All subtracks, all the time

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to punch in midi changes into a track, and no matter what I choose, merge, overwrite, punch or new clip, it keeps sticking it in a new subtrack. And thats if it even bothers to ask, sometimes it just doesn't ask. I'm actually attempting to edit a subtrack already, and its making 3rd ones. I tried to recreate this behavior on an empty new project, and a new project seems to act normal'ish. But that means I have to trash my project and rebuilt everything. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Note that the question "New - Merge - Overwrite - Punch - ..." will only be asked if there is a clip selected when finishing recording. Otherwise a new clip will be created.
When a new clip is created MuLab will try to put it on the focused track, as long as it won't overlap with other clips, else a new track is created.
Does this clarify what you encounter?

What do you mean "a clip selected"?
It kind of sounds like whats happening, except no matter what choice I make out of the popup window, any of the 4 choices, its making a new subtrack clip.

I'm only trying to punch in two notes, in the editor window, so I'm pressing play to get to the section that I want to record, and then hit the record button ON, before I reach the notes I want to record, then I hit the record button OFF, before I record over any other notes, while its still playing, instead of hitting play/stop. But I just rechecked every permutation I can think of, hitting stop instead of record off, and no matter what I choose, IF the options pops up, it still makes a subtrack. But it doesn't always pop up. Even when I try the exact same thing.

"Merge" or "Punch" should be what they sound like right? I'm not really sure what the difference between the two is. Shouldn't either choice insert what I just recorded into the track that I have selected, brought forward into the editor window, and recording into? Because it makes a subtrack whatever I choose.

I think something is goobered up. This project has been worked on through every update for the last couple of months, maybe its stepping on its own toes somehow. I tried it in a test project with one vst, and it seemed to work how I would expect it to. So I'm going to pull everything apart, save all the Sequences and Modules, and put it back together like a LEGO. Hopefully that fixes it.

I think what Jo is saying, can't test at mo due to copying a disk, is that you have a track already with some sequences on it, yes? So select this sequence you wish to add notes to, then press record and the notes should be added to the selected sequence, or clip. Is that right?

I have a track with midi notes in it. Is that what we mean by sequence?
I want to add new midi notes into the same track.

Out of curiosity, just in general, is there a way to combine tracks? Combine the midi notes from two tracks.

If I was trying to record into a track, something really awesome that would be hard to replay, that I want to keep, and it ended up in a subtrack by accident, or maybe its just a different track from a different day, is there a way to fold two tracks, of midi notes, into one? I tried just dragging and dropping the subtrack, up into the master track, which would be nice, but that doesn't seem to work.

Yes that's a midi sequence.
Not sure, but I don't think there is a combine tracks function.

You could try opening the specific sequence editor you want to combine and select all notes and copy paste them to the sequence editor of choice.

TorresBob88 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:03 am I have a track with midi notes in it. Is that what we mean by sequence?
Please read this doc page to get familiar with the specific terminology:
https://www.mutools.com/info/M9/docs/mu ... poser.html
That makes communication more fluent.
Out of curiosity, just in general, is there a way to combine tracks? Combine the midi notes from two tracks.
See the Sequence Clip -> Merge Sequence Clips function.
and it ended up in a subtrack by accident
No prob. You can move tracks up/down and reorder them as you want.

sl23 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:07 am You could try opening the specific sequence editor you want to combine and select all notes and copy paste them to the sequence editor of choice.
:)
I figured that I could do that, as a last resort.
But because we dont have any piano lane visual indication, other then just the striped lanes, it can be kind of hard to see where I'm putting it. But Its gotta be there somewhere. I can get it in 2-3 tries.
mutools wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:26 am
See the Sequence Clip -> Clips function.
I'll take a look for that.
I thought that there was, but I couldn't remember what it was called or where I saw it.
mutools wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:26 am
and it ended up in a subtrack by accident
No prob. You can move tracks up/down and reorder them as you want.
Actually what I was hoping to do, was drag that subtrack INTO, the parent track. or some other track. And maybe it could trigger the "Merge Sequence" dialogue. I'm a huge drag and drop fan. Its the best thing on the shelf next to semi-modularity.

Return to “MUTOOLS”