The latest Behringer goings on.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looks like rack only. Hopefully they'll do a keys version and I'd even consider a desktop version. Not keen on rack synths at all. But even despite that... :hyper:

Looks like a panel for a keyboard. The knobs and buttons would have to be baby-sized for that to fit into a rack.

Yeah it's a panel. If they actually nail the jupiter 8 sound with split keyboard function, I think it might be too good to pass on.
<list your stupid gear here>

Unlike the UB-XA, the Jupiter 8 had discrete VCOs.
Cramming 16 voices of these into the frame is gonna get mighty toasty and the JP8 had a heatsink on the back for the 8 voices and power supply

CoolColJ wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 am Unlike the UB-XA, the Jupiter 8 had discrete VCOs.
Cramming 16 voices of these into the frame is gonna get mighty toasty and the JP8 had a heatsink on the back for the 8 voices and power supply
Oh cmon now, that's a bit misleading. The heatsink was just for the pass transistors for the power supply and nothing else. We haven't used linear power supplies like that in consumer electronics for quite a while. Today almost everything uses much more efficient switching power supplies.

Secondary fuses are 1.6 amp, so, the reality is it's not that big and not that toasty. Moreover, if B does do discrete VCOs then they will be surface mount so they will take up much less space. Never mind the outdated digital logic that consumes a healthy chunk of that power diet.

I recall Behringer released pics of the circuit boards before the panels and I don't think heat will be that much of an issue, but of course, it's a guess at this point in time.

Will be either cavernous like the insides of a pro5 r4 or jammed packed like the Polybrute.

Having owned a JP8 for a while, it does run pretty hot inside.

I highly doubt that pic is all the guts of the JT-16, when the Jp8 voice boards look like this :)

Voice boards on the left, CPU board on the far right.
Even if you shrunk each board with SMT, it would still occupy more space than shown

Someone made a clone of the JP8 voice boards and shrunk down still looks like this.
You need 4 of these for 8 voice, 2x for 16

Hopefully the JT-16 has full electronic calibration....
fiddling with trimpots of the JP8 is a nightmare

The JP8 hardware envelopes have a particular snappy sound and shape
It will be crucial to get this correct if they use software envelopes.

CoolColJ wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:28 am Having owned a JP8 for a while, it does run pretty hot inside.
That heat sink does nothing for that though. There's nothing particularly unique about the "discrete" oscillators. They're just a standard design not dissimilar to other op-amp based designs with a heated expo converter of the time.
I highly doubt that pic is all the guts of the JT-16, when the Jp8 voice boards look like this :)
Why not? I have a prophet 600 and the Pro-800 by comparison is sparse as hell, it's night and day. You're looking at decades old design with double sided PCBs and 1/4 watt resistors everywhere.
Voice boards on the left, CPU board on the far right.
Even if you shrunk each board with SMT, it would still occupy more space than shown

Someone made a clone of the JP8 voice boards and shrunk down still looks like this.
You need 4 of these for 8 voice, 2x for 16

Hopefully the JT-16 has full electronic calibration....
fiddling with trimpots of the JP8 is a nightmare

The JP8 hardware envelopes have a particular snappy sound and shape
It will be crucial to get this correct if they use software envelopes.
There's no guarantee that those boards are the final boards. They aren't the only pictures that I've seen. That said, it's pretty clear that all the bits are there and there are no pictures of the underside which is where most of the discrete parts will go. While I have no idea what stage that might in in terms of prototyping/production, I really don't think that B is going to post mock boards. They have no reason to only post some of the boards.

This picture looks substantially different.

https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-emba ... jupiter-8/

The envelope chips are a Roland proprietary part (IR3R01), same as what's used in the Juno 60, so I don't know what they'll do there, however, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use a discrete circuit. More likely they will either adapt a 3310 or potentially use digital envelopes. I suppose they could simply work on a replacement chip. I don't know if they just contracted with Rob from AMS or hired him, but he's done a lot of work with this sort of thing. Rob worked with B in some capacity on the ARP 2500 modules.

https://amsynths.co.uk/2019/05/09/roland-ir3r01-clone/

I'm quite confident that the B can solve these problems, however, given the cost to bring the UBXa to market, 3.5M, when it is almost entirely CEM from an analog POV makes me wonder what it will cost and whether it's worth it to them.

You will have plenty of room to put your shoes and lunchbox inside the keyboard.

Maybe they can have a slot for putting your sandwiches in to toast them, and a Teasmade surely isn't too much of an ask?

Uli British now?

If he were british then every synth would come with a tea cosy.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:11 pm Looks like a panel for a keyboard. The knobs and buttons would have to be baby-sized for that to fit into a rack.
Yeah, it totally looks like a keyboard panel, and not a rack/desktop. Very interesting... I guess in 3-4 years, we'll finally know what it is and how much it will cost. :party:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Moving towards official:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2024 ... nthesizer/
The company says that it will have “exact same analog circuitry” as the original.
LOL. Okay.

Even though it's early days and just a prototype, I like the stylized look of a jp8 with a modern spin.
Bring it in at ubxa prices and it doesn't even have to get 90% of the sound to shift ship loads.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”