I am dreaming of a bitwig drummachine controller... again...

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Question: What would be a controller that would bring bitwig drummachine or any drumsequencing endeavour the closest to the full functionality of a hardware drummachine?

Now, before you jump on your keyboard, I am indeed very aware that every grid type controller ( launchpads , fire, Pushes ) are able to act as a sequencer when running the moss extension... But that is not what I mean!
I mean a proper drummachine layout: mainly with 16 step buttons , 4 bars buttons, some knobs per track and possibly faders as well etc...
Yes the grid controllers can do kind of everything but they are based on a jack of all trades/ multiple assignement approach / multiple pages layout etc...
The traditional Drummachine layout is more immediate. A best-of-both-world / hardware + software drummachine concept had been tried by Arturia with the Spark, now sadly discontinued. I tried to repurpose it for using it exactly as the missing Bitwig drummachine, but I never managed to decript the Sysex messages and they would not release it. Believe me: I asked several times.. Anyway... Here is where I left off.

I believe this kind of controller would be an excellent addition to bitwig. People would think twice before adding a costly hardware drummachine to their setup if there is a cheap controller solution, thus avoiding all the hurdles of an hybrid setup ( Sync, backup, recalls etc ). Of course the dream would be Bitwig taking on themselves the manufacture of such a tailored hardware controller...

What do you think?

How far would driven by moss controller scripts for NI Maschine Mk3 controller go by your book?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1OhZq6 ... pr&index=4
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Software Side of things:
1. Lets start by improving what we already have: The simple Drum Machine of Bitwig. There are some common sense improvements which are low hanging fruits and would help a lot!
Like this: https://bitwish.top/t/splitting-drum-ma ... racks/2937
! This is absolutely essential!

2. Lets also not forget about further DAW Improvements which will also positively affect any Drum machine Track, because Bitwig would be more versatile: By introducing a real Groove-Pool, flexible for all Tracks and single Clips.

3. Then we can think about a better Drum Machine +, so to speak, which includes sequencing and whatnot. When i think of a drum-sequencer in software, i immediately also think about how it handles the Sample Library -> here we go again: yet another fundamental DAW feature improvement which would help Bitwig a lot: Improved Sample Browsing, like XLN Audios XO or Algonauth Atlas 2 has. The ability to show all of your library of Samples on a huge Galaxy-style map is quite fancy, but the real deal is being able to quickly replace 'similar' sounds based on AI similarity algorithms! In Atlas 2 you press on the Button "new kit" and you got a totally fresh sounding kit based on your own loop library. Or press on just one of the pads to replace with a similar sound... It's awesome and incredibly valuable.
So those are my thoughts about "drum machine dreams".
As you can see, it didn't even go as far as to reach a hardware controller, and that's because there are a LOT of software features which imho should and must come first! I don't even want to 'dream' about anything until point 1. is fixed!! :!: :)
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Fannon wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:01 am How far would driven by moss controller scripts for NI Maschine Mk3 controller go by your book?
still not really ticking any of the aforementioned boxes I am afraid :shrug:

I agree with nowiamone for the most part on points 1-3, though personally I don't care for XO/Atlas style browsing. I already built myself an insane modular drum machine with a purpose so I won't be browsing for drum samples for years, hopefully never again. Feels good. I don't like looking for things when I'm being creative.

Give me something like Triaz's sequencer + Groove pool and I'm set for electronic drums. In fact, I'll likely buy Triaz just for the drum sequencer as soon as they update it with MIDI out. I'm told it's coming. Unless Bitwig wants to surprise me of course. :wink: :wink:
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 1.20.30 AM.png

As for hardware, I'm happy with my Akai pads with simple transport functions and few knobs to work macros. I don't need nor want an external sequencer for drums. I rather do all my electronic drums ITB. It's a cleaner, faster workflow for me.

Does Bitwig even have the people or resources to build hardware? Unless something has changed they're a small team. Maybe they can work with someone on it, IDK. Never heard talk about anything like that from their camp. Seems like a lot to take on on top of keeping Bitwig updated for 3 operating systems but what I do I know, nada.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:59 am
Does Bitwig even have the people or resources to build hardware?
No...

Matjoe wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:20 am Question: What would be a controller that would bring bitwig drummachine or any drumsequencing endeavour the closest to the full functionality of a hardware drummachine?

What do you think?
IMO, when it comes to electronic drums, hardware drum machines are more satisfying to work with.

I've tried a variety of controller/software combinations and none of them have equaled the workflow/results I get with my Elektron boxes.

I have a Reliq on pre-order. Looks like a summer delivery is likely at this point. My latest exploration. :tu:

As pdxindy says, the best bet is some drum machines. Especially if you like the step parameter lock type of thing.

For using drums in a DAW a combination of some hardware with velocity sensitive pads and a hardware sequencer works pretty well.

For the pads I am using a Yamaha FGP-50.

For the sequencer I use a Cirklon and a Pyramid, both are up to the job and have their own advantages.

I have just started messing around with a Polyend play here as a midi drum sequencer, not yet used it enough to give a definitive recommendation...
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Push3 is a great MPE drum sequencer, best drum controller I have used.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:17 am Push3 is a great MPE drum sequencer, best drum controller I have used.
Would you say it's better than Push 2 in terms of drum controller ? Besides MPE, it seems pretty much the same.

trostiflex wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:47 am
SLiC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:17 am Push3 is a great MPE drum sequencer, best drum controller I have used.
Would you say it's better than Push 2 in terms of drum controller ? Besides MPE, it seems pretty much the same.
Yes, in terms of a drum controller if you are not interested in MPE drums, a 2 isn’t much different. Overall however I would say ther 3 is much better than that 2 and can of course be a stand alone drum machine.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BobDog wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:48 am
For the sequencer I use a Cirklon and a Pyramid, both are up to the job and have their own advantages.
There's also the OXI One and Hapax as other hardware sequencer options.

Refurb launchpad XL for the taps refurb launch control for the twibblea. I don't think you can get more for less. It's cheap enough to dedicate to the cause. Can you get more for less? I'd love to know. I'm a live fan so my dream controllers would be Ableton putting out a box with 10 faders and 5-6 encoders per fader that is all setup for the drum rack out of the box.

BobDog wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:48 amFor the pads I am using a Yamaha FGP-50.
Hey, pretty cool. I've never seen this thing before. Interesting. :tu:
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:36 pm
BobDog wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:48 amFor the pads I am using a Yamaha FGP-50.
Hey, pretty cool. I've never seen this thing before. Interesting. :tu:
The layout and the pads are pretty good, my skill sadly not.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Return to “Bitwig”