Let‘s speculate about 5.2

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whats next? Will the Bitwig Team give us some long awaited features like ara2, pianoroll updates, midi comp, retrospective recording or a videotrack?

My feeling say we get a compressor Plus, new randomize bullshit and a samplepack🤣

Bitwig needs to address a number of basic and important bugs before adding new features. For example, plugin editors should retain their position when closed and reopened instead of jumping to the center of the screen (or, in some cases, even jumping to the adjacent screen).

Just allow the grid to load VCV modules. That sort of integration would be huge.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:55 am Bitwig needs to address a number of basic and important bugs before adding new features. For example, plugin editors should retain their position when closed and reopened instead of jumping to the center of the screen (or, in some cases, even jumping to the adjacent screen).
This is not a bug, its a feature request. 🤣

Zikax wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am Whats next? Will the Bitwig Team give us some long awaited features like ara2, pianoroll updates, midi comp, retrospective recording or a videotrack?

My feeling say we get a compressor Plus, new randomize bullshit and a samplepack🤣
Well the most sad thing would be "10 new synth toys to play with in the grid, 2 new Filters"...
Piano roll updates would be great. But only if they make sense. There's imho a lot of stuff which does not make sense, workflow-wise. So "updates" often would imply "fixing" the current behavior. A quality of life focused update would be insanely awesome.
Here's an example of behaviors which are unneccessarily slowing down or even destroying the workflow:
- Users have to press Enter each time, after re-naming anything in Bitwig
- When opening the Detail View, Bitwigs Piano Roll often does not show the region where the actual notes are, but something else, like the C7/8 region.
- There's no option for automatic horizontal zoom to fit for the piano roll/audio editor.
- You can't define a custom default setting for the piano roll/editor, which for example always shows certain lanes, and has note audition turned off.
- Accidental time-selection when trying to adjust the note-length of selected notes in the piano roll!
- Accidental time-selection when trying to select Clips in the Arranger
- Accidental time-selection when trying to select a point of automation
- In every DAW except Bitwig, when you want to select several clips in the arranger, you can trust this to happen, independently from where you start drawing the selection box. In Bitwig, you must start the selection box from the upper half of a Track-lane – otherwise you’ll get the time-selection. There must be an option to disable this. And instead have a fixed default tool (like the pointer tool), while of course maintaining the ability to quickly change the tools via shortcuts (1-5).
- Undo/Redo, Cliprecording and Auto-Arm should work, while recording into the Arranger is active! Right now, when you record into the Arranger, Undo/Redo is greyed out and dead, Auto-Arm doesn't work, and currently recording Clips in the Launcher do not land in the Arranger-Recording...
- We still can't see gridlines through Clips in the Arranger
- Playback Bars are too thin for good visual feedback for live-performance.
- Bitwig has no Clip-playback-progress shown on Track level. That means, that live performers with a big liveset will have zero visual feedback about the current Clip-Playback-Progress of Clips, until scrolling the Cliplauncher around in all directions where Clips are playing...
- Bitwig still can't export Midi (*.mid) files which include Automation. This means that if you export a Piano recording out of Bitwig and want to import it in Cubase, you will lose the Sustain Pedal information...
- When importing Midi Files with tempo info, Bitwig still will pop up an nagging dialogue asking the user whether the tempo info shall be imported or not. This must have an "remember setting"!
- Bitwigs Touch UI needs a fundamental overhaul. You can't even make normal selections, drag automationpoints via touch, access rightclick menues, or use the 1-5 tools. (Talking about true touch via finger, not pen).
- Bitwigs Browser has no shortcut for the "live preview" setting.
- Live preview on/off and Showing the Plugin Window yes/no should be saveable into the Bitwig Device Preset!
- Bitwigs Browser Tags and Categories should be fully editable and deletable! Being forced to categorize a custom library into predetermined categories is not a very user-friendly experience.
- and more.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm
Zikax wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:48 am Whats next? Will the Bitwig Team give us some long awaited features like ara2, pianoroll updates, midi comp, retrospective recording or a videotrack?

