Rappers Voice ducks only special frequency range not the

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... whole mix. 8)

First: HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

Has anybody an idea how to handle this situation :?: :help:

There exists a plug from Dave Brown on his site http://www.db-audioware.com/dbd.htm

It's also a compressor which can be triggered by a desired signal. But it isn't able to compress only a special frequency range.

I'm searching for a plug which can do this. I fear it doesn't exist. So the only chance to manage this problem is to build a work around or build it with quantum-fx or reaktor or ... Tricks and Tips are welcome.

I'm using Cubase SX 1.06 on Win XP.

Have you tried my Dynamic EQ plug?

Synthedit made.. don't be put off by the GUI (there's a better one on the way 8) ), I think this does exactly what you want..

You're right...you could build one in QuantumFX (and I would imagine Reaktor too). QFX certainly has sidechaining and frequency conscious modules etc. It might not even be too difficult...there are presets within QFX that have ducking, and other ones that do frequency conscious compression...so it would be a case of looking inside both to see how to combine them up. I can't say I ever really got inside QFX though...it's one of my "things-to-do" when I can make time.

Sadly, I can't think of any s/w comps that do it off the top of my head.

There's always h/w...you might be able to pick one up 2nd hand reasonably priced? They don't tend to be that cheap new.

I'm not really into vocals, so I've never checked out what's available for de-essers...possibly do a search on those - maybe there's a s/w one that will go down lower than just the high frequencies?
And Waves maybe make something nowadays that'll do the job (not cheaply though :? )

Another thought is gates - in SX there's the frequency-conscious gate in the dynamics section - possibly that could be rigged up with long attacks and releases so that it doesn't actually fully gate, but just starts to pull down the volume - not sure if that can work that way. In fact.........scratch that - it'd still work onthe full spectrum for the actual gating. :(

Waves, I think would be the best to check out. They definitely make a frequency-conscious comp, surely they have something that could duck as well. TC Native used to have a side-chain plugin in the set, but they don't sell their Native pack now :(

Er, isn't Space Boy exactly what you're looking for, costs only $12.95??? Includes links to audio demos at the end of the thread.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50090

Specifically, it will "duck" one audio Track (Track A) based on the frequency of the audio on another track (Track B), so that Track B can be heard. It doesn't duck the whole track, just the specific frequencies that need to be cut.

Read the linked thread for more info... it sounds like it is a plug that *everyone* could use, if it performs as advertised. It needs to be more widely known. However, I have not tried it personally.....

-- Green
Last edited by Green Red Brownell on Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Green Red Brownell wrote:Er, isn't Spacd Boy exactly what you're looking for, costs only $12.95???

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50090
'Space Boy' is exactly the one to try.

Dude, you are clearly NOT getting the message out, until people in here just automatically say "Space Boy" in answer to threads like this.... :hihi:

i would automatically say, "Space Boy" is the answer to your question, Jonny.
erm..

Good evening,

Okay, i will give a try to the space boy. Also the dynamic eq. Good news :)

But i will also give a try to the solution combining different quantum-fx-units to build this effect.

Thanks to all :-)

Hmmmm...the message definitely isn't getting across - I'd never heard of Space Boy before (no that's not quite true...I'd heard of it, but had absolutely no idea what it is :hihi: )

But now, I will automatically try to remember that Space Boy is the answer to whatever this question was.

Right...now I'll go and have a look at it. :wink:

Right...had a look at it, and it looks spectacularly useful IMO. How on earth did I miss this one? It'll mean I can play my typical monstrously huge pads without decimated them with crappy Eq. In fact I can think of a huge numbar of ways of using it.

Nice!

Hm, dynamicEq is not what i was searching for. In fact it has sidechains but they can't be controlled by another signal afaik and the specific frequency range can't be controled just at the moment the bitening signal plays. :|

JonnySun 2.0 wrote:Hm, dynamicEq is not what i was searching for. In fact it has sidechains but they can't be controlled by another signal afaik and the specific frequency range can't be controled just at the moment the bitening signal plays. :|
Hmm.. I was considering making a version with an external side-chain input.. shall I take that as the first vote for that feature? :)

kritikon wrote:Right...had a look at it, and it looks spectacularly useful IMO. How on earth did I miss this one? It'll mean I can play my typical monstrously huge pads without decimated them with crappy Eq. In fact I can think of a huge numbar of ways of using it.

Nice!
i have it (trial) for about 2 weeks, exactly my thoughts. it will get really essential for me.
erm..

platinumears wrote:
JonnySun 2.0 wrote:Hm, dynamicEq is not what i was searching for. In fact it has sidechains but they can't be controlled by another signal afaik and the specific frequency range can't be controled just at the moment the bitening signal plays. :|
Hmm.. I was considering making a version with an external side-chain input.. shall I take that as the first vote for that feature? :)
do that!

tried your iq4 yesterday on a tune and left it in the master chain for ducking sum "rumbling" lower mids. worked fine, nice one! thanks.
erm..

Regarding Space Boy...is it fairly easy to use? I mean do I just drop an instance in each channel it automatically does it's thing? Or do I have to have a good knowledge of equalization?

Sorry for the hijack :oops:

Return to “Effects”