How Does MPE Work For Clap Instruments In Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When using non-clap synths, there is an option in Bitwig's inspector to enable MPE mode. When using a clap plugin, MPE mode is not available.... Therefore, I cannot do per-note pitch bends or use the expression modulator to modulate parameters.

It would help if you mentioned which plugin you are using.

Sorry, using Hive. It looks like I can get at the expression signals on the channel modulation and use that, but then it's monophonic and there's no per-note pitch bend. If I use vst3 and select MPE I get polyphonic expression control and pitch bend.

I don't understand why there's no option to select MPE for clap plugins

wilkins_micawber wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:16 pm Sorry, using Hive. It looks like I can get at the expression signals on the channel modulation and use that, but then it's monophonic and there's no per-note pitch bend. If I use vst3 and select MPE I get polyphonic expression control and pitch bend.

I don't understand why there's no option to select MPE for clap plugins
Are you using the latest Hive beta? (I think it is build 15139)

The reason there's no MPE button in Bitwig is because it's now automatic with the CLAP version.

I'm using the clap version posted in:
viewtopic.php?t=555734

Vital clap doesn't recognize pitch bend, either.. maybe my bitwig version is bugged

It's working fine for me in Bitwig's latest using a Roli Rise 49.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Often, when I think MPE PB is not working, it is actually working but PB-range on the synth is at like 2, when it wants to be 48.

Happens to me all the time with u-he unless I've remembered to lock PB-range to +/-48.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

I'm not sure I totally understood it, but here is my take:

Bitwig already has a concept of Note Expressions, which can be recorded via MPE or drawn in by hand in the Piano Roll. Whether a Device is MPE might be already known through the Controller Script.

With CLAP the Note Expressions are supported and passed through, so if the plugin supports CLAP with the right feature set, I'm not sure whether MPE is needed at all. Note Expressions / MIDI 2.0 can do what MPE does and more. MPE is more like a standardized workaround until we proper per-note expressions like with MIDI 2.0.

So with VST3, I have to enable MPE. But with CLAP and a plugin which supports Note Expressions (like the u-he beta), it's not necessary. I'm not sure whether Vital supports Note Expressions via CLAP?
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

This was my experience too often as well. No pitch bend in the CLAP version of a plug-in. I guess this will be ironed out in the future.
I would love to have a simple device to translate from expressions to Midi and vice versa… Would solve a ton of problems… Is there an equivalent for Midi channels in the expressions? Something like a voice number? Do we have access to those in the Grid?

Ideally, its per voice modulation. Not ideal, but per note modulation might be OK, too. But per channel is the workaround that MPE is using
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

The u-he clap plugins didn't have poly pitch bend working in some older betas but they do now. Maybe an older version was being used?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:08 am The u-he clap plugins didn't have poly pitch bend working in some older betas but they do now. Maybe an older version was being used?
Seems likely... the newest betas have poly pitch bend working

Return to “Bitwig”