MuLab For Life.
I think that's a neat, gentle and efficient solution.
Right?

If you're OK with it, I'd like to help out and update mulib.

I agree with your comment about lean and green. Probably the best and easiest way tbh.

So, just to clarify, all mulib's current presets are M8 compatible? Meaning I should be able to open then save with M8 then M9 in order to update everything?

sl23 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:09 pm If you're OK with it, I'd like to help out and update mulib.
Ok with me as MuLib is a user based project.
So, just to clarify, all mulib's current presets are M8 compatible? Meaning I should be able to open then save with M8 then M9 in order to update everything?
I don't think all MuLib files are already on M8 level.
And if they would, then there is no need at all to upgrade them :wink:

Best is to download entire MuLib and use MuLab menu -> Tools -> Show MuTools File Versions to see which files are pre M8 and thus need upgrading via M8.

Ok, will do.

One more thing, would it be better to only update the MuLib to M8 instead of M9? It seems many users are still on M8 thats all. But if you prefer it to be up to date, then I'll update to M9.

Also, how should I go about getting all the presets back into MuLib once done? Should I send you the zips or post them here?

sl23 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:51 pm One more thing, would it be better to only update the MuLib to M8 instead of M9? It seems many users are still on M8 thats all. But if you prefer it to be up to date, then I'll update to M9.
Upgrade to M8 is sufficient for now.
Also, how should I go about getting all the presets back into MuLib once done? Should I send you the zips or post them here?
Best to update MuLib itself.

Ok, M8 it is.

How do I do that? I've downloaded the MuLib and will update it, but I can't update MuLib directly. So I will rezip the folders but what do I do with them?

Don't you have write permission to MuLib?

Return to “MUTOOLS”