Well the most sad thing would be "10 new synth toys to play with in the grid, 2 new Filters"...
Piano roll updates would be great. But only if they make sense. There's imho a lot of stuff which does not make sense, workflow-wise. So "updates" often would imply "fixing" the current behavior. A quality of life focused update would be insanely awesome.
Here's an example of behaviors which are unneccessarily slowing down or even destroying the workflow:
- Users have to press Enter each time, after re-naming anything in Bitwig
- When opening the Detail View, Bitwigs Piano Roll often does not show the region where the actual notes are, but something else, like the C7/8 region.
- There's no option for automatic horizontal zoom to fit for the piano roll/audio editor.
- You can't define a custom default setting for the piano roll/editor, which for example always shows certain lanes, and has note audition turned off.
- Accidental time-selection when trying to adjust the note-length of selected notes in the piano roll!
- Accidental time-selection when trying to select Clips in the Arranger
- Accidental time-selection when trying to select a point of automation
- In every DAW except Bitwig, when you want to select several clips in the arranger, you can trust this to happen, independently from where you start drawing the selection box. In Bitwig, you must start the selection box from the upper half of a Track-lane – otherwise you’ll get the time-selection. There must be an option to disable this. And instead have a fixed default tool (like the pointer tool), while of course maintaining the ability to quickly change the tools via shortcuts (1-5).
- Undo/Redo, Cliprecording and Auto-Arm should work, while recording into the Arranger is active! Right now, when you record into the Arranger, Undo/Redo is greyed out and dead, Auto-Arm doesn't work, and currently recording Clips in the Launcher do not land in the Arranger-Recording...
- We still can't see gridlines through Clips in the Arranger
- Playback Bars are too thin for good visual feedback for live-performance.
- Bitwig has no Clip-playback-progress shown on Track level. That means, that live performers with a big liveset will have zero visual feedback about the current Clip-Playback-Progress of Clips, until scrolling the Cliplauncher around in all directions where Clips are playing...
- Bitwig still can't export Midi (*.mid) files which include Automation. This means that if you export a Piano recording out of Bitwig and want to import it in Cubase, you will lose the Sustain Pedal information...
- When importing Midi Files with tempo info, Bitwig still will pop up an nagging dialogue asking the user whether the tempo info shall be imported or not. This must have an "remember setting"!
- Bitwigs Touch UI needs a fundamental overhaul. You can't even make normal selections, drag automationpoints via touch, access rightclick menues, or use the 1-5 tools. (Talking about true touch via finger, not pen).
- Bitwigs Browser has no shortcut for the "live preview" setting.
- Live preview on/off and Showing the Plugin Window yes/no should be saveable into the Bitwig Device Preset!
- Bitwigs Browser Tags and Categories should be fully editable and deletable! Being forced to categorize a custom library into predetermined categories is not a very user-friendly experience.
- and more.
What i hate the most is you select a clip in the sequencer and the the meter on the left side disappears. It would be nice to have the meter and the audio events on the same window. Or just give us the option for that.

My guess... 5.2 will include a couple new bigger features, some workflow improvements, a few Grid modules, and some small but welcome changes.

Pretty much like every previous update.

I wonder if 'network sharing' will ever see the light off day...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

nowiamone wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm Well the most sad thing would be "10 new synth toys to play with in the grid, 2 new Filters"...
Personally I'd really appreciate 10 new things to play with in the Grid (*) and a couple of new filters, and have no use for non-Grid related sequencing stuff.

No matter what new features the next update brings, people will complaint that THEIR "must-have" feature wasn't implemented (or wasn't implemented the way they wanted it). That's just how this game works :shrug:

(*) especially if one of them is hosting plugins in the grid, and another one is sub-grids we can save in a preset library.

SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:00 pm I wonder if 'network sharing' will ever see the light off day...
I hope not. Well, if I can use it to sync presets and projects between my 2 computers, I would welcome that.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:05 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:00 pm I wonder if 'network sharing' will ever see the light off day...
I hope not. Well, if I can use it to sync presets and projects between my 2 computers, I would welcome that.
Its still on the website...

When will the collaboration features become available?

Collaboration features are planned for future versions of Bitwig Studio. Network support is already built into the core of the software and the Bitwig Studio project file format is designed bearing collaboration features in mind. So collaboration is part of the DNA of Bitwig Studio. We are dedicated to further develop our own collaboration technology.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I'd like the 1,000 to 1 bet of grid containers and scripting.

Also to 1,000,000 to 1 bet of single sample feedback in the grid.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

BobDog wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:43 pm I'd like the 1,000 to 1 bet of grid containers and scripting.
Like Max ~Gen or Java?

being able to make a GUI first!

Yep, or Lua maybe.

I forgot about the GUI as well :)

It's all fantasy land though.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Slices in the sampler, come on.

Return to “Bitwig